• old tv , you like?
    "its MY favourite song"
  • 127 Comments sorted by
  • Blakes 7 Just for a start, I like loads of old TV
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Recently grabbed a pile of Doomwatch episodes from PooTube.

For all the age they're showing (it was '70 to '72 after all!) they had some great ideas for plot lines. A bacteria that destroys plastic, for example. Never released in full on TV or DVD since so dodgy web downloads still the only place to see them some 40+ years on!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.

For all the age they're showing (it was '70 to '72 after all!) they had some great ideas for plot lines. A bacteria that destroys plastic, for example. Never released in full on TV or DVD since so dodgy web downloads still the only place to see them some 40+ years on!

I'm not sure how many of these actually exist, like a lot of great TV from the 60s and 70s the BBC decided to junk them, as I am sure you were aware. I've seen a few bits and pieces of Doomwatch, have the movie, which is pretty good, would love to see some of those episodes though. I think Doomwatch was included in that 'cult of' series shown on BBC 4 sometime ago. I do recall some of Doomwatch was released on VHS back in the 90's but certainly no DVD has ever been forthcoming

My next choice, something simmilar to Blakes 7 I guess, that bombed very badly but certainly had its charm was.... Star Cops
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

I'm not sure how many of these actually exist, like a lot of great TV from the 60s and 70s the BBC decided to junk them, as I am sure you were aware. I've seen a few bits and pieces of Doomwatch, have the movie, which is pretty good, would love to see some of those episodes though. I think Doomwatch was included in that 'cult of' series shown on BBC 4 sometime ago. I do recall some of Doomwatch was released on VHS back in the 90's but certainly no DVD has ever been forthcoming

I've got watcheable downloads of:

Series 1, episodes 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11

Series 2, episodes 1 to 6

• I've got watcheable downloads of:

Series 1, episodes 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11

Series 2, episodes 1 to 6

Ooh (turns ever so slightly green) when you say 'watchable' does this mean varying sound and picture and quality ;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

• Ooh (turns ever so slightly green) when you say 'watchable' does this mean varying sound and picture and quality ;)

Actually not too bad - just not huge dimensions wise (around 480x360) and a tiny bit soft but pretty solid otherwise.

PM me which you want...... :-\"
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2013-07-06 13:02:50
  • What's 'old'?
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I guess anything pre- 2000? Although 2000 is now pretty old isn't it.

Fawlty Towers anyone? It never stops being funny unlike other comedies, which I better not mention in case anyone feels differently ;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • That's a lotta tv.
  • Yeah, I'd find it hard to look back on anything made post-'85 with a nostalgic or sentimental view. Pre-1985 includes all those programmes mentioned above.

'Fawlty Towers' (mid-70s) certainly set the bar for TV comedy. Timeless :) There were a few other decent Brit comedies from that decade (eg Porridge, Dad's army) but there were also some that would be virtually unwatchable now (Terry and June, umm... Metal Mickey?)

• I really enjoyed 'Fawlty Towers' when I could get it. What was the one about the hippie-ish neighbors who decided to live off the land?
  • ^ The Good Life... yes, that was, well... good! I think the male actors are dead now. Little Felicity Kendal still going strong.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-07-06 17:06:57
  • the good life. penelope Keith was very classy as margot.
    "its MY favourite song"
  • last of the summer wine, allo allo, open all hours, dad's army, the good life just to name a few classic,s ;)
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....
  • I just looked it up; it was called 'Good Neighbors' here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!