Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • Previously the - Title courtesy of Ruby Wax's brilliant new book.

Share if you'd like to, your experiences with mental health and mental health concerns :)
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-02-19 05:57:40
  • 327 Comments sorted by
  • I cannot advocate talking to someone strongly enough....my brother in law passed away in 2009 which left our family reeling. Then the following New years eve I lost my partner and started grief counseling as I had been off work for nearly three months afterwards and could not see a way to get back I did not want to go down the med route as I had seen how they had affected a friend of mine. Whilst having the counseling Mum became ill and she then passed away....all three were long protracted hospital illnesses and that hit the remaining family to the core.

I stopped seeing my counselor about three months ago....she was the most amazing person and also a real hoot....I don't know where I would be now if she had not been there at that time. I am so glad that we hit it off as well as we did to as if you don't have a connection you need to find another professional. It has been the most unbearably painful few years for the entire family and I know that we are not the only ones going through this and much much worse too.  I understand that these things do not always work for everyone though so you can only do what feels right at the time.

As others have said stress can inflame the situation in either direction and sadly that is almost impossible to avoid 99.9% of the time.
    Post edited by Cervus at 2013-06-26 04:47:20
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • You walked in through a beaded glass curtain to enter Pulse. Instead of going straight in, I'd always go to the left and into the boy's go-go bar. There were usually 2 or 3 hot young men in g-strings dancing on top of the bar itself and one working the stripper pole. There was a black light on and a palpable animal electricity in there. I loved watching them, they were just so absolutely free.

From there, I'd cut through the back, past the DJ booth, and out onto the dance floor. Ahh, the girls. The drink of choice was Blue Heavens and we'd drink until our inhibitions were sufficiently lowered.They would teach me how to Latin dance and the art of 3-way kissing. I would have to go to the outside bar just to cool down and let my heart rate slow down.

It's been 3 years since the attack. I went through a really weird grieving stage with it. I had both the fight and flight responses. I moved house. I isolated for awhile, which I came out of..but I'm still dealing with a 'give no fucks' attitude about things. It's an apathy, when I used to care so much about everything. Still working on things I guess- my fire is returning ever so slowly.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • You know what: I will delete this so people won't get accidentally offended when I referred to coping mechanisms for dealing with mental health issues.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:50:40
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria

• Thanks a lot for opening this discussion folklore. I hope it works out constructively

I have to remove my comments now, sorry folks
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-07-03 21:30:15
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • I'm glad this thread idea has gotten such a good response :)
    I agree with everything you have written Border_Mind!  I've suffered very badly from extreme OCD and depression. Constructive mental health services are few and far between, I prefer to rely on medication than talking to people.

My thoughts have been terrible recently and have no idea why. I suppose like any rash, there are culprits that can inflame it. Stress. This mainly really is probably what has started depressive thoughts again!
  • In three months I'll be a fully qualified mental health nurse :)

This is why I've had a protracted absence from the old GMB, due to.studying and being out on placement.

If I can be of any help to anyone (shoulder to cry on online etc) please let me know.

As for Don't Call.Me Crazy... That unit is literally up the road from me. I do.hope to work with adolescents with complex needs (depending on the job scenario)
  • You know what: I will delete this so people won't get accidentally offended when I referred to coping mechanisms for dealing with mental health issues.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:50:59
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • I think it's great to have this thread too. I support the idea that MH issues should be raised and discussed openly. I've been on anti-deps, mostly Prozac, continuously for the last 20 years and see no likelihood that I'll ever be able to wean myself off, much as I'd love to. There just isn't the support to help people do this. If I were to try I'd no doubt need an extended period of time off work which just isn't possible. I'm in a good place emotionally at present, with the support of a loving and understanding partner at long last. My well-meaning but inexperienced friends cannot understand why I still need the medication, but as we know, it's about brain chemistry and chemical dependence. I would like to hear from anyone who can offer any suggestions...
    I guess the reason I'm such a huge fan of Goldfrapp is (as I've commented before)  because there is music for every mood; melancholic, whimsical, upbeat. I listen to Supernature and Head First at full pelt when I need cheering up....I hope Al and Will know how much they are appreciated, there is no substitute for music and art therapy. 
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:51:11
  • Be careful when guessing... And when labelling with terms such as personality disorder based on a few written words.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:51:17
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:51:27
  • Stranger said:

But it's nice you're looking after him. We need more of that in the world.

It's the job but cheers, its hard to switch off from it. Even on here.

A key aspect of it is language and I'm not a fan of personality disorder as a term, it encourages further stigma from public and professionals alike.

As for self-harm (automutilation sounds like a reflex reaction.... What a terrible notion), yes there are always underlying issues that need addressing.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:51:34

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!