Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 327 Comments sorted by
  • Looking at the posts of yours, Stranger, I think I'll back off this thread for now.

I don't have the references, quotes, stats and such you do and all I have is my own personal experience. That's probably not going to be as useful to others in need.

I wish you folks well for now and each day in the future.

Carpy, personal experience is way more valuable than facts and figures...

• Stranger, the belief and trust in the medical field is so strong these days that you will likely not, by talk, convince anyone of the danger it truly poses--or of the alternatives available. Via experience, however, many people will come to that realization on their own as we move closer to the end of this physics based paradigm.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • You know what: I will delete this so people won't get accidentally offended when I referred to coping mechanisms for dealing with mental health issues.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:52:46
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • You know what: I will delete this so people won't get accidentally offended when I referred to coping mechanisms for dealing with mental health issues.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:52:55
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • Stranger said:

I wholeheartedly agree.

So, shush. When they're ready, they'll come flocking to you as their guru.

• "Some people kill for less
     Some people find it hard to get dressed
     Some people will ask how old I am"

Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-07-04 11:00:24
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • agree with so much of what you say stranger, especially the obsession of diagnosing people, its just so they can pack them away into little boxes.
    i've worked with mental health support for many years now and i've known people to be given a diagnosis purely so they can be given a certain medication which they shouldn't prescribe without that diagnosis, if that makes sense? i've also know psychiatrists to give people meds, and diagnose people without even looking at the individual (literally! one time i told the psychiatrist the man we were talking about was behind him and if he turned round he would see what we were talking about and he literally refused to turn round and look at him, unbelievable). having said that i have also met some amazing people that really do want to do their best.
  • Wonderful thread folklore.
    To live in this world and to see and experience it...I don't think you can escape the battle with the mind. From a very young age I have witnessed and experienced alot. I grew up near Washington DC., so I used to see the Marches on Washington...Amnesty International, PETA, Gay Rights Movement..etc. I think depression stems from acknowledging the discord within your own compassionate, loving heart..but perhaps feeling a bit helpless about knowing how to deal with it.

It's knowing what you are seeing or experiencing is not right. Medication will not help this, only numb the feeling. There is a battle going on in this world. A world of Duality. We are not only taught right from wrong..but it is an internal presence as well. Witnessing or feeling the "wrong" creates an inner conflict. Perhaps loving yourself regardless of what the outside world may tell you and forgiveness to those who have broken the trust is the true way to heal. Life and care of life is just so important. Just like the bone we are made from..we become stronger in our broken places.

Ps. What a wonderful teacher you are Whisperit!
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • ping said:

agree with so much of what you say stranger, especially the obsession of diagnosing people, its just so they can pack them away into little boxes.

That's the nature of psychology--and religion and public education, for that matter. Unfortunately, they're also big businesses. Don't think that doctors aren't receiving kickbacks from all the pharmaceutical products that they push, or that legislators aren't on the payroll at Pearson and other publishers of educational materials.
  • Yep. There was a programme on radio 4 a while back saying that drug companies aren't researching things like new anti biotics cause they can't make enough money from them. They need people to be on long term medication, such as many of the drugs used within mental health and drugs like statins
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:53:06
  • Heya, just to say as well, I think this is a good idea for a thread and room for discussion. Have found it really interesting to read in terms of peoples experiences and I hope others will too.
    don't want to go into massive detail now and I'm also not an expert on facts, figures, or 'drugs', but I've had many years now of experience with my... 'shrink' haha, ok, my councillor, for a bunch of reasons.
    Again, won't talk too much now, but to be able to share with people or hear others experience on counselling ... I'm interested in hearing..
  • Laura said:

I've had many years now of experience with my councillor.

About your tax?  Haha. Soz Laura.. (I think it's the other spelling for that one?)

Seriously though, good to see - amongst all the silly stuff - a thoughtful & helpful thread.

I was seeing a "clinical psychologist" when in my late 20s, and was put on beta-blockers for a while. Not quite a "mental health" issue (or is it?), but I've suffered from panic attacks / anxiety... pretty much ever since then.

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-06-26 18:51:00
  • I have currently been on anti-depressants since January 2012 due to a complete breakdown mentally and physically that I didn't see coming in a million years. I was originally put on beta blockers due to misdiagnosis by two doctors before having a breakdown in front of a third doctor (female) who was so shocked that her colleagues had got it so wrong and missed the obvious signs of someone struggling to recognise for themselves what was happening to me. She took me straight off the beta blockers and onto the meds I'm still on. I was signed off work as was a complete wreck as anxiety kicked in big time and was literally climbing the walls.
    My first batch of "counselling" was just a shock to hear someone actually ask you if you had thoughts of suicide or self harm and actually hearing yourself say "well yes actually, everyday". To this day nobody in my family or closest friends knows this part only how they saw me at the time. How can you tell your parents something like that when one of them is having cancer treatment and the other just doesn't understand? I decided I can't tell them and still haven't to this day. That's my choice. I didn't really want to "talk" to a stranger as had councelling when I had an eating disorder in my early 20's and found it useless and felt I got over it myself. The suggestion by my doctor now is that mentally I never got over it hence all these things took years later to culminate into how I am now. I'm a hell of a lot better than I was and fear coming off the meds but know I won't be on them forever.
    I still have terrible dreams and don't sleep very well and my mood swings are monumental. I distrust people who claim they care such as my bosses who were all over me like a rash and couldn't do enough to help me a year ago, but have they bothered since, no as they assume I'm better because I went back to work. They just give me more to do as think I can cope.
    I'm actually fed up with constantly feeling tired or on edge and what confidence I did have went out the bloody window ages ago.
    That's my experience anyway and I've probably said more on here than to the people round me who need to know :-<
    Post edited by Hells_Bells at 2013-06-26 19:49:15
  • Bells said:

My first batch of "counselling" was just a shock to hear someone actually ask you if you had thoughts of suicide or self harm and actually hearing yourself say "well yes actually, everyday". To this day nobody in my family or closest friends knows this part only how they saw me at the time. How can you tell your parents something like that when one of them is having cancer treatment and the other just doesn't understand? I decided I can't tell them and still haven't to this day. 
    I'm actually fed up with constantly feeling tired or on edge and what confidence I did have went out the bloody window ages ago.

Your experience sounds so familiar to me. Even though my sister was going through a similar experience to me (not the same as different people/circumstances) I found it very hard to discuss with her how I was feeling after the loss of my partner as I was very aware that I did not want to make her feel any worse than she already was and my parents were both approaching 80 at the time so again did not want to worry them about my wavering emotional state. I tried to disguise it as much as possible when I was around them and support how they were feeling as my niece was having real difficulty coming to terms with everything that had happened and that was impacting hugely on my sisters well being so I kept sch-tum about the crippling devastation that was going on with me. I know now that in my circumstances that that was a mistake as when I finally did open up the floodgates my family were amazing. Sadly then Mum became ill at that point and everything went on the back burner again as we were all in and out of hospital visiting her she had always been such a strong person and the speed in which she became ill was so distressing as it mirrored the experience my sister and I had had with our respective partners. We are almost certain that her strength was trying to protect the pair of us from going through what we had already seen until she was unable to hide it any longer.

I ended up having E.M.D.R sessions with my therapist as she diagnosed me with P.T.S.D and that really helped as I was aware that my nervous state was wrecking my day to day life such as it was then. I can quite openly admit that my confidence is still nowhere near where it used to be and it was never really that great in the first place but it is a slow process and without wanting to sound cliched it started off with 'One day at a time' it doesn't become easier to deal with but your coping mechanism just somehow handles it better.

I am blessed to have Alice (my partners daughter) still as a big part in my life and we can talk and laugh and reminisce about so many of the wonderful things that we did as a family and I hope it helps her as much as it does me.

This thread is also a very good representation of being able to discuss things with a total stranger that you would not be able to bring into conversation easily with close friends or family and indirectly goes to prove that talking/typing can be a great help. :)
    Post edited by Cervus at 2013-06-27 04:50:01
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!