Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 327 Comments sorted by
  • Meds aside, I'm sure that no one person can know what will work for another. For me, here are the dos and donts:

1. DO NOT make mix tapes of suicidal blues songs like Johnny Cash singing "Hurt" or "I See a Darkness". (Yes, I actually had to work this one out!)

2. DO get out of the house and speak to the bloke down the corner shop. Even if it's only to say, "I'd like a Twix please".

3. DO NOT pay any attention to any thoughts thunk between the hours of midnight and six am, no matter how wise and true they seem. They are the verbal diarrhoea of Satan himself.

4. DO go and stare at some ants in the garden. See if you can work out whether they always milk the same aphids or are more promiscuous. Or bees. Or those little red mite things that you get on concrete sometimes.

5. DO get out of bed. In the daytime. And the night, when you need a pee.

6. DO make that phone call, especially if it's to someone who you know is feeling a bit sad, or lonely.

7. DO love the world. Examine it with tenderness.

8. DO take the meds. At least until you can do 1-7 above.

There are people on this board who have helped me too. You know who you are .
    :x
    Post edited by whisperit at 2013-06-26 12:41:18
  • You know what: I will delete this so people won't get accidentally offended when I referred to coping mechanisms for dealing with mental health issues.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:51:43
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • I second that....the same thing certainly doesn't always work for everybody. I know that rehoming my two hounds made me have to get up and live for something else and get out and about and just saying hello to that other dog walker or jogger however hard it is to do made a very big difference to me. Although I can also remember seeing the seasons change and resent them doing so but I feel for the moment that I am out the other side for the time being at least.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • You know what: I will delete this so people won't get accidentally offended when I referred to coping mechanisms for dealing with mental health issues.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:51:51
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • I applaud those in the thread already, both with their honesty and their help.

As much as I understand where I'm at, it's still sometimes tough to get the words down At some point I'll join you but wanted to just acknowledge the thread and the efforts on both sides.

A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • hey border mind... i'm sending you a PM.

on a general note i have had episodes of depression several times since my mid/late teens, ah what can i say... the right help is so important be it medication, talking therapies, whatever. but it can be so hard to find that support. i have been lucky that i have a great GP who has helped no end. whisperit's tips are totally true (for me), and also for me been outside is a massive thing. the more 'outside time' i can get the better, even if i really feel like i can't do it it always helps when i do.
  • Hey thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone, you wouldn't get this on MOST internet forums and the like

:x
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-07-04 11:00:00
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • That last point is sadly entirely the problem holding progress back.

What's the stat? 1 in 3 people affected at some time in their life? Still, somehow, it's such a hard subject to broach for fear of the reaction you may get lest people think less of you. I'm as bad - I'd love to write a proper post on here and some of you from the old days even already know my ups and downs but I go to type and don't have the {whatever} to do it.

Like B_M said, though, that this thread exists gives heart indeed.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:52:01
  • The more we deviate from a natural life the more disordered and sick we become.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:52:10
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:52:20
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:52:28
  • Looking at the posts of yours, Stranger, I think I'll back off this thread for now.

I don't have the references, quotes, stats and such you do and all I have is my own personal experience. That's probably not going to be as useful to others in need.

I wish you folks well for now and each day in the future.
  • Carpathian this thread is for everyone with any experience. I also posted it for those who have feelings they can't go into depth in on other threads because it's a bit "serious", so anything to do with mental health is of course welcome if you choose to post it :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!