Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 327 Comments sorted by
  • You know what: I will delete this so people won't get accidentally offended when I referred to coping mechanisms for dealing with mental health issues.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:48:42
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • I warned you, Str!
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • You know what: I will delete this so people won't get accidentally offended when I referred to coping mechanisms for dealing with mental health issues.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:48:01
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • iuventus said:

I warned you, Str!

You know what: I will delete this so people won't get accidentally offended when I referred to coping mechanisms for dealing with mental health issues.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:48:14
  • Never mind. Back to you, Dreeke.
  • I'm out. You all discuss it further in your own words. In about 15 years you'll have another topic to add called Tardive dyskinesia. Good luck with that.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 05:48:24
  • That's the oxycodone speaking.
  •  Stranger said:  It's becoming a "oh I'm sory for you too thread" wthout solutions and good discussions about causes of things...society... changes in the psychology field...these things need to be said....

I totally recognise your good intentions and respect your experience, Stranger.

Maybe the reason why you might have felt poorly recieved might be something like this?

I have no had no end of professionals as well as well-meaning friends offering the solutions to my distress, and describing some bit of research that has particularly impressed them lately.

No matter how genuine their concern, no matter how "correct" the advice, it always makes me feel slightly patronised. Because, most of the time, I know about these "solutions" ; I have already thought about and had these "discussions".

In places like this message board, I'm not looking for more of the same. Instead, for me, sharing feelings and experiences and "ordinary" human warmth is much more valuable.

Does that make sense?    
  • Why does everything have to be such a big drama all the time? People disagree with each other THAT'S OK!
    I want this thread to be safe place too, not where people are told they're not doing the right thing to help themselves.
    Suggestions are fine and opinions are always ok but soapboxes may make people not want to continue discussion because it can have a tendency of isolating one another :)
    Post edited by folklore at 2013-07-27 05:38:56
  • folklore said:

I've been crying at loads lately. I even cried at Kate getting harassed by that demon on Paranormal Activity.

I can beat that! Yesterday, I started sobbing at an advert for the RSPB - the bit where the girl puts up a sign in her garden for a "Hedgehog Campsite"!
  • Yeah, thanks for slapping me in the face with that Stranger.
    You don't know shit about what experiences I've had concerning mental illness.
    You don't know what I did to cope with it all.
    Medication was my last resort.

How can you say you think my comment was patronising when I started it with "You probably don't mean it that way...".???
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • folklore said:

Why does everything have to be such a big drama all the time? People disagree with each other THAT'S OK!

• Yeah, thanks for slapping me in the face with that Stranger.
    You don't know shit about what experiences I've had concerning mental illness.
    You don't know what I did to cope with it all.
    Medication was my last resort.

How can you say you think my comment was patronising when I started it with "You probably don't mean it that way...".???

Don't worry: all will be deleted from this thread. SINCERELY good luck with your recovery.
    I can see how that could have been misread as patronising when it wasn't meant to come across as such.
    I apologise. (Im not good with words).
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-07-27 06:15:09
  • iuventus said:

My father is an amateur astronomer. When I was around five, he tried to explain the Universe and the notion of eternity to me, the immensity of the sun and gas giants, the distance to the nearest star, etc. Throughout my youth, not only would I'd cry just thinking about it, but for many years, while lying in bed, I would have strange, frightening visions of the enormousness of time/space/being overcoming me and passing me by. Does that make sense?

Totally. But weirdly, it has exactly the opposite effect on me. Thinking about my insignificance in the great scheme of things, the tiny instant of time that I will live, is deeply comforting.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!