Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 327 Comments sorted by

• whisperit said:

Totally. But weirdly, it has exactly the opposite effect on me. Thinking about my insignificance in the great scheme of things, the tiny instant of time that I will live, is deeply comforting.

At this age, it is quite comforting for me as well. My five-year-old mind couldn't handle those concepts though. Well actually, I learned how quickly. Our father liked to disillusion us about life before we'd even the vaguest notions of who we were and how we related to the world around us. I don't ever remember believing in Santa Claus, and I certainly was quite suspicious of the existence of any sort of god from an early age. Who's to know if it was more harm or help. I am who I am today regardless.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Stranger said:

Don't worry: all will be deleted from this thread. SINCERELY good luck with your recovery.
    I can see how that could have been misread as patronising when it wasn't meant to come across as such.
    I apologise. (Im not good with words).

Apology accepted.
    It's a shame you decided to delete the posts.
    Because there's certainly a truth in those words. It was the way it was written.
    And maybe I'm not that good with words, especially in a foreign language, either.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • I know what you mean, Folksie, about fearing and worrying about everything.  From the least little thing to the huge, monstrous things, like world hunger, world poverty and world peace.  I don't know what happened (I think it was some kind of "shock therapy") but that has all gone by the wayside over the last few years.  I'll say one thing, though.  I started eating cereal with vitamins and, besides the initial shock, I think it has helped greatly.  I don't think vitamin pills work nearly as well and I think that has to do with absorption rates.  Just taking vitamin pills, for me just didn't work.  So, I tried letting the pills melt in water first and that seemed to help a little but, for some reason, I think the body just doesn't absorb it very well.  Actually, I should say "shock therapy" followed by running across someone, for the first time in my life that was a truly loving and caring individual.  Even then, I'm sure I'm siimplifying what happened.
  • The other part of it was why I worried, now that I think about it.  I was so afraid of the slightest thing going wrong that I would just cringe with fear.  Just crazy little stuff going wrong too would seem like a disaster of epic proportions.
  • You know, the funny thing is that, at least for me, so much is about habits.  Far more than I used to think.  Even after the gloom has lifted and the smiles were possible, it took a lot of effort to quit worrying all the time that, because I said something dumb or lost a credit card, the world was going to end.  And, the smiles.  That took actual effort to work those muscles.  Howdy Doody or someone said that it takes less muscles to smile than frown.  True or not, those muscles need to be worked.
  • Hmmmm,

"

"Trouble getting to sleep: Magnesium plays a key role in the bodily function that regulates sleep. Insomnia is one of the symptoms of magnesium deficiency,
    and in fact, a 2006 analysis in the journal Medical Hypothesis suggests
    that such a deficiency may even be the cause of most major depression
    and mental health problems.

Bottom line: magnesium is an extremely important mineral. You'll find
    it in dark leafy greens, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and Brazil nuts,
    beans and lentils and some types of fish.  "

the whole article:

http://news.yahoo.com/3-nutrients-linked-better-nights-sleep-135518279.html

• I had not thought about magnesium. Will have a look.. cheers.
    Post edited by thathurt at 2013-07-29 17:16:09
  • thathurt said:

I had not thought about magnesium. Will have a look.. cheers.

If you don't mind, thathurt, let me know the results, if you actually give it a try.
  • Extreme OCD Camp on BBC3. Things getting to me, poor people I so understand their torment. It robs you of an enjoyable life, nothing else to it.
  • I suffer from PTSD, Major Depression, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder with a dash of Agoraphobia. I have latent OCD which has possibly gotten out of remission. My mental illness makes it hard for me to go out and do stuff with my life.
    Post edited by Felt_Mountain at 2013-07-30 16:20:18
  • I'm sorry to hear that FM, I'm pleased you felt comfortable to share :-)

I currently feel the need to do some myth busting, ignorance fighting tweets! Probably get myself into argument that will cause me stress but I will fight stimga.
  • @Felt_Mountain- really sorry to hear about your struggles.  I hope that sharing your experiences helps to lift some of the burden.
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • folklore said:

I currently feel the need to do some myth busting

Bust away...
  • Currently having a bit of a dip. Confidence & self esteem feeling a bit shot for no real reason. Have gone to post about a dozen different posts on here and either deleted or abandoned them due to second-guessing myself or imagining what others might reply with. It's my third time trying to get this feeling down in this thread but I scrapped the previous ones too. Too many thoughts in my head to let any come out like a dam that won't burst...
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2013-07-31 18:10:43
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • ^
    Big hugs Carpy :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!