Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Bringing Some Perspective: A Reflection
  • 500 Comments sorted by
  • Mirror said:

It's the web: surely everyone is hiding behind usernames and pictures? Do people really know exactly who they are talking to? The reason Mirror refers to itself in the way it does is because there might well be more than one of us.

Most of us, at some point or another have shared drinks, gigs, food, visits and other such things in real life. We know actual names, jobs, locations and such. We've lived and in some cases loved.

We don't know everything about everybody, I'll grant you, but we know a lot more than nothing.

Oh, and I'll also happily thank you for at least starting to talk normally. It does make things easier.
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2013-06-26 14:35:09
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:12:53
  • oh who gives a shit. nobody here is a harbinger of truth, they're just opinions on a messageboard. Mirror, why so serious?
  • lisa that wasn't directed at you :)
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:12:32
  • Lisa said:

folklore said:

lisa that wasn't directed at you :)

I didn't think it was! :)

It's nice to see you back!
  • Finally Lisa, someone who will look beyond the veil

I was wondering whether Goldfrapp can still be considered an electronic band?

When I first heard "Genesis" by Grimes I was astonished by the quality of production and the insight in musical textures. It sounded like early Kraftwerk but was produced by a twentysomething from Canada. 

How is it possible that someone so young gets it so right whereas presumable veterans turn out something bland, flat, and with the "wrong kind" of emptiness?

This is what Mirror meant when it said electronic music seems to have come of age, and Goldfrapp somehow missed the train.

• OK Mr/Mrs/Group Mirror. If you really want a proper discussion stop this smoke & mirrors act please?
    I just don't like this "Uuuhhh, look at me (us?) being all mysterious" act.
    If you haven't noticed yet, it just forces a discussion about the way your points are made, not your points themselves.
    If you refuse to be so kind to just reveal what you're all about then this is the last reply you'll ever get from me in this thread.
    Might not be a great loss to you, but that's how I prefer my discussions.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"

• Mirror said:

Mirror only
    wanted to inject a bit of critical thinking into this place:
    Head First was only mentioned as the
    backdrop against which this new album surely is set?
    Lots of people have commented that their excitement stems from a hope for a
    return to form, which is in itself quite a bizarre motivation.

Mirror, I'm joining the party later! If you are not a troll, I'd just like to point out something! This is the Goldfrapp official board, where Golfrapp fans gather and discuss! Fans are supposed to love an artist, often regardless what the artist does! So, it's already difficult to "inject the critical thinking", but it you think that coming here with this arrogant approach is the best way to do it, you're totally wrong.

Each of us has the right to be excited for whatever reason, from their return to form, to Alison changing her haircut, and who are you to say that a motivation is bizarre.

BTW, I use to love Kraftwek, they made me love elettronic music! ;)
    Post edited by paolot at 2013-06-26 14:52:59
    My Goldfrapp fan website http://www.goldfrappmania.com
    My Facebook profile https://www.facebook.com/paolo.tozzo
  • Mirror said:

Finally Lisa, someone who will look beyond the veil

I was wondering whether Goldfrapp can still be considered an electronic band?

When I first heard "Genesis" by Grimes I was astonished by the quality of production and the insight in musical textures. It sounded like early Kraftwerk but was produced by a twentysomething from Canada. 

How is it possible that someone so young gets it so right whereas presumable veterans turn out something bland, flat, and with the "wrong kind" of emptiness?

This is what Mirror meant when it said electronic music seems to have come of age, and Goldfrapp somehow missed the train.

May I ask why you want to compare though?
  • Stand back and take a fresh look at what is being proposed in this thread, folks.. I'm sorry, but it does seem absurd.

If 99% of a forum's members enjoy the direction a band/singer is going in, musically and image-wise... so what? That is a good thing, no? It seems ridiculous to crave argument just for its own sake.

People like Jaxsbudgie were always having a snipe at Goldfrapp - and sometimes other members - but at least they (mostly) did it in a humorous way.

• Mirror said:

In their own way, Mirror is trying to kick some life back into this place: so far it looks like that is working.

If that is your intention, perhaps you correlate life (as in esprit or elan) with discord.

I find that quite sad; yet, I am quite aware that such is not an uncommon mode of conduct. Just watch any of the sundry pathetic US sitcoms.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:12:06
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:11:42
  • Alan said:

stevil said:

this is ridiculous....breaking a mirror as i type

Don't! It's considered bad luck.

FUN KIYU FACT

I routinely smash mirrors to pieces as part of my job. I've accumulated several hundred years of 'bad luck', and shall be distributing them to all my friends as Bobunk holiday gifts!*

*that may be a tad esoteric.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!