Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Bringing Some Perspective: A Reflection
  • 500 Comments sorted by
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:09:15
  • Lisa said:

@iuventus

I honestly don't think Alison would be influenced by a small minority of "fans"?

Many of the comments were rather cruel and personal.

Lisa said:

And if that would be the case, then I wouldn't think highly of her as an artist, really:
    she should never be influenced by other people's opinion - certainly not fans -, that is rule number one!

If Should were a horse, you could ride it. Who makes up these rules anyhow?

Lisa said:

I am still here, aren't I?

But you weren't, and people missed you.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

But you weren't, and people missed you.

One of the truest things in this thread :)
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:08:49
  • Lisa said:

I'd love for that to happen, but it seems very unlikely. 

When Kate Bush put out The Red Shoes in 1993, many thought she was over. I treasured the few gems that TRS offered and held out--for twelve years! What she produced in 2005 proved much of her previous opera to be mere etudes in preparation for her magnum opus. And that was to be her swan song, right? Wrong again, naysayers! In 2011, at age 53, she released one of the most heavenly works of any genre ever.
  • Maybe it's because I don't expect a band/artist to keep on being ahead of the rest.
    Everyone's raving about that new Daft Punk record, beeing the next way forward, and I honestly don't get it... (retro at it's max imho)
    I just enjoy what I like and Goldfrapp has managed to tick a lot of boxes the past few years to me.
    I even used to be a huge Marillion fan, but the narrow-mindedness of them and their fanbase were a huge turn-off to me.
    Trust me, things aren't that bad over here (even though I'm quite sure I've made some new enemies over here now)
    Goldfrapp always were one of my faves and gradually grew into my absolute faves because they were willing to take chances. Not stick to just one genre. Just being Goldfrapp. 
    I even like the fact Alison isn't fond of Head First in hindsight. Sure. Why not?
    It was the soundtrack of our summer (the rest of the year was shit) and I'll always remember it for that.
    Goldfrapp wanted to have a go at Abba-esque electropop. And so they did.
    Not their best work ever. But I'll never forget driving around the south of Spain blasting out Rocket.
    Thanks Alison & Will.
    A lot.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:08:20
  • Lisa said:

and we all know that love is blind, and apparantly a little bit deaf!

I just spat my green tea out with laughing. Classic! =))
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • oh btw Lisa: I've got a lengthy John Grant interview for you to translate!! ;)
    Welcome back!

(where's my manners?)
  • Lisa said:

...surely as someone who has been a public figure for over 10 years, some criticism is not going to make them turn 180 degrees?

Says which deity? Everyone has his or her moments of vulnerability and self doubt. I just wish that Alison could hear Head First the way I do, rather than the way the Naysaying Norberts do. I've admitted that it doesn't fit neatly into the Universe of what we consider Golfrapp, but it's a gem in its own right. Maybe it could be seen as the Pluto of the Goldfrapp Solar System. It's still something that she might be proud of.
  • Umm, all FM tracks use acoustic instruments: viollas, cellos, violins, double bass, french horn, trombone tenor saxophone, etc

And praising album X while writing completely different album is equivalant to discussing strong sides of lover x new one, I'd imagine. "Not bad, Lisa, but X was better"

I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Stand back and take a fresh look at what is being proposed in this thread, folks.. I'm sorry, but it does seem absurd.

If 99% of a forum's members enjoy the direction a band/singer is going in, musically and image-wise... so what? That is a good thing, no? It seems ridiculous to crave argument just for its own sake.

I agree.

Plus, I think it would be nice if people kept in mind that there is a very fine line between voicing your opinion and possibly ruining the excitement of the new album for others. After all, this should be the time when we share our enthusiasm for Goldfrapp. The album hasn't even been released yet, so is there really any need for all this negativity?

Just a thought, though! :)
    Post edited by Minsku at 2013-06-26 21:03:09
  • There's nothing wrong with some constructive criticism or voicing your opinion in a respectful way, but if you''ve just come here to do what Mirror is doing you should just get out.

• Mirror did say in his latest post that he doesn't want this place to be all "happy Frappy party". Unfortunately he was cowardly enough to edit it out later on.

But, if that doesn't clearly state his true intentions, then I don't know what does. :-?
  • Mirror said:

As Ralf Hütter said: the guitar is just
    an ersatz penis

He was wrong, theremins are...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!