Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Bringing Some Perspective: A Reflection
  • 500 Comments sorted by
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:07:52
  • This "perspective" seems to be taken from a low class paper I would never care to read.
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:07:26
  • Mirror said:

Time for
    another question: there seems to be a lot of female musicians working in
    electronic music.

Is that inherent to the medium? Is electronic music female by default?

Ah , just remembered who you are . It took a while , put my head into crossword mode and with 2 days of jedi mind tricks and 3 doughnuts last night , I remember discussions with you , I remember posts in those days consistently scored lower on the `vacuousity index` (slight chance thats made up) . I recalled being chastised for a joke by you ...um correctly .... or I`m wrong and I`ve no idea who you are haha

I would point out that your (or anyones) taste doesn`t define quality per se , they`re not interchangeable entities , taste flavours the perception of quality but its not the same - an objective argument would separate them .  My previous post , with points missed within it aplenty has one real gist to it - beauty is in the ear of the beholder . 

Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-27 11:52:16
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Okay, Mirror didn't edit his post. My apologies for that.

I still think it goes to show why he really is here. God forbid if some people dare to be happy and look forward to the new album. And to do it on the official Goldfrapp forum, too!

What a relief Mirror came to knock some sense into us. :))
  • Sartori said:

Mirror said:

Ah , just remembered who you are . It took a while , put my head into crossword mode and with 2 days of jedi mind tricks and 3 doughnuts last night , I remember discussions with you , I remember posts in those days consistently scored lower on the `vacuousity index` (slight chance thats made up) . I recalled being chastised for a joke by you ...um correctly .... or I`m wrong and I`ve no idea who you are haha

I would point out that your (or anyones) taste doesn`t define quality per se , they`re not interchangeable entities , taste flavours the perception of quality but its not the same - an objective argument would separate them .  My previous post , with points missed within it aplenty has one real gist to it - beauty is in the ear of the beholder . 

@Sartori  Mirror is not Gulliver Dark.

Of course taste has nothing to do with quality. Quality is evasive, hard to put a finger on. 
  • @Lisa  Mirror listened to W. An excellent collection of songs. Like Grimes, she has paid a great deal of attention to sound texture, color and hue;

Mirror read a review that, perhaps unfavourably, compared  PTR  to The Knife but thought it not so. Superficially maybe, the masks, the playing with gender, maybe this is so, but Mirror reflects that PTR take it several stages deeper than The Knife, (and of course the Fever Ray project) they may be treading similar territory: but the sound is PTR's own. 

Thank you for taking the time to take Mirror seriously. It's all Mirror set out to do. 

Upon reflection then; In order to discuss the electronic genre clearly, we need to define what electronic music is: and is not? No?
    Post edited by Mirror at 2013-06-27 14:32:31
  • Impossible.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • @Mirror I assume you checked out the Holly Herndon album I recommended too, or did you miss that out because I lauded it over Grimes?

Just checking........you might like it more too, who knows?
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Sartori said:

Mirror said:

@Sartori  Mirror is not Gulliver Dark.

Of course taste has nothing to do with quality. Quality is evasive, hard to put a finger on. 

Nah , no you`re not GD , the name is elusive , I recall your posts as someone who used words with way too many syllables , we had some written shenanigans in the past as you mentioned me by name but hey , whatever . That could be you ....or not .
     Any other comment by me is going down a road of semantics and a waste of time , given I`ve already written about your comments . 
     As an objective point - don`t you think I hanker for the days when discussions didn`t involve the word "OMG" ? I`ve made many threads over the years , put forward points for discussion but the forum goes the way of a river , where it wants  - the wise man bends to the world , the arrogant man tries to bend the world . 
     Have you succeeded in bringing in a new world ? I dont think so , failed due to impact over intent , people just like the taste of soylent green here . I go with the floooooooooooooooow baby .

(Soylent Green is a reference to Eat Yourself)
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-28 09:41:39
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"

• It's an interesting thing though, electronic music being feminine. It's something I've wondered about myself, as well! Recently a lot of female acts have come to the foreground, and they all do everything themselves.
    I've often wondered if an analogy can be made with video art being, at its inception atleast, quite a female medium.
    As soon as technology is made cheap and easy to use, women seem to use it without the help of men.
    The first generation video artists were able to work by themselves and also addressed female issues.
    There is something interesting about the way female electronic artists seem to do the same thing.
    Like Fever Ray, she did it all by herself AND addressed some typically female issues in her music...

But what about Wendy Carlos then, hahaha?

@Lisa  A perceptive observation. Mirror will reflect on these points.

In the context of your discussion it is worth noting that Wendy Carlos collaborated with Rachel Elkind who was her producer (at least on the earlier recordings) so again we have a female team. The early Carlos recordings were without doubt landmarks in the sub-genre of synthesis, she defined a sound that is still a 'signature' for the Moog. 

Carlos and Elkind did all this historic and ground breaking work out of a small duplex in NYC, not in a large commercial studio. She has continued to work in this way to date.

40 years later there now seems to be countless women  following Wendy's example and quietly working away by themselves in bedrooms or backrooms, producing excellent work. 

Mirror gathers Wendy was transitioning when she made Switched On Bach. It is said that she delayed her 'coming out' until the record had established her reputation. She had to resort to gluing on false side burns for her publicity pictures as Walter. 

She is a seed from which so much has grown? 

• people misrepresent themselves. people move on.

"its MY favourite song"
  • Ming? Theres a blast from the past. Well there's a thread about mugs on ere so I guess anything goes. %-(
  • And today ive remembered what I used to think about people who talk or write about themselves in the third person (unless you are writing a cv). :-?
  • Ming Ho the third person? The join-date is about right. Their posts were before my time...

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-06-27 15:51:41

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!