Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Bringing Some Perspective: A Reflection
  • 500 Comments sorted by
  • It seems to me a strangely ill-timed rant. If the OP considers Head First such a low-point, why even bring it up 3 years on?

Alison has long-since moved on, as demonstrated by Melancholy Sky & Yellow Halo. Personally, I think those 2 tracks are pretty much up there with the best of their pre-2010 work.

•  Alongside Lisa , I lament the days of discussion that this board (and other "discussion" boards) fostered and that have gone , I strive to be informed , I want to have my opinions swayed or turned by good argument or vice versa , I love discussion and banter and making up turns of phrase and having a laugh , that I find uplifting within life .....does that start with "OMG ,look at her hair , shes made me poop myself" ? I don`t need to be Einstein to think probably not . But , personally , there is enough banter and whimsy to feed my appetite and so I stay , if I get bored , then I`ll leave , liking TOU or not .
     Mirror , you failed my "impact over intent" test and failed the "misrepresenting opinion as fact" test (importantly - whether my opinions concur with your or not) , put together properly instead of as an angry street speech it could really have got my interest as a discussion . 

Art should never be art for the sake of it , I shouldn`t like art purely for who it`s by , I should like it if it touches my soul and leaves a mark that has a melody tattooed inside my mind , a sublime moment felt and marking that moment in time like a cerebral drug hit ...so enough about my Michael Buble collection , lets get back to Goldfrapp .   
     Every new album across the span of years has been marked by a thread basically along the lines of "What do you want from the new album?" , google search if you want , but my answer is that I only ever want the band to make the album they want to make , of how they are now . 

Noel Gallagher was once asked about why they dont write songs like "Cigarettes and Alcohol" anymore , he replied that it was written when he was young , living rough and taking drugs and drink in copious amounts ...and that you can`t write songs like that if you now live in a bloody mansion and have shedfuls of money . Oasis anecdote aside - an artist , if they are an artist , a true craftsman , will write from their heart , of things that touch them at that point in time and so Alison will write of things that interest her now . Who would really want a conversation going "Will , lets pop over to a dry ski slope , I need Mountainous wimsy as the fans want Felt Mountain 2" ????? who would , well some would , but fuck them . FM was a product of her younger self and interests at that time , no one can be young again .

So tying these points together to make some sort of conclusion to my waffle , TOU is the product of what interests Alison now , it is her `current muse` and `where she`s at` if you like . Who are any of us to tell her where she should be and thus what music she should make , Noel can`t go back to being poor and write C&A again ? no one can tell you what interests you can have at a point in time , so what gives anyone the right to tell Alison that ? (those are both rhetorical points) .

So Alison isn`t using synths any more for TOU , so what , I say . I`m always open to something to touch my soul , with any instrument , with any artist , in any style , who can really deny a listen to something different , something that has been written by artists , by masters of their craft , even if I dont like it , even if it fails to touch my soul , its not mass produced fodder , its a piece of art that I`ll respect . As I said , I`m always open to something new , something different , I can`t help what touches my soul and thats why I have those Michael Buble CD`s .

ps I`ll probably be stoned to death at Manchester now .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-26 11:51:11
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Cervus said:

I am leaving well alone now....the add a word game needs me. ;)

Whoopie! Free ass for everyone!
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • ^ I think I pretty much agree with that sartori. Particularly the confusing fact and opinion bit. And the not been young again, things have to move on. If the released 6 versions of FM there would be plenty of moaning about that too.

Also on the point that's been made a couple of times with particular reference to the new track 'clay' and the complaint that Alison is using someone else's story I think is ridiculous. Artists of all descriptions have used experience and stories taken from others and elsewhere. How many 100's if not 1000's of paintings have been based on biblical stories? There is another thread on this board of songs based on books, artists/musicians/writers throughout time have done this, I really don't understand why that is a problem?
  • Nothing is 100% original. Even Shakespeare drew from others' work.
  • Nothing to do with thread subject but I'm finding it difficult to read these comments due to layout, discussion on this board is painful to read and also comments can go unnoticed easily.
  • ^ Hmm, the layout seems clear and easily-readable to me (apart from not having a clearer break between posts). What screen res/device are you viewing on, folkie?
  • ^ Hmm, the layout seems clear and easily-readable to me (apart from not having a clearer break between posts). What screen res/device are you viewing on, folkie?

I think it's just the old board was clearer to read than this one really :)
    It's the break between posts and lack of different colours, so it all merges a bit on this forum.
  • iuventus said:

Nothing is 100% original. Even Shakespeare drew from others' work.

Exactly. On the assumption something isn't direct plagiarism I think people take their influences, muses from anywhere. And that's ok.
  • folklore said:

It's the break between posts and lack of different colours, so it all merges a bit on this forum.

Oh, OK - I agree it's less clear than the GMB.

It also seems to limit the width of the posts... the old board used to spread into the width of your browser window. They don't really need to show that crap on the right.. there.

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-06-26 12:27:17
  • ping said:

Exactly. On the assumption something isn't direct plagiarism I think people take their influences, muses from anywhere. And that's ok.

The idea of plagiarism is relatively new. By today's standards, Shakespeare, among many others, would be a plagiarist.
  • fair play to you Sartori.

if you're getting stoned at Manchester can I sit on tho left hand side?
    "its MY favourite song"
  • Mirror said:

The difference between "inspiration" and "explotaition" is quite clear, no?

How did exploitation get such a bum rap? I'm all for exploiting people, events, and phenomena for the sake of art.
  • folklore said:

^ Hmm, the layout seems clear and easily-readable to me (apart from not having a clearer break between posts). What screen res/device are you viewing on, folkie?

I'd like it to be a bit clearer too. I go a bit snow blind scrolling down, especially on my phone
  • (removed)
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-06-28 05:01:31
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!