Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Bringing Some Perspective: A Reflection
  • 500 Comments sorted by
  • Unfortunately I'm way too busy to read through all posts, but...

Mirror, you do realize that the album is called "Tales of Us", right?

What exactly do you think she should have done then? Only write songs about herself in order to avoid "exploiting" anyone else?
  • It's called evolution or maybe even better: growth.
    I once stated I would never listen to music not played on 'real instruments'.
    Forcefully keeping true to that statement would've meant I'd still only be playing Dire Straits records to this very day...

that doesn't sound healthy, does it?

anyhew.... must remind myself to stop feeding the trolls...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • Mirror said:

The difference between "inspiration" and "explotaition" is quite clear, no?

Do you think the track is exploiting something/someone?

Stranger... As you've heard the tracks I'd be interested to hear if you feel it's exploitative (is that a word?)
  • Mirror said:

See, you can discuss
    things in a reasonable depth, after all.

A personal thank you
    to Border_Mind and Lisa for getting things started where Mirror couldn’t.

It appears the use of
    lyrics went over many a “Frappers” head, although best to consider those a
    personal message to the singer herself.

The difference in the way Lisa & Border Mind approached this is that they explained things, talked to/with the rest of us and didn't resort to sporadic third-person quotations. They took the time & effort to converse and that, regardless of view offered, garners respect.

They were the sun to your gale when it came to getting mental jackets loosened.

Those other folks you mentioned actually had more respect than they/you realised for the same reason. Sometimes it isn't how forcefully you put a point across, positive or negative, but the time taken to explain & understand. They are as missed as others with a view you may take as the hive mind. Just look at the missing persons thread to see how some were mentioned on here and the other place.

I'm pretty sure that if you'd come on here as a regular new user, got to know us and broached the subject of how people viewed the band pre and post HF and over the long term career/art wise you'd have got a quite different reaction to how you did it and it could well have been a very interesting natter. I, for one, would have welcomed another person with a genuine interest & set of their own thoughts. That makes anywhere tick.

I guess that while you keep posting in that disjointed third person style, sadly hiding behind obfuscation,  some of us may well miss points, misunderstand or misrepresent you but maybe we, sometimes, can only be a Mirror to what is stood in front of us.

A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Dreeke said:

anyhew.... must remind myself to stop feeding the trolls...

As the word "respect" has become the greatest platitude of the English language, "troll" has become that of cyber lingo. Mirror has expressed an unpopular opinion in an arrogant, and possibly condescending, manner. It is illogical and makes him appear a but foolish and antisocial. So what? I'm more disappointed by the name calling perpetrated by some of our more esteemed board members. It makes us all look weak and immature.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

So what? I'm more disappointed by the name calling perpetrated by some of our more esteemed board members. It makes us all look weak and immature.

Um you called Mirror a "pompous ass" on the last page.
  • folklore said:

Um you called Mirror a "pompous ass" on the last page.

Indeed. I am not above reproach; though, I didn't mean to include myself as an esteemed member.
  • We are ALL esteemed members :D
  • Sorry for mistaking The Mirror for a "troll" then.
    I've been around on the ole interwebs long enough to make that mistake....
  • folklore said:

We are ALL esteemed members :D

You're too kind.
  • Mirror said:

I'm pretty sure that if you'd come on here as a regular new user, got to know us and broached the subject of how people viewed the band pre and post HF and over the long term career/art wise you'd have got a quite different reaction to how you did it and it could well have been a very interesting natter. I, for one, would have welcomed another person with a genuine interest & set of their own thoughts. That makes anywhere tick.

I guess that while you keep posting in that disjointed third person style, sadly hiding behind obfuscation,  some of us may well miss points, misunderstand or misrepresent you but maybe we, sometimes, can only be a Mirror to what is stood in front of us.

this. 
  • [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:13:13
  • Lisa said:

Wowhee, this thread moves quicker than..well, something that moves very fast!

Anyway, maybe everyone is just getting too caught up in the actual "style" of the guy?
    I think he is genuinely trying to discuss things, and actually, there isn't that much offense to what he says.
    If anything, he hasn't resulted to spamming or bumping this thread, and has always seemed quite careful
    in his wording?

I have to admit, in terms of content, I agree with Mirror.. he brings some issues that people either tred very carefully around or just don't want to say at all.

Maybe you're right (you often are!) but it's just tough sometimes to get to the crux of what they actually mean rather than second-guessing them and possibly doing them the rudeness of making the wrong assumption?

I can sense that there is some meaty points tucked away in what they're getting at that would make for a good thing to properly discuss but it's frustrating, you know? I wish they'd just type normally and talk with us. I know I'm probably old fashioned but things always seem to work better that way.

I'd hope, at some point, we end up finding ground where we get to meet in the centre and not round the edges.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • See Lisa, it's a bit like meeting people in real life. If they act like condescending jerks on first impression I tend to lose interest in the point they're trying to make. It's just a bad way to try and start a conversation. 
    What ever happened to properly introducing yourself, have some small chit-chat to get to know people and THEN start a discussion?
  • Oops... just realised See Lisa sounded a bit condescending too... sorry for that

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!