Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • Never Let Me Go

Beautifully shot and thought provoking. Had heard mixed reviews but I loved it. Think films on famous books always get harsh reviews but as I don't really read fiction I can always judge them as purely cinematic visions. Loved the comment on art aswell as the obvious plot line. Surprise of Xmas telly.

Also saw parallels to blade runner bizarrely.
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2014-01-03 04:12:13
  • Mandela - Long Walk to Freedom

Stirling effort at impersonation by Idris Elba, and a decent account of way Winnie drifted into gangsterism. But the dramatic/emotional content was  unengaging.

Also, its politics were weak, and if anyone's life story needs a strong political context to give it its proper weight and meaning, it's Mandela's

• A_is_A said:

American Hustle, see it, it's fantastic!

http://youtu.be/NqgjPRNRDSY

I'll second that. Absorbing story and some absolutely fantastic performances. If Amy Adams wins an Oscar, it'll be thoroughly deserved.
  • The Wolverine

As most superhero movies go, this is a nice mix of east meets west. there's a nice mix of CGI mutant powers and stunt work regarding the samurai fights.

yeah, was good. enjoyed it. look out for a little snippet of extra footage just a few mins into the credits :)
  • Pet said:

Never Let Me Go

Beautifully shot and thought provoking. Had heard mixed reviews but I loved it. Think films on famous books always get harsh reviews but as I don't really read fiction I can always judge them as purely cinematic visions. Loved the comment on art aswell as the obvious plot line. Surprise of Xmas telly.

Also saw parallels to blade runner bizarrely.

Cracking soundtrack aswell!!
  • Vampire Circus - one of THE classic Hammer Horror's easily amongst my favorite, and more generally a very good vampire movie too.
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Vampire Circus - one of THE classic Hammer Horror's easily amongst my favorite, and more generally a very good vampire movie too.

Vampire Circus is one Hammer's better efforts, for sure.

Curiously(?) the last film I watched was another Hammer film -- Creatures the World Forgot. I saw this in a cinema in 1971, and recall thinking (as I walked out the picture house) that it was a strangely impressive film. The other night, I watched it on DVD, and I think I can see why I thought what I did. It was the fourth and last of Hammer's cave girl films. It contains no dinosaurs, but is the only one of their cave girl flicks rated with an 18 certificate.  Very few old Hammer films rate an 18 but, looking at my copy, I find that Vampire Circus is another such.

Oh, the Creatures the World Forgot DVD has the option of subtitles for the hard of hearing -- although it contains no intelligible dialogue, just grunting and other inarticulate noises. That seems a bit weird.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-01-09 16:44:19
  • I watched "Her" this past Friday. I really liked it. I like how it explored fantasy vs. reality...or should I say, getting lost in the fantasy. The lengths that people will go to..to avoid emotional pain. An insightful little film.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-01-13 01:59:17
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Finally got to see Before Midnight. Probably the most anticipation I have felt for a film for many years.

Well, as the first 2, it was beautifully shot, scripted and performed. No fancy film effects just people talking great dialogue that is obviously painstakingly crafted but comes across like it is just ad-libed on the day. There were a couple of surprises near the end (nudity and the way it panned out) it all made sense where it went. It's just you kind of feel so much for the characters it was hard to not get involved. But everything made sense and I soooo hope the do one in 9 years because of below..

I saw Before Sunrise when i was hopelessly single and did quite a lot of travlling on my own and shared both the characters frustrations with friend groups aswell (so was a bit of a lonely loner). So it was a real fantasy to meet someone that cool on a train journey (never happened :-/).

Then when i saw Before Sunset i had just gone through a few years of taking a few chances in relationships and after some blinding errors and just met my present partner who I clicked with better than anyone I had met. We had even booked a trip to Paris a few months before I got the film.

Now at present I am 40+ have a 6 yo and a 3yo (+ limited parental support) and we both work so we never have time to really talk until those 'quality time' moments without the kids. So at the end of Before Midnight some people may see that last section as a bit over the top, but I can tell you that whole senario has happen exactly like that many times.

Really feel like the series I mirroring my life. :-)
    Post edited by tattmaylor at 2014-01-17 10:00:29
  • Pet said:

Vampire Circus is one Hammer's better efforts, for sure.

Curiously(?) the last film I watched was another Hammer film -- Creatures the World Forgot. I saw this in a cinema in 1971, and recall thinking (as I walked out the picture house) that it was a strangely impressive film. The other night, I watched it on DVD, and I think I can see why I thought what I did. It was the fourth and last of Hammer's cave girl films. It contains no dinosaurs, but is the only one of their cave girl flicks rated with an 18 certificate.  Very few old Hammer films rate an 18 but, looking at my copy, I find that Vampire Circus is another such.

Oh, the Creatures the World Forgot DVD has the option of subtitles for the hard of hearing -- although it contains no intelligible dialogue, just grunting and other inarticulate noises. That seems a bit weird.

I haven't seen Creatures The World Forgot, I didn't even know it was available on DVD, must check it out some time.

I have recently watched Countess Dracula, also from Hammer and not from Hammer 'Mama' which I thought was rather good.
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Finally got to see Before Midnight. Probably the most anticipation I have felt for a film for many years.

So at the end  some people may see that last section as a bit over the top, but I can tell you that whole senario has happen exactly like that many times.

Really feel like the series I mirroring my life. :-)

Wow. Given the bruising nature of some of the exchanges between Jesse & Celine, I can only express my admiration that you've come through it. I must admit that I didn't find the end too convincing but that's probably down to never having been in a relationship that was ever as intense (not even remotely).
    Some of the scenes rather jarred - Celine topless, for example - but it's still a good film in what's been an exceptional series. Another one or two in the years to come would certainly be worthwhile.

I went to see 'Valerie & Her Week of Wonders' at the cinema. A Czech film, released in 1970, it's a surreal, fairy-tale/gothic horror/coming-of-age tale that's both bizarre and beautiful.

•  
    I went to see 'Valerie & Her Week of Wonders' at the cinema. A Czech film, released in 1970, it's a surreal, fairy-tale/gothic horror/coming-of-age tale that's both bizarre and beautiful.

^ I saw Valarie... years ago and now you're making me give it a re-vist. I wish there were a cinema around here that did fun stuff like that!.
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-01-20 11:16:53
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • A_is_A said:

^ I saw Valarie... years ago and now you're making me give it a re-vist. I wish there were a cinema around here that did fun stuff like that!.

We're lucky in that the British Film Institute are promoting a season of films (Gothic: The Dark Heart of Cinema) exploring representations of witchcraft & gothic horror in film. The current run ranges from 'Frankenstein' to Dreyer's 'Day of Wrath', 'La Belle et la Bete' to 'Daughters of Darkness'.
    Much much more to come during the coming year, at many good arthouse cinemas throughout the UK, apparently :)
  • Daughters of Darkness is brilliant. It might rank above The Hunger if it weren't for the latter's soundtrack.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • How have i missed that one?! HELLO Daughters of Darkness!
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!