Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • I went to see August: Osage County the other night.....bit hard going :(

I saw Osage too and didn't really care for it. "Stranger by the lake" though, that I liked. I think the director did an incredible job creating atmosphere and feeling. Everybody raved about the French gay film "Blue is the warmest color" this was much better, It should have won the Palme d'Or for best film.
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • ^ I finally did catch Blue. So "Stranger by the lake" is better? Hmm, I must take a look.

I just redboxed Blue Jasmine. It was a very good film. A Woody Allen screenplay with twisted irony rather than lighthearted intellectualism. I've admired him as an artist for years, but he's apparently a pedophiIe. After reading Dylan Farrow's (his adopted daughter) open letter detailing sexual abuse..I've lost all respect for him.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • I am totally not surprised that he's a pedophile. It was abundantly clear to me, what,15 or so years ago, when he started publicly dating his 18/20 something yr old, adopted, Asian daughter, whatever her name is. The media rather gave him a pass on it?! So, I don't understand this general (I'm not talking about you here) phoney "shock and surprise" that people are going on about.
    AND even STILL, people defend him. Like they defend Polanski. I don't get it. Whatever. I lost all respect for him a long time ago. But, I do want to see Blue Jasmin, pedophile or not.
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-02-14 23:10:25
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • ^Blue Jasmine is a great film. 
    On the other side, pedophiles should not be defended. Whether they're powerful and famous or not. Even worse if the only reason why they defend such people is to get more films. Rather have children unharmed than a great film..
  • He took advantage of Soon Yi's youth and inexperience, now only to find out it was Dylan too! Disgusting. I think in the letter she said she was 7 when sexual abuse was happening! I'm glad she wrote it.

On a different note I watched the Oscar nominated animated short films last night. I really liked "Feral"...it reminded me of Edward Gorey. Here's a little clip-
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-02-16 15:47:26
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • True Grit (the remake)
    Very disappointed by it. 
  • Lady Windermere's Fan

The 1925 silent version of Oscar Wilde's play was showing at my local film theatre last night, with a live musical accompaniment. A hugely enjoyable night's entertainment.
  • Not soi much a "watched" as much as a "will be watching on Friday and some of you might want to try it"

Just booked a ticket for Friday night's opening showing of the new Jim Jarmusch elegant & sexy vampire flick "Only Lovers Left Alive".

Aside from being a new Jarmusch film getting some excellent reviews, which is a good enough reason anyway, the deal was struck by a storming cast featuring Tom Hiddleston, John Hurt, Mia Wasikowska ("Stoker") and the ever glorious Tim Swinton in a leading role! I know a few people here like a bit of Tilda on screen.

A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Hm, could be interesting, or it could be very bad. It looks Anne Rice-y but could easily slip into Twilight territory, or maybe thats the audience the trailer is trying to draw in. Not that i think Twilight is a bad thing, just we don't need anymore of it.

I watched Mysterious Skin, again. I saw it first a few months ago and was slightly horrified, and yet i watched it again! Apparently i'm some sort of masochist.
  • rewak said:

I watched Mysterious Skin, again. I saw it first a few months ago and was slightly horrified, and yet i watched it again! Apparently i'm some sort of masochist.

That film moved me in a number of ways. Some scenes were quite tender, and much of it reflected my own youth. Plus, the soundtrack is gorgeous.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Left the house for the first time in a week , saw "300 Rise of 'T Empire" , fucking awesome , Lena Headey , Sullivan Stapleton and Eva Green are excellent . The cinematically of the scene after the horse , snapped my jaw off with its sweep , speed and blood letting .
    I can also report that Eva's milk boxes appear to be made of a gravity defying substance . If you enjoyed the first, you will enjoy this one .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • 'Another Year', Mike Leigh makes a good drama with subtle social commentary, I must see more of his movies.
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Two hours after seeing "Under The Skin" I'm still emotionally & mentally scrambled, maybe even more so than when it ended.

Imagine if Kubrick at his most obtuse had done "Man Who Fell To Earth" and had it soundtracked by Coil. There are at least three scenes, one very much in particular, that I'm not going to shake for a good while to come. So little dialogue, bravely, but always transfixing, shocking, or intriguing....often all at once.

Some people will absolutely abhor it but for me it's an absolute next-step movie.

• Oh, that looks sublime!
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • ^^ It's singular, selfish, bloody-minded to it's aim and very much better for it.

It's quite something.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!