Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • Star Trek V - The Final Frontier

Unfortunately lived up to it's bad reputation (as I have never seen before),  good fun in places, partly because it was a bit ridiculous really.
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • I saw La Belle et la Bête yesterday at the cinema, it was wonderful. My favourite scene ... http://youtu.be/R4sUnglqVdY

I also saw the lone ranger, what a god awful film that was.

And I watched Wisconsin death trip. Which I enjoyed.
    Post edited by ping at 2014-01-27 05:27:35
  • Some rather nasty Mexican film, Somos lo que hay - We Are What We Are on BBC4 last night, gruesome really, as is any film concerning cannibalism. I watched 'Darkness' prior to that, the kind of subtle horror I prefer over any kind of cannibal or slasher type horror.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Have just watched a couple of recent-ish (2012/2013) films on the telly-machine... both 3D jobbies as it happens.

1) Star Trek Into Darkness.
    Was vaguely aware that some had criticised this for re-using themes & scenes from early ST films. That didn't put me off as I hadn't seen those films since the early 80s so couldn't really remember any details! Anyway, I though it was a fun outing with the new bunch of actors (ie those taking over from Shatner etc) but would have liked to have seen... more exotic alien worlds and/or more earth-bound scenes. Scenes of people clutching at space-ship furniture following an attack.. doesn't really do it for me any more. Also, the near-final scene - involving Spock having a fist-fight... dullsville. But the character played by Benedict Cumberbatch was brilliantly realised, so a fairly enjoyable film overall - for me. Oh... the 3D stuff was good, but nothing in particular stood out, so to speak.

2) Life of Pi.
    All I knew of this beforehand was that it had a boy, a boat and a tiger in it. I really enjoyed it. No-one should be put off by early promises that the tale will "make you believe in God". I see it more as a story of self-discovery, and it is obviously intended to be open to interpretation. I didn't realise til watching the extras that nearly all of the animal sequences were courtesy of CGI. It is that seamless! So many beautiful scenes (I particularly loved the flying fish!) and here I think the 3D literally does give the film an extra dimension. The "plot" itself is ridiculously simple... but you'd have to be pretty hard-hearted to find it boring.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-01-31 15:15:11
  • ^
    Think you've give a fair assessment of Into Darkness H_J, have not read what you have said about Life of Pi as I have yet to read and watch ;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • ^ Cheers B_M. I tried not to give too much away for either film. ;-)

Yes, 'Life of Pi' was originally a book.. regarded by many as "un-filmable". I've not read it but most reviewers seem to think the film did it justice. You should definitely see the film, and I don't think it matters which you see/read first. It was directed by Ang Lee (of 'Crouching Tiger' fame) and the attention to detail throughout is amazing. :-)
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-01-31 15:26:34
  • ^
    I've made one of these unbreakable commitments to read the book first such is life ;)

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • The September Issue followed by In Vogue: The Editors Eye followed by Boss Women: Anna Wintour

I was in a Vogue mood B-)
  • Just watched 'The night of the hunter'. Goldfrapp used the theme song from this film as the intro music to their 'Tales of us' premiere gigs in Manchester (July, last year). There's a thread about it here.
  • rewak said:

The September Issue followed by In Vogue: The Editors Eye followed by Boss Women: Anna Wintour

I was in a Vogue mood B-)

Love the September Issue. havent seen the other one you mentioned. if you haven't seen it already, may i recommend "scatter my ashes at bergdorf's" rather insightful doc/film about the store. :)

Recently watched Saving Mr Banks. loved it. you can't help but feel how Harry Potter may have turned out if J.K Rowling had that much say over her characters...
  • I went to see August: Osage County the other night.....bit hard going :(
  • Big Bad Wolves: Just fucking dark. Part of me wanted it go on another hour; yet, it was perfect as it was. I've seen some brilliant work come out of Israel, but this might top them all.

Nebraska: Gentle, lovely story. I couldn't tell whether it was the acting that was off or the sound. Still, a charming piece of Americana. I'd love to see Dern win an Oscar for this--if he's even been nominated.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • ^ Yes, Bruce Dern has been nominated and deservedly so. Fabulous performance in a wonderful film.

Other Oscar nominees are Matthew McConaughey & Jared Leto for 'Dallas Buyers Club' which I saw yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyable. Commendably unsentimental, it still proves to be engaging and moving.
  • Dallas had a sentimental moment or two; they were just difficult to detect in the presence of McConaughey's repulsive character. Though I'm not a fan of his, he may just be guaranteed the Oscar for pulling off a first-rate Charlize. It was a difficult performance to watch, as he was a dead ringer for my drug-addled, abusive step father. The film, itself, was a thrill ride that really stalled out at the end. I'm afraid that voters might confuse an Oscar worthy performance with an Oscar worthy docu-drama.

Last night I watched Gravity. Other than Clooney's ham-and-cheese performance, I enjoyed it. Talk about intense and engaging... I can even say that I had no complaints about Sandra Bullock, who usually ruins otherwise decent movies for me. Still, I can't figure out why it was nominated for anything other than technical awards.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-02-09 10:53:48
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • @cookiee_munster "Recently watched Saving Mr Banks. loved it. you can't help but feel how Harry Potter may have turned out if J.K Rowling had that much say over her characters..."

I enjoyed it as well. I liked how it delved into her childhood. I find it interesting that many creative artists had troubled or abusive childhoods. It's their way of rewriting or redrawing the world I suppose.
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-02-10 17:00:12
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!