Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • Do watch it, A. You'll see quite where The Hunger (the novel itself) garnered inspiration.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • American Hustle

great, great film! prefect mix of suspense and hilarity

Jennifer Lawrence is pretty incredible...

• iuventus said:

Do watch it, A. You'll see quite where The Hunger (the novel itself) garnered inspiration.

Ooh exciting! I read The Hunger actually, and because i was obsessed with the film, i also read the sequel. Or rather the pre-quel Lilith...something or other, i can't remember. Anyway, i shall be hunting down these Daughters of Darkness! I'm sure they're just the sort i like:D

^ Hey Cookie, I LOVED American Hustle too. It was great fun right?!
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-01-22 11:34:39
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • The Hobbit - Desolation of The Smaug, went with a friend last night, I liked it but I am not massively obsessive, the dragon was nice.

Just watched 'Taste of Fear', Hammer Films does Noir, very different to many of the Hammer films, very disturbing but not in the 'Horror' fashion Hammer films are most renown for, I would watch it again...
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline

Also watched Star Trek Into Darkness again recently, I like but don't love, still can't get out of my purist state of mind, no one does Kirk like Shatner, Spock like Nimoy, surprisngly I really enjoy Benedict Cumberbatch in this movie though
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-01-22 18:04:36
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Watched American Hustle last night, was rather splendid
  • Noel Coward's Relative Values.  Great Sunday movie.
  • 12 Years a Slave

A very moving film; difficult to watch at moments. Overall a great story, and well filmed, but they did some odd things, like pairing excellent and mediocre actors. Because of that, certain scenes were just awkward. I nearly wanted to laugh when Brad Pitt was giving his heartfelt (near) monologue, or when the character Eliza was grieving. There was also no central story outside of the turn of events. No one overcame even the most subtle of internal transgressions; no borderline decent character crumbled because of a weakness, etc. They could have worked Cumberbatch's character more in that way. Plus, they failed to cover earring holes with makeup--which was actually quite distracting. Despite those very obvious flaws, I'm glad to have seen it; plus, it'll likely win awards because of the subject matter.

Oh, and did I say that Chiwetel Ejiofor was hot! And naked!
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-01-23 17:35:53
  • ^
    I intend to see 12 Years a Slave at some point, I saw Director Steve McQueen's 'Hunger' which is one of the most utterly grim movies imaginable as far as I am concerned,  quite rightly so, one can't pretend these things weren't shit. I am curious to see what he has done with the production given that '12 Years A Slave' has a much more mainstream approach than 'Hunger' did, but I am curios if it informs in the way the grim 'Hunger' does .

I've just watched a film 'The Eagle' on Film 4, quite a good historic drama set in Roman Northern Britain, pretty intriguing in places.
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-01-23 18:28:50
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • ...I am curios if it informs in the way the grim 'Hunger' does.

It's quite gruesome in it's depictions of cruelty. The real weakness, besides some poor casting choices, is there was no dramatic depth to the story.

• Yeah I can see some of the casting as potentially problematic given the subject matter, then again some would argue big Hollywood values will 'inform' a wider public I guess. I will have to see it, but not sure if I'll get round to seeing it on the big screen.
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-01-23 18:59:55
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • The Rocket

Other than "the ultimate underdog story," I couldn't possibly say anything without spoiling it's sublime beauty. Please, watch it.
  • Stoker

It was ok, nothing special, but entertaining enough.
  • ^ The actor Wentworth Miller wrote the screenplay. Yes, the looks are there..but maybe a little more depth.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • 'Inside Llewyn Davis'

Although there are things to admire about the Coen Brothers' films, I can't say I'm much of a fan. I find their style too arch & too fond of indulging their love of bizarre characters and situations to give me anything I could really warm to. One exception, though, was 'Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?' and the music played a large part in that.

So I thought I'd give their latest one a go, not least because some good music was supposed to be at the heart of the film. But I was disappointed. All the familiar features of their style are there with little to elevate the film beyond that. It doesn't help that the main character is such a selfish, self-pitying, pain-in-the-arse. It would've been easier to empathise with his pain if he had more redeeming qualities but even his passion for his music is too understated to really engage.

The film has had lots of praise and positive reviews so maybe I missed something. As it is, I've no desire to revisit the film to find out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!