Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 896 Comments sorted by
  • ^

My rant concerns bigots in Britain today...

I'm afraid I've been similarly shocked and disappointed recently. Sadly, it seems places like this forum may be the exception... the tolerance shown here tends to isolate you from what goes on elsewhere.
    In my case, I came across a thread on Digital Spy, plus a linked-to hashtag on twitter... which at first I thought was a wind-up. It consisted of women, aged probably 20-40, saying how much they hated men having certain physical characteristics. They were being absolutely vile! (It wasn't centred around skin colour, but it was an equally innate attribute.)
    I didn't personally fall into the group being attacked, but it was a shocking reminder that there are many people who seem to thrive on aggressive insults, I guess often it's a sort of bonding thing?? You might expect a bit of that with young children, who hadn't yet learnt to empathise, but these were adults. So saddening.

There's a hell of a lot of stuff creeping in on Facebook in regards to posting about anti-Muslim stuff ever since the murder of the soldier Lee Rigby. Sadly to say a lot of my male friends are doing this and it's pretty nasty stuff. Whatever your thoughts were about that particular case which were very tragic, disgusting even, FB is not a forum for spreading and inciting hate. I won't pretend that woman havent been saying stuff either because they have but not in the violent way the men have.
    I guess this is why I hate Twitter as just see that as another place for loonys to post inappropriate things and claim it's freedom of speech.
    The English Defence League are another bunch who have too much as well. Think they have the right to go on the racist rant but there nothing but thugs themselves. You want bigots there a fine example!
  • On the subject of bigotry etc, how about that Godfrey Bloom?!
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24175041
  • Thanks folks. It can really get to me just how nasty and bigoted a lot of people in the UK are, I guess we have the legacy though?

Godfrey Bloom eh, the only thing I can hope for out of this  is that the general populace wake up to what a nasty bunch of fascists UKIP are, I won't hold my breathe though.

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • People whinging about having done their back in from playing golf - here`s a tip from Dr Sartori - "THATS GOD`S WAY OF TELLING YOU TO STOP PLAYING BLOODY GOLF FFS" .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-09-23 10:35:05
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • The "Best to Worst" threads on here.

Who the fuck cares what tracks you like or don't like?
  • whisperit said:

The "Best to Worst" threads on here.

Who the fuck cares what tracks you like or don't like?

Who the fuck cares about anyone's music taste, deep down?
  • I have a interest. Especially if someone has a similar taste to me.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  •  FB is not a forum for spreading and inciting hate...

In all honesty, I thought that was exactly what it HAD turned out to be, and Twitter just as much. When it's not being a marketing opportunity, that is. Not the only sites like it, and not the worst of the kind, but IME seems like they exist in order to bring out the worst in people.
  • Yahoo let's people get away with absolute hatred and bigotry, I have tried complaining to no avail, the same posters are there continuing to spout hatred contrary to the law. It concerns Mr and Mrs Bull the B&B bigots who refused a gay couple a room, and how these bigots are now out of business, there's some seriously nasty views that seem to be the 'normal', 'decent', 'majority'. No surprise many of these fascists are calling for people to vote UKIP then.

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Hm, On facebook and twitter, I do think it depends on who your "friends" / followers are, and what sort of pages / hashtags you view. It's extremely rare I see any bigotry on either (I've been using FB for 6 years).

Youtube is a different matter. I see lots of abusive comments on there. The obvious reason being that the videos are not posted (just) by my acquaintances.

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-09-23 15:35:21
  • Just had a look at my timeline on Facebook. Here's a rough breakdown:

20%: pictures/videos of friends/family

20%: music-related (gigs, TV slots, new releases)

20%: pets + animals in general

15%: people's statuses of what they're up to / how they're feeling

10%: general jokey / inane comments

5%: comment / debate on sports events

5%: comment / debate on political issues / current affairs

5%: ads

My twitter feed consists of an even spread the bottom 5 in that list. I'm just saying that hateful/insulting comments don't just suddenly confront you when you log-in...

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-09-23 15:04:54
  • I don't see hardly anything hateful on Facebook, which hopefully means most of my friends are fairly reasonable people. I see a bit more on twitter but that's mostly because of retweets or people I follow saying 'look at this awful thing' kinda thing.
    Part of the thing with twitter is it gives you access to people you would never have been able to communicate with before, which is great.. Sometimes. But there's always some numb nut out there ready to throw some crap around. It's a bit sad so many people seem to be like it. :(
    Post edited by ping at 2013-09-23 15:44:59
  • My Facebook is depressing with me seemingly to be scoffing my face all the time, ogling Goldfrapp or posting pussy pictures!
  • ^ lol you do have a way with words. :))
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • ............................. 8-|
    Just Keep Things Simple.....
    Love Goldfrapp.....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!