Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Seventh Tardis - The Doctor Who thread

A thread for all things Who, as suggested by Border_Mind

Captions welcome for this pic please!
    Post edited by Sparky at 2013-06-19 07:43:04

• 271 Comments sorted by

Guess who's my favourite.

• No other country could do Who. I've loved it since i first saw an episode in 1971. Demons and sea-devils and Jon Pertwee. And the companions oozed sex, despite it being a "family show"!
  • Nice one sparky you saved me from doing a Who thread myself ;)

My favorite Doctor's are Tom Baker, Jon Pertwee and David Tennant in no particular order.

My Favorite companions well Leela and K-9.

Contenders for favorite stories are Inferno, The Robots of Death and Waters of Mars.

Doesn't even really scratch the surface....

I

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Here's the inside of my TARDIS ;)

photo TARDISconsole_zps7b3fa94b.jpg
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

My favorite Doctor's are Tom Baker, Jon Pertwee and David Tennant in no particular order.

Contenders for favorite stories are Inferno, The Robots of Death and Waters of Mars.

I

Any time, Border! If anyone can caption the main pic at the top, I'd be very happy. Silliest wins.

• folklore said:

Guess who's my favourite.

Mine too! "What's the point of being grown up if you can't be childish - sometimes?"

I

Let me get back to you on the caption.

Alison and Head First goes well with Doctor Who, the track 'I wanna life' has been mentioned on all those
    Head First threads in context of Doctor Who. Did you hear that Matt Smith's favorite song at the time of getting the job was A&E? I guess he's not all bad then, a can of worms really. I didn't like Matt Smith at first, I found the quirkiness very false but as time went on, and most especially since series 7 I've grown to like him a lot more. Matt's quite low down the list of all time Doctor's I am afraid,  I don't feel negative towards him any more at least eh
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • A welcome excuse to post a picture of Lalla Ward :)

• Romana! I adored her when I was a tyke.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • What do people think of this tenuous link to goldfrapp and DW, I'm convinced the DW theme tune had a slight influence on the track 'utopia'!!! & then of course, the Master returned in the 2007 story 'utopia', so Goldfrapp influenced Who, then Who went and got influenced by Goldfrapp. The themes in the story 'utopia' are not actually that far off from the song either ;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Alison has said she was a big fan of sci-fi (recent interview) and I'm sure she as a soft spot for DW.

Maybe Will Gregory could be the next Doctor?

• I do remember an interview with Will and the interviewer mentioned whether Goldfrapp was influenced by Doctor Who and he said it was more cinematic film soundtrack (paraphrasing) than tv so not that much influenced by Who. Utopia was more Ennio Moriccone.

The creator of the Who theme and Will are both knob twiddly synth people though so that's a similarity!

• folklore said:

I do remember an interview with Will and the interviewer mentioned whether Goldfrapp was influenced by Doctor Who and he said it was more cinematic film soundtrack (paraphrasing) than tv so not that much influenced by Who. Utopia was more Ennio Moriccone.

The creator of the Who theme and Will are both knob twiddly synth people though so that's a similarity!

Delia Derbyshire was the original mixer of Ron Grainer's famous theme. She effectively created electronic music and some would say techno! It is the most famous bassline in the world. I had a little go at remixing it here...

Post edited by Sparky at 2013-06-19 10:37:41

• Post edited by Sparky at 2013-06-20 13:20:21

• Yeah not bad at all Sparky. As you'll sure know there are a lot of different interpretations out there where the Who theme is concerned. My favorites are the Dub Syndicate and Orbital takes on it.

I guess that's the thing with 'Utopia' maybe it's case of a fan or critic can hear something the artists doesn't or had never intended.

Yeah Wil Gregory for the Doctor fine by me, funnily enough Wil Gregory reminds me a bit of another audio genius geek, a certain Mark Ayres. I dunno they even look a bit similar but both are wizards in the world of audio as far as I'm concerned.
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-06-19 12:54:50
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!