Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Seventh Tardis - The Doctor Who thread
  • 271 Comments sorted by
  • Yes I always thought Will was a sonic pioneer (Delia Derbyshire, Leftfield, Chemical Brothers, Sigur Ros) but who is Mark Ayres? Or am I being a cave dweller here...

• Sparky said:

Yes I always thought Will was a sonic pioneer (Delia Derbyshire, Leftfield, Chemical Brothers, Sigur Ros) but who is Mark Ayres? Or am I being a cave dweller here...

Not at all. OK Mark Ayres long association with Doctor Who began when he was in his twenties he composed the incidental music for the Sylvester McCoy stories; The Greatest Show In The Galaxy (1988), Ghostlight and The Curse of Fenric (1989). He has restored a hell of a lot of Doctor Who audio from the original series, whether that's from fan made off air audio from the missing stories, thus allowing them to be released as audio versions or touching up the sound on stories released on DVD, 5.1 mixes from what source material is available,  this kind of thing. He is also frequently doing music, often cover versions if you like that appears on the Silvascreen label. He's maybe not at Wil's level of success, but he does seem to know an awful lot about music, I've read him say his tastes range from Beethoven to the Sex Pistols, and he sure knows a lot about audio technology. Hope that answers your question ;)
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-06-20 12:35:49
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Oh btw fans of the original series, have you been hearing these 'rumors' about a load of missing episodes having turned up? I hope this turns out to be true ;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Border - I'm not that much a fan of the original series myself.. I enjoyed it at the time but don't plan on re-watching the old stuff now.

I lurk a lot (and occasionally post) on the Digital Spy Dr Who section.. do you ever go there? There are of course more dedicated DW websites, but they'd be a bit too - umm fan-boyish for me.

• OMG, this thread is hilarious.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • Border - I'm not that much a fan of the original series myself.. I enjoyed it at the time but don't plan on re-watching the old stuff now.

I lurk a lot (and occasionally post) on the Digital Spy Dr Who section.. do you ever go there? There are of course more dedicated DW websites, but they'd be a bit too - umm fan-boyish for me.

I have a look on there and other sites occasionally yes. I like all Who old and new and am pleased at the prospect that there might be some Hartnell and Troughton stories about to be recovered, I won't stop re-watching the 'classics' ;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  •  We see the TV crews out and about in Cardiff all the time , although my kids would probably disown me if I was an extra . We took my offspring and my evil `awkward question asking` nephews and niece to the Dr Who exhibition , can`t find the pictures we took though . We only watch the current shows , not really into the old monsters on a stick era`s .

I`ll sadly admit , we play "Cardiff Watch" and name the different areas they`re using to film in . The house where Clara is supposed to live in , is in Roath Park area of Cardiff (by me) and a few doors away from where Colin Jacksons mum and dad live (copyright "Sartoris World of Useless and Shit Info" 2013) 
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-20 15:38:28
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • You live in Cardiff too? I used to play that game myself XD
  • Yup , for my sins - mostly involving coffee and twix bars . You`re in Cardiff or used to be ? Are you going to Brizzle on Sunday ?
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-20 15:56:07
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Brizzle? What's that?
  • ^ The city of Bristol, in England. GF are playing a gig there. :)
  • Ack, of course! Sadly not. This weekend is very packed. Otherwise I'd have made arangements to go XD
  • Geek Alert, only Geeks will  have any interest! (& maybe not even them eh)

I've mentioned elsewhere my current viewing is Star trek The Next Generation, the second series. I had never really seen much of it previously so coming to it fairly new, whilst always loving the films and original series.

Two epsides I have just recently watched really baffled me in a Doctor Who kind of context:

'Time Squared' Picard from 6 hours in the future after Enterprise has been destroyed comes to kind of warn them or something.... Well this isn't allowed to happen in Doctor Who, Time Lords meeting them self is one thing, but humans is a big no-no, so very amusing.

'Q Who?' Well this was very Doctor Who, the first appearance of The Borg who really were a bit of a cybermen rip off surely????

Now there is a comic book which merges Matt Smith's Doctor Who with Star Trek TNG, I haven't got it, but kind of wouldn't mind at all

Border_Mind expects a blank on this one LOL

:x
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-06-21 16:02:35
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Get ready to make a mess of your pants - 

Post edited by Sartori at 2013-06-27 11:49:48
  • Thanks for sharing, I haven't found that on any DW site thus far, though it's obviously designed to be seen in 3D and is a bit disorientating to watch on a non 3D monitor
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!