Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Seventh Tardis - The Doctor Who thread
  • 271 Comments sorted by
  • Not the worst choice, I am glad to see a more mature actor get the role, a bit of a coup for the agism accusations that have been leveled at the BBC in recent times
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Not the worst choice, I am glad to see a more mature actor get the role, a bit of a coup for the agism accusations that have been leveled at the BBC in recent times

Yes, and I'm hoping it means a Timelord with bigger balls (much as I loved Matt Smith)

But he's not a black hispanic jewish disabled woman, so there are still unhappy people.
  • Kiyuri said:

Not the worst choice, I am glad to see a more mature actor get the role, a bit of a coup for the agism accusations that have been leveled at the BBC in recent times

But he's not a black hispanic jewish disabled woman, so there are still unhappy people.

I'm with Aesop on this one
    "its MY favourite song"
  • Kiyuri said:

Let them watch The View.

If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Arrghh! This thread's suddenly channelling Jeremy Clarkson!
    Post edited by whisperit at 2013-08-07 14:05:51
  • WHO are your favorite  Doctor's? My list goes something like
    1. Tom Baker
    2. Jon Pertwee
    3. David Tennant
    4. William Hartnell
    5. Patrick Troughton
    6. Peter Davison
    7. Christopher Eccleston
    8. Sylvester McCoy
    9. Colin Baker
    10. Matt Smith
    11. Paul McGann (not his fault, we didn't  get to see him develop on screen)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  •  

If Capaldi is visiting his back catalogue (is that a euphemism?), then forget Malcolm Tucker, let's have an episode where Amanda Donohoe is an immortal snake cult high priestess whose clothes keep falling off*.

APL

* I'm only flesh and blood. Stop judging me.

"Cleanliness and chickens. Those are two concepts I will always stand by"
    Geddy Lee
  • WHO are your favorite Doctor's?

My list goes something like
    1. Matt Smith
    2. David Tennant
    3. Christopher Eccleston
    4. Tom Baker
    5. Paul McGann
    6. Peter Davidson
    7. Sylvester McCoy
    8. Colin Baker
    9. Jon Pertwee
    10. Patrick Troughton
    11. William Hartnell

Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • Cheers MD how radically different are tastes in Doctor's are ;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Tom Baker was the first Dr I ever saw and I remember him vividly regenerate into Peter Davidson.  A few years later I lost interest.  It was only when I returned as an adult at the same time that they rebooted the series that I seriously became a fan.  I thought, how can they top Christopher (and then they did).  It will never be as good without Billie Piper (but it continued to be excellent).  David Tennant was incredible, surely it won't be worth watching without him but then Matt and Karen moved me to tears.  When Karen left I had nothing to fear as Jenna is my favourite assistant to date (I love her - quite literally).  I was disappointed by the Peter Capoldi news but going on past experience I have nothing to worry about.

Saying that, Torchwood used to be good until they changed the format and set the week-long mini-series in the USA - totally spoiled it for me.
  • Loved Eccleston and Tennant, recently I have warmed to Matt Smith, Gillan was OK, though the companion rarely interests me as much as The Doctor, that's the way I like things to be. I say recently because I found Matt Smith unbearable to watch during the first two seasons, which are subsequently not as bad as I thought they were at the time on renewed viewing, but I know he will never be in my top five and unlikely to ever be in the top ten even.

I actually liked Torchwood Miracle Day, as I say MD it's a personal taste thing, we can't all have the same tastes, or else we would all be like Daleks.

Speaking of which I have watched Genesis of The Daleks again recently, and whilst the new series might be a lot more visually spectacularly, they tend to lack the depth of something like Genesis of The Daleks. The way morality is debated is so deep,and thought provoking, there just doesn't seem to be any room for such such thought provoking commentary in modern TV,  here's a good example ;)

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • It's a shame I can't seem to find that other great morality speech from Genesis of The Daleks, where Tom Baker debates if he has the right to destroy the daleks and to do so would make him no better than the Daleks, that was and still is one of the greatest moments in Who history ;)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Compelling @Border_Mind.  It's how I fondly remember lots of sci-fi from the 80's.  However, I have to say that I like the humanity angle with the new Dr Who.  By blending it into drama with a more human element I feel that it has moved with the times and is a little more believable and accessible for all.

I'm glad that we don't all have the same tastes though (otherwise there would be nothing left that I liked at the supermarket.)  :))
    Post edited by mode_devotion at 2013-08-07 18:15:22
  • @mode_devotion

I totally understand where you are coming from, agree at some point even, but I think  it's true to say DW has always been accessible to all, that is with the exception of the 1980s  when producer John Nathan Turner pandered way too much to fan mythology, and it was ultimately alienating to the wider viewer and forced the shows cancellation.

Personally I much preferred Russel T Davies as show-runner than Stephen Moffat, I can't help feeling he needs to move on and give someone else a chance really.
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-08-07 18:26:29
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!