Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Seventh Tardis - The Doctor Who thread
  • 271 Comments sorted by
  • So what did you make of the Xmas Who then?
    It was not well recieved in the whisper household.

PS - Sartori - you can do "Cardiff Watch" on "Sherlock" too. Even though most of it is filmed in London, there's the odd chunk of Welsh thrown in every now and then.
  • whisperit said:

So what did you make of the Xmas Who then?
    It was not well recieved in the whisper household.

PS - Sartori - you can do "Cardiff Watch" on "Sherlock" too. Even though most of it is filmed in London, there's the odd chunk of Welsh thrown in every now and then.

Yup , I`ve seen it being filmed (well the crews anyway) over by Roath Park , a friend of my wifes bumped into Martin and asked for an autograph and he said no as he was trying to stay in character - pwned . Of course it was the obligatory front of Cardiff Museum with a burger stand shot last night . 

Xmas Dr Who was shit . 
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • The main faults were the usual for me, real Russell T Davis pomposity (kind of usual for Xmas eposide -although last years was the exception). It's funny in the Davis era the Moffat episodes were brilliant (fav Dr Who episodes ever) but as soon as he took over it if eventually went silly again. Wonder if is such a brand now he really doesn't have that much control? I.e. He has certain boxes that have to be ticked (especially at Xmas).

BUT there are enough great lines in it for me to love. I did like the explanation of doctor numbers, made so bleeding lay obvious it was like Moffat saying 'right you lot, here is the explanation stop bickering about it' :-)
  • ....my dopey twat sister failed to understand the episode at all, she's not the sharpest. I did a crosscheck and gave my kids a multi choice questionnaire based upon the Xmas special, which they passed 10/10 , it confirmed my foo foo 7dwarfs based sister name calling was appropriate.
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Last sundays Sherlock (the Wedding episode) destroyed Dr Who!!  I work of genius and best thing I saw all holidays.

How can Moffat and Gatiss write that and get now where near on Doctor Who. I really think Doctor Who is now such a global brand there are demand so on content / script and to many fingers in the mix.

• The Moffat era comes nowhere near to the Barry Letts or Philip Hinchliffe eras and is barely on par with the John Nathan Turner era in my honest opinion. I hope Moffat moves on actually, and much preferred RTD. No doubt  I've said all this before and it's all about personal taste, still better to have some Who than none at all. I hope Capaldi's Doctor will blow me away, but I have no idea yet whether he will or not, though his introduction was easily the highlight of a not that great episode at Xmas.

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • The Moffat era comes nowhere near to the Barry Letts or Philip Hinchliffe eras and is barely on par with the John Nathan Turner era in my honest opinion. I hope Moffat moves on actually, and much preferred RTD. No doubt  I've said all this before and it's all about personal taste, still better to have some Who than none at all. I hope Capaldi's Doctor will blow me away, but I have no idea yet whether he will or not, though his introduction was easily the highlight of a not that great episode at Xmas.

Did you watch Sherlock on Sunday? Why can't he do that with Who?

Is it target audience age problem?

From what I gathered from recent documentaries, the Tom Baker era was lucky in that the BBC basically let them do what they wanted. I mean they let Douglas Adams take charge at one point.
  •  I think on paper the story worked but lawks a lawkey it was boring and deflected from the bits that weren`t . 

Meanwhile , over in the lilac coated fields of Cardiff 

"See that over there love , its a fucking kettle , if I don`t get a fucking cup of twatting tea in 5 arse spangling minutes , I`m going to shitting bore you a new titty sprinkle hole" 

• Did you watch Sherlock on Sunday? Why can't he do that with Who?

Is it target audience age problem?

From what I gathered from recent documentaries, the Tom Baker era was lucky in that the BBC basically let them do what they wanted. I mean they let Douglas Adams take charge at one point.

I must be one of the few not watching Sherlock, a mixture of not wanting to watch too much TV, and  not really being keen on the lead man or Sherlock Holmes more generally, so no not seen any of it, maybe one day though...

Douglas Adams was indeed the script editor (1978-79), and penned 'the City of Death' (among one or two others) and that is highly regarded amongst fans.

The target age problem, I guess the question always remains is Doctor Who purely a children's TV programme? I have known fans to get quite irate at the labeling of DW as children's TV. I think some eras were more childish than others, and whilst I personally didn't love Matt Smith's Doctor I can see he had the right ingredients to appeal to younger viewers. So I guess Moffat aims DW first and foremost at the kiddies?

Post edited by Border_Mind at 2014-01-11 09:16:55
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • "I was five when the show started. I don’t remember Doctor Who not
    being part of my life, and it became a part of growing up, along with
    The Beatles, National Health spectacles, and fog. And it runs deep. It’s
    in my DNA..."

nice quote I came across from Peter Capaldi
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • ^It should be perfectly possible for a good writer to write Dr Who so that it is satisfying for both children and adults. Not easy, but possible - think about how so many fairy and folk tales manage it. I reckon that for the salary the BBC must be paying, they ought to be doing better than Moffat.

One of the problems with the Xmas special was that he was confusing epic themes with an epic ego....

Hey! I'm writing this as if I actually care! That's got to be a useful skill.

• whisperit said:

One of the problems with the Xmas special was that he was confusing epic themes with an epic ego....

I definitely agree there, Moffat likes to make his mark, with often crap results; terrible Daleks and since when would the doctor use a gun? Only under Stephen Moffat it seems.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Filming is a go , this is a clip from the 13th in Cardiff (Goldfrapp link , its opposite the ex-church that they played in absolutely yonks ago , where I met HJ and a few others wiv me mrs) 

Post edited by Sartori at 2014-01-14 10:42:14
  • The more I think about it, the more I like Capaldi as a choice to play the Doctor. I have to really laugh at some of the comments I have read on imdb that he isn't Doctorish enough, he's too old, not good looking enough, etc, amazing how nothing before David Ten Inch registers to a lot of people who claim to know about Doctor Who.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!