Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Seventh Tardis - The Doctor Who thread
  • 271 Comments sorted by
  • So far I've been really impressed with the 50th anniversary celebrations, An Adventure in Space and Time was very moving, and An Unearthly Child on BBC 4 - well worth staying up for.
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • ^ I agree... touching indeed.

Did you know Matt Smith was due to appear? I didn't! A bit of dramatic license, but on balance I'd say it helped emphasize WH's legacy. Certainly made me go: What?! what?! ;-)
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-11-21 20:32:31
  • ^ I agree... touching indeed.

Did you know Matt Smith was due to appear? I didn't! A bit of dramatic license, but on balance I'd say it helped emphasize WH's legacy. Certainly made me go: What?! what?! ;-)

I had no idea at all H_J, I even noticed homage to David Tennant when Hartnell (David Bradley) said 'I don't want to go' I believe they were DT's last words before he regenerated, or they were very close to that as memory recalls. I think there was a fair bit of dramatic license, but so much truth.  That scene were Hartnell was giving grief to Carole Anne Ford over how she spends her money was taken directly from interviews Carole Anne Ford has given. I don't think we could have asked for a better tribute really. I would be happy to see such dramas produced for each era of Doctor Who, however unlikely that may be ;)

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • The big day is finally upon us! :)

Here are just a few of my favorite interpretations of the best theme tune ever

Dub Syndicate

Orbital

The Timelords (KLF)

anyone else? ;)

Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-11-23 10:42:11
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Big day for you Who fans. I have heard plenty about it in loads of places. Not really a fan myself. I am a Star Wars one though. Hope you are enjoying it.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • That was some anniversary, loved the episode, the cameo of Tom Baker was just one of many unexpected surprises, and Doctor Who beat the evil X Factor, great stuff.
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought they got the balance just right... and avoided putting too many tributes in.

The Peter Davison -penned "Why wasn't I in the 50th?" romp was very good too! :-)

• The Peter Davison -penned "Why wasn't I in the 50th?" romp was very good too! :-)

Yes that was a real highlight, didn't mange to record it from the red button which is a shame as I would rewatch that a lot I guess .
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • ^ no, me neither. (it's on iPlayer for a while, at least).

But i did record the 3D version of the main show. When you play it back on a non-3d tv, you see 2 images, side-by-side. Not much use! But i am getting a 3D unit soon, so that should be interesting.
  • yeah I managed to record Night of The Doctor  at least;)

Perhaps The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot will get some kind of official release, here's hoping, Davison does comedy quite well, here's a little gem for you (you may have seen already)

It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • DAY OF THE DOCTOR. So what do you reckon?

As much as i liked the re boot (Eccleston) i thought it got a bit to camp in mid period Tennant. The Russell T. Davis Christmas specials just got ridiculous. Trying to shoe horn in massive plot, humour, drama, sentiment and overblown finale's. It was very exciting when Moffat took over, I thought it would be like when Douglas Adams took over. All his episodes in re-boot where my favourites.

I loved Matt and ginger but then i think it all got a bit too complicated and the christmas special's started going all Russell Davis again. But then last years special was my fav Dr Who in ages, Finally thought he'd dumped the Davis style. Liked new assistant, loved he whole alien sidekick thing. It had humour but the plot was simple enough to have drama as well ... and it was clever.

So was expecting a lot, especially after juicy ending of series with Hurt.

It's tricky, these anniversary episodes are always a bit cheesy. I like simple stand alone episodes that don't have too many sub plots and boxes to be ticked. But i think it had enough subtle nods in the script to make it work better than usual. The whole Elizabeth bit was a bit silly but I LOVED the Tom Baker cameo. Some people didn't get it (loved the line excusing how you can do what you want with time travel - don't take it seriously). Tom Baker is my Dr Who and I believe he is also either Moffats or Smiths (the wink by Smith).

Also check out the Tom Baker interview on the after party. He denied he was in the episode (said they did some studio trickery with old footage) but when challenged the he appeared as the curator he did say he once had a fling with a girl who was curator at the National Gallery ...followed by he trademark smile. He still thinks he is Dr WHO :-).

As a footnote: Still think Clara is underused. She is playing the role of classic sidekick but her personality is much more on the ball, almost like a alien sidekick. Think they need a different kind of assistant. i.e. normal but feisty girl with father issues and dopey boyfriend who comes good in end. If you looked at the range of assistants in the Baker period it was much more interesting.
  • Just seen this which, to be honest, is better than drama last thursday and the special on Sunday...

The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot! 

Comedy Gold!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b03lv3mj/
  • I watched it and enjoyed it , but I thought there were too many clever referencial points within it for fanboys and became a bit mashy . As I live in Cardiff , every episode still turns into "Cardiff Watch" and the opening scene in the school (Gladstone Junior School) happened to be where my mrs went to school , she almost choked on her tea haha .

Thoroughly enjoyed the Fiveish Drs Reboot , especially the John Barrowman bits . "....and that was John Barrowman with `I am what I am` "

I enjoy sidekicks as a Holmes/Watson dynamic , Clara fits in well , has a degree of gravitas to her performance and is undeniably spunky . 
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Couldn't follow it but then the writing is layered and rewards repeated viewings. But it's still a bit clever clever. The Zygons were under used and the Time War should have been centre stage rather than in the background. Beautiful effects and the Capaldi and Baker cameos were mint.

I think Gatiss should run the show now. He's got the gothic horror of Pertwee's era, coupled with a more classic style of story telling. Moffat writes great dialogue and comedy, but his plots are completely elastic and boomerang. Can't wait for xmas!

• Pet's posted a clip that might be of interest here
    Post edited by whisperit at 2013-11-26 17:26:35

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!