Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Seventh Tardis - The Doctor Who thread
  • 271 Comments sorted by
  • Just watched episode 2 - Into the Dalek. Along the lines of Fantastic Voyage for anyone who remembers that ( and Raquel Welch! )
    Loved the bit where Ross is killed and then his 'remains' are dumped into the organic refuse pit, which the Doctor and companions then escape into. When they are standing in the liquid 'goup' ( similarities to the refuse chamber scene from Star Wars), and Journey Blue asks ' is Ross in here' and the Doctor replies 'yeah, he's the top layer if you want to say a few words' I laughed my cock off! I know I shouldn't have, death being serious and all that, but it was funny.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • ^ Haha! I also loved this exchange:

“This is Clara. She’s not... my assistant; she’s... some other word.”
    “I’m his carer.”
    "Yeah, my carer. She cares so I don’t have to.”

I actually preferred the first week's ep. This seemed a bit rushed/messy towards the end.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-09-02 16:16:46
  • If I am going to criticise, it was derivative. As well as the Fantastic Voyage similarity, and the refuse bay scene on the Death Star in Star Wars, we also had what was very close to a Vulcan mind meld between the Dr and the Dalek.
    I did enjoy seeing Peter Capaldi completely covered in the goup though. He is certainly prepared to get wet !
  • For me the 1st episode seems stronger and I'm not sure if the second one felt less so because it was or in comparison to the 'event viewing' mindset I had in the cinema for the first one. Still enjoyable, though, and only two in there's bound to be a curve to get into.

Suitably intrigued by "Missy" and the location clipped between both episodes - who/what/where/why?!?
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • So, a great introductory first episode, a derivative second episode already relying on a top foe and now..........well....a truly dreadful third one that again just riffs an old existing story. That really was a stinker.

I was full of excitement for this era/series coming out of the cinema a couple of weeks ago but now I'm really not so sure.

A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • So, a great introductory first episode, a derivative second episode already relying on a top foe and now..........well....a truly dreadful third one that again just riffs an old existing story. That really was a stinker.

I was full of excitement for this era/series coming out of the cinema a couple of weeks ago but now I'm really not so sure.

Involving a camp Robin Hood ! Almost Carry On Doctor ! We saw the arrow hitting the Tardis about 3 seconds before it actually appeared. It is this need to appeal to the early evening market and the kids though that does it, which is why Torchwood took this idea somewhere Dr Who cannot go.
    The Sheriff putting the landowner to the sword early on for spitting in his face was a bit gratuatous though, and Clara did look stunning in that dress !  Ben Millar is a very flexible actor.
  • It was shit .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • They apparently edited out a scene in which someone was beheaded. Can't imagine it was actually very explicit, though!

Mark Gatiss has written at least one good episode (the Diana Rigg one), so Dog knows what he was up to with this one... it really did sound like (poor) kids TV, especially the "bantering".
  • Apparently, Into the Dalek is not the first Dr Who to use the miniaturisation storyline and being injected into a body. In the 1977 episode 'The Invisible Enemy' the Dr ( Jon Pertwee?) and his assistant Leela, are cloned, shrunk and injected into the Dr's host body to locate an intelligent virus which is attacking it. They even used the tear duct as the means to leave the body, as they did in Fantastic Voyage
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-09-07 08:16:21
  • Sartori said:

It was shit .

The Ying and Yang of Dr Who episodes, this weeks episode wiping out any memory of last week's sick toaster story. Superb-a-mundo acting with gravitas & emotion wrenching performances & story.
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Watched episode 4 last night.  Much better and psychological in its approach.  Therefore, not so orientated towards kids so better IMHO.

Some genuinley scarey sequences.  Who looked under the bed after watching it?

• Posted on another thread but seemed more relavant hear...

...one cool lady.

Delia Derbyshire - Sculptress of Sound documentary

Post edited by tattmaylor at 2014-09-26 05:20:50
  • As for the new Doctor still not sure.

The problem is they are trying to go for the darkness and grumpiness of Tom Baker years but at the same time they are still giving consessions to the sentimetality and campness of the T. Davis years. It's like it's written by committee and they are trying to tick too many boxes. Great ideas get lost in execution. For me it's still hasn't moved on anywhere from ther T. Davis years, it's ike they have a formula. They say they are doing somethig different (darker, more serious) but in reality they daren't move to far away from what has worked before.

So Moffat has these great ideas (and some great dialogue) that gets totally lost in execution. I have not idea if that is his fault or his hands are forced. It is a massive cash earner for the BBC worldwise so i'm guessing he has big exectutives breathing down his shoulder. People have to remember in the Baker years they were just left to do what they want. I only seem to get pleasure for odd episodes and hate the big finalies!

The one thing I do have a big opinion on is Clara. Most of my collegues don't like her, they say she has no balls/edge. But I have got sick of the age old young female assistant with massive father issues, a wimpy boyfriend, and loads of plucky wit and a human warmth and compassion. Clara, although she is young and hot ;-) (she looked great in a here suit outfit the other night) is almost the opposite. She actually has more in common with the Doctor.

• I watched the show off and on as a child; on precisely when I visited my dad, who was a tv/sci-fi/horror freak. Otherwise, I played outside, read books, studied music, etc. TV at our house was usually a family night activity: The Wonderful World of Disney, The Waltons, Little House on the Prairie, etc. Oddly, my father figure was a drug dealer/manufacturer and my actual dad was an intellectual.

Point is, I loved Dr Who, but never had a chance to get to know it inside and out. Then, I missed my second chance with the reboot, as I haven't had television reception most of the 2000s to present. When I did, I was so far behind that I felt it was useless to try to catch up. I would've loved to have seen David Tennant and Catherine Tate working together.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I still believe Capaldi's best episodes are yet to come. They're dark enough yet, he's still holding back.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!