Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Seventh Tardis - The Doctor Who thread
  • 271 Comments sorted by

• "I am a doctor... but probably not the one you expected."

I liked that one yeah, I also liked the fact The Sisterhood Of Karn were featured, last seen in the Tom Baker classic The Brain Of Morbius, great stuff ;)
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Trailer for An Adventure In Space and Time

Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-11-14 15:37:03
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to that almost as much as the 50th special?
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • ^ I'm really looking forward to that too! A super bit of nostalgia, I'd imagine. (Though no - I'm not old enough to have witnessed it first hand!)

I watched the Brian Cox 'Science of Doctor Who' show last night. It came in for a fair bit of flack on the web, but I thought it achieved what it set out to do... ie explain to the typical Who fan the possibilities and limitations of time travel... within a one hour show... with a bit of Cox/Doc11 banter thrown in for light relief... not an easy task! :-)
  • The earliest Who adventure I remember is The Web Planet. Still the best, too.

Broadcast in 1965, I'm told. But I'm not that old, of course. Just time travelling.
  • ^ I'm really looking forward to that too! A super bit of nostalgia, I'd imagine. (Though no - I'm not old enough to have witnessed it first hand!)

I watched the Brian Cox 'Science of Doctor Who' show last night. It came in for a fair bit of flack on the web, but I thought it achieved what it set out to do... ie explain to the typical Who fan the possibilities and limitations of time travel... within a one hour show... with a bit of Cox/Doc11 banter thrown in for light relief... not an easy task! :-)

I've got it on my TiVo yet to watch but imagine it's like a Royal Christmas Lecture (love those!) except with a Who slant thrown in?
  • whisperit said:

The earliest Who adventure I remember is The Web Planet. Still the best, too.

Broadcast in 1965, I'm told. But I'm not that old, of course. Just time travelling.

I appeared in '67 and I think it was a Pertwee one I saw first. That's what my memory is telling me, anyway.

Something tells me it was in B&W so somewhere early/mid 70's?

Could well be wrong - it feels a long time ago now!
  • I've got it on my TiVo yet to watch but imagine it's like a Royal Christmas Lecture (love those!) except with a Who slant thrown in?

Yes, that's exactly what it was. A few celebrities in the audience / asked to demo something. Charles Dance was great!

There's a nice bit near the end with Doc11+Cox speculating that a young viewer may be inspired by the show and go on to achieve great things in science...
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-11-15 11:19:16

Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to that almost as much as the 50th special?

Absolutely NOT ;) I am also looking forward to it in equal proportion to 'The Day Of The Doctor'.

Incidentally picking up on your early memories, all the Pertwee's were all originally made in Colour just not everyone had a colour TV back then of course. Until recently, not every Pertwee story existed in colour in the BBC archives, however the wonders of technology has meant that the episodes that only existed previously as B&W 35mm films have now been colourised, so once again the Pertwee era can be enjoyed in full colour.

H_J, I kind of liked the Brian Cox thing, though I am not exactly scientifically minded so it largely went over my head if I am honest.
    Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-11-15 12:31:43
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • and now we get a preview of The Day Of The Doctor from Children In Need, which I must admit I was not watching, I was watching the monster count down instead, particularly enjoyed watching Planet of The Ood and The Girl In The Fireplace again

Post edited by Border_Mind at 2013-11-15 18:07:41
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Love Paul McGann. So amazed to see this with no spoilers. How did they keep that one secret?

• It's a shame McGann isn't appearing in Day Of The Doctor (well I assume that to be the case)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • All the McGanns have been good.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • There's a show on tonight (8pm BBC 3) that I don't think was on the earlier lists:

Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide
    To celebrate the sci-fi show's upcoming 50th anniversary special The Day of the Doctor, outgoing Time Lord Matt Smith and his current travelling companion Jenna Coleman take an in-depth look at the programme's development over the years. They profile all 11 incarnations of the Doctor, as well as his many sidekicks and adversaries, recalling the most famous scenes, storylines and classic moments. Featuring contributions by David Tennant, Paul McGann, Sylvester McCoy, Noel Clarke, Rick Edwards, Konnie Huq and McFly.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-11-18 14:33:46
  • I noticed that was on and will look at it later

I have been quite impressed with some of the Big Finish Audio dramas on Radio 4 extra, that 'Protect & Survive' was really quite something. Big Finish can be a bit hit and miss, this 'fanfare for the common man' also sounds an interesting concept. Anyone else (namely Sparky) have much of a view on the BF audio range?
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!