Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
What`s the last film you watched ?
  • 1165 Comments sorted by
  • My kind of man...oh, I mean film.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Only Lovers Left Alive

Don't really know, first hour fit my mood perfectly and I was quite content just watching these people, last hour felt so contrived and too...optimistic? Maybe says more about me than the film.
    Post edited by rewak at 2014-03-17 01:11:34
  • Two hours after seeing "Under The Skin" I'm still emotionally & mentally scrambled, maybe even more so than when it ended.

Imagine if Kubrick at his most obtuse had done "Man Who Fell To Earth" and had it soundtracked by Coil. There are at least three scenes, one very much in particular, that I'm not going to shake for a good while to come. So little dialogue, bravely, but always transfixing, shocking, or intriguing....often all at once.

Some people will absolutely abhor it but for me it's an absolute next-step movie.

Looks like it's not released here until April 4th. I'm really curious about it. I read a review of the book where someone said it was a veiled commentary about factory farming. You have me intrigued... :-?
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Ponygurl said:

Two hours after seeing "Under The Skin" I'm still emotionally & mentally scrambled, maybe even more so than when it ended.

Imagine if Kubrick at his most obtuse had done "Man Who Fell To Earth" and had it soundtracked by Coil. There are at least three scenes, one very much in particular, that I'm not going to shake for a good while to come. So little dialogue, bravely, but always transfixing, shocking, or intriguing....often all at once.

Some people will absolutely abhor it but for me it's an absolute next-step movie.

Looks like it's not released here until April 4th. I'm really curious about it. I read a review of the book where someone said it was a veiled commentary about factory farming. You have me intrigued... :-?

By all accounts (I've not read the book myself yet) the film has taken the idea and essence of the original story and gone off in a different direction with it - lots left unsaid or only obtusely alluded to and other bits changed out entirely.

The sound design and soundtrack is extraordinary, almost like a second lead role to SJ's lead - like with Requiem For A Dream it's near impossible to hear the music without picturing the film or think of the film without hearing the music - the two parts are completely locked together.

You may love it or you may hate it but I'd still say to go and see it and a big screen somewhere if you can. It'll definitely provoke a reaction one way or the other!

A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Knights of Badassdom

A barrel of monkeys, really. I'm sure it could've been better. There's been plenty of talk about how the studio botched things, a director's cut, missing scenes... Still, the place was packed (albeit with gaming nerds) and it kept everyone in stitches.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • I tried to watch most of the Oscar Nominees from this year. 
    Apart from Nebraska and Gravity a total waste of time, for me at least.
    Post edited by HolyOwl at 2014-03-20 18:14:50
    Be patient.
  • Just got through most of my 5disc Blade Runner set.

Have to say the Dangerous Days documentary is one of the most comprehensive film documentaries i have ever scene. Near enough everyone involved is on it, nearly all the film clips in it are unseen footage and out takes :-). Truely brilliant and even for a big fan like me loads of stuff i didn't know about, hadn't seen.

There is hours of documentary stuff (I'd advise not to do all at once as it may be too much) and it's all interesting. Only thing missing is a Vangelis interview (or VanGELLis as Sean Young likes to say). Flicked through the work cut (which is poor quality but amazing they found it) and surprisingly it isn't that far from what we ended up with. Just shows how ahead of it's time it was, as too me, today, it worked as that cut. It's bascially the same, no voice over and longer scenes, especially the ones with Rachel and Deckard.

I have saved watching the final cut (which I haven't seen yet) as I'm waiting to watch it with my partner (she has never seen it) but from the clips in the documentary the enhancements look amazing!!!
  • ^^ I adore that documentary - it really is everything that anybody interested wants it to be, isn't it. The industrial actian via t-shirts bit was a great insight into just how badly the latter end of shooting was descending into.

My other reason for loving the extras is the audition and costume reels where you get to see other people trying out for roles - always feels very odd to see that after being so used to the finished film.
  • HolyOwl said:

I tried to watch most of the Oscar Nominees from this year. 

Apart from Nebraska and Gravity a total waste of time, for me at least.

So very pleased to see Nebraska getting another mention. Such a wonderful movie - warm but still with some nice spiky moments. June Squibb is so, soooooo sharply funny. The graveyard scene completely destroyed the audience at the screening I saw :D
  • ^ Blade Runner. Totally. Blows away some of the myths of the film.

You get to understand that Ridley was a reasonable guy under a lot of pressure. He suggested the 'voice over' as he felt bad he had a film many people wouldn't get!!.

That Harrison wasn't happy having acting with a novice like Sean (as he was a pro) but in the end tried to help her and said she did a good job under the circumstances. Also after watching the show reals I'm glad they didn't go with the other girl. The fact Sean often looked like a manikin gave her a surreal feel that really made the film, it seem to imply Ridley was briefing her every move. I think only a novice would have given that performance.

That Daryl invented her own look. It wouldn't have been the same without it.

...plus many more. Especially how they managed the effects with just multiple exposure techniques.
  • ^^ I've recommended DD to many friends over the years and most give a fairly predictable "FOUR HOURS....for a documentary extra?!" response.....but most have later tried it and really engaged with it.

It flies by and it feels half its length even though there's barely a dead/wasted minute in its running time.

I assume you've watched this Luke Scott & Ridley Scott short, tatty? Not officially connected but........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcvSTk8M5qY
  • ^ No but will now!

Only think i still intrigued by was Vangelis not wanting music released was never explained though!
  • Under The Skin

Many thoughts, key among which unfortunately was that the ending was really shit, not a great final impression but strangely the rest of the experience was good enough that i didn't care too much. And good it was, not quite what i was expecting but it worked nicely. It was a little disturbing, almost, i was expecting to be disturbed by graphic images the way Carpy put it but there were none for me (i know which sequences you mean though, i think, only 2 spring to mind actually), what disturbed me was just the simple real life observational sequences of people. Don't really know why, i just felt uneasy. It's a hard one to describe but the comparisons to Kubrick are justified, Kubrick-esque would be a pretty accurate description of it. I think the modern day Wendy Carlos-esque score helped in that department too. I wouldn't call it a groundbreaking movie or anything, but it is at least an interesting movie that tries to do things differently and manages to pull it off well enough. Worth checking out if you can.
    Post edited by rewak at 2014-03-24 12:55:17
  • I agree. I found the ending rather frustrating but on the whole it was a mesmerising & haunting experience.

The score was superb. It would be interesting to listen to it on headphones whilst walking along the streets of Glasgow!
  • The score was superb. It would be interesting to listen to it on headphones whilst walking along the streets of Glasgow!

I bought the soundtrack cd and have done just that around Newcastle two days after seeing the film - it's a very odd feeling!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!