Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Bringing Some Perspective: A Reflection
  • 500 Comments sorted by
  • Ming Ho the third person? The join-date is about right. Most posts before my time though.

And was a bit funnier I think maybe. God my phone is posting out of time order.eep.
  • @mirror Can I ask a polite favour, please?

Any chance you could edit your original post and alter the forum area on the right to "Anything & Everything" which is the area for things Goldfrapp related overall?

I'm not asking you to delete it or demote it but simply trying to help with keeping this place in some sort of order. This is justone thread out of a few to be filed in a more relevant place. Thanks.

Respectfully,

Carpy.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • @The_Carpathian

Mirror will show itself willing to move the thread, but not to "Anything & Everything" - that would be too far removed from the purpose of this thread.
    However, it shall now live in the "Music" area, where Mirror thinks it belongs.

Anyway, Mirror did listen to your Holly Herndon recommendation, nothing to do with you regarding it higher than Grimes.
    Honestly, the sounds are a bit too flat and artificial, it sounds like it was made on a computer.

Maybe ironically, Mirror prefers deeper and more organic sounds, electronic but with a lot of depth.
    Difficult to pull that off though, even Aphex Twin sounds flat in places.
    Mirror prefers analogue to digital.
    Post edited by Mirror at 2013-06-27 16:46:19
  • @mirror Can I ask a polite favour, please?

Any chance you could edit your original post and alter the forum area on the right to "Anything & Everything" which is the area for things Goldfrapp related overall?

I'm not asking you to delete it or demote it but simply trying to help with keeping this place in some sort of order. This is justone thread out of a few to be filed in a more relevant place. Thanks.

Respectfully,

Carpy.

Why the politeness Carpy? 
    The Mirror has simply ignored my posts so far. (sure I wasn't that kind, but I never used any swear words) 
    Maybe because he/she/they doesn't/don't acknowledge me as a proper poster from way back?
    Am I too much of a simpleton to him/her/them?
    Like I said before: whatever happened to properly introducing oneselves, have some chit/chat and then have some discussion?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • @Minsku

Nothing wrong with being happy - even Mirror smiles from time to time.

But it does get a bit weird: mindlessly adding smilies to everything, wetting ones underpants over something that is two seconds long, the dreadful "OMG" as Sartori said..

And as for group hugs...well, bad enough in real life, but virtual ones!?

Mirror just adds some perspective to the happy-happy atmosphere on here: not everyone is jumping up and down just because Goldfrapp have made a new album.
    Scepticism is not too misplaced.

• @Dreeke

Mirror did read your posts, but they didn't really require much response.
    You are clearly not out to discuss in any depth with Mirror, and kept slagging it off for a troll,
    therefore Mirror doesn't really interact.

You have its attention now though.

As for your theremin comment: clever, but Lisa added a more clever come back to that.
  • Dreeke said:

Why the politeness Carpy?

Because that is always the main way I prefer to do things. That's not about Mirror or here but in general. Just my way.

@Mirror At least you tried it. We don't agree but that's fine. There's a lesson in there somewhere.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Dreeke said:

Because that is always the main way I prefer to do things. That's not about Mirror or here but in general. Just my way.

@Mirror At least you tried it. We don't agree but that's fine. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

It is like Sartori said, taste is a personal thing.

However, Mirror is questioning whether it is good for everyone to slavishly conform to what seems to be the norm on here. No dissident voice - all those dissident voices have given up and left.
    Mirror thinks that is a real shame: it is quite ironic how everyone preaches "that's your opinion, and that is fine" but actually everyone closes ranks against anyone who thinks a bit differently.

Double standards, anyone?
  • @Mirror

First of all: I only used the troll statement once.
    Mainly because your way of communication does resemble a lot of trolling I've witnessed on other forums in the past.
    In my humble opinion a Mirror will ALWAYS interact. Hence the name: Mirror, that's not selective is it?
    A proper Mirror ALWAYS reflects. Even when it doesn't feel like it.
    Whatever made you think I'm not out to discuss in any depth?
    I might make jokes from time to time, that's just my way of breaking the ice. Ever tried to mirror that?

I'm also the kind of person that hates thinking in 'boxes'. that's my soft spot. That's also why I like Goldfrapp so much.

Let me end this post with a quote from Mulholland Drive:
    Cowboy: No, you're not thinking. You're too busy being a smart-aleck to be thinking. Now, I want you to think and stop being a smart-aleck. Can you try that for me?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • I think that as I've mentioned before its pretty obvious this is a fan forum, we are mostly here because we like Goldfrapp to some degree or another. It's natural to defend things you like from perceived attacks. That's not to say you can't say you don't like this song or that album or whatever, but you do seem to have a massive downer on the band. That's ok, I just don't understand why it seems to bother you so much that we like them that you feel the need to go on about it so much. What's wrong with been happy (at least trying to be) and enjoying some music?
    If Goldfrapp frustrate/annoy/bother you so much why not just ignore them?
    Why try to bring everyone else down?
  • @Dreeke

You are quite right, Mirror does always reflect. That is why they came on here in the first place, to offer some reflection to what everybody else was saying on here.

Mirror just cannot agree with Goldfrapp being the best band out there, no matter which category or even any category they fit in.
    Felt Mountain was the only album that escaped categorization, and they left that direction pretty quickly.
    Everything the band did afterwards, was either copying something that already existed, or badly quoting something.

The band has done nothing but conform to boxes...Mirror does not understand in which way they can be considered diverse? They seem to be running around like a headless chicken, clutching at straws without clear direction.
    A bit of this, a bit of that: does that make them diverse? Or just confused?

• @Ping

Mirror remembers the times when it was different: yes, people were fans, but there have been many who disliked the choices the band made and they were not chastized for it!

When did being a "fan" become being a gullible airhead afraid to voice any criticism?

Like Mirror said before, it does not want to bring anybody down.
    It just tries to be a different voice, not the voice of conformity or confrontation, just a different voice.
    There should always be many different voices - this is natural balance - but there seems to be just one "Goldfrapp is great, and everything they do can't be but wonderful".

Mirror used to be a big fan of the band, it has always stated this very clearly.
    And even now, it still follows the band passively. 

• You're upset because Goldfrapp aren't what you want them to be, I came to the conclusion a while ago after getting annoyed with Seventh Tree to just stop trying to be a perfectionist regarding their music.

Maybe that means I don't care about Goldfrapp's new releases as much but I'm ok with that, it gives me indigestion and headache to expect something that one has no control over.

• Mirror asks everyone this:

what is the point of a discussion board when any form of discussion is met by an almost military force of "Frappers" closing ranks?

How is it anything but narcissistic, self-obsessed and most of all completely pointless?

How can the singer or the band even grow as artists when everything they do is met with unfounded enthusiasm?
    The greatest artists in history were also the most criticized ones: they were the ones who took chances, did something new, took a risk and were often met with heavy derision for being new.
    But eventually everyone came round and saw: hey this is new.
    And so the artist became great. Art is never great by default.
  • Well to me you sound a bit bitter. Like they didn't do what you wanted and now you're throwing your toys out of the pram.
    And if I'm honest I'm finding this thread a bit of a downer intended or not.
    Hey ho... Night night x

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!