Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Bringing Some Perspective: A Reflection
  • 500 Comments sorted by
  • Lisa said:

One of the reasons why I left is...

The thing is, Lisa - 99% of people on the board had/have no idea why you "left". It's really nice to see you posting again, and I hope you understand that most of us here have no agenda... I would suggest that a lot of us just like the music. :)
  • ^ Sorry Lisa, that sounded a bit harsh. If you read between the lines, you might see that I just really miss your input here. Oh, and i slammed Head First something rotten, lol.

• ^  Oh, and i slammed Head First something rotten, lol.

As did I and still feel that way up to a point (my choice). I think that it just depends how it is projected by the individual and it is a shame that a torch wealding mentality must have ensued at some point in the past/present. Like I said in my (little) rant a few pages ago. It is an individuals choice if they like something or not but to chastise someone for their choices is just wrong as nobody know the reasons behind them liking it in the first place and peoples perceptions can change be it the artist or the fanbase.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Oh my God, shut the fuck up Mirror.
    Post edited by Low at 2013-06-26 08:30:52

• [Deleted]

Post edited by Lisa at 2013-07-04 05:13:31
  • It gets to a point where reading Mirror's posts is making me cringe.

• Hi Lisa,

If the attitude was "love it or get the fuck out" this would be a terrible place to post, haven't picked up on those vibes. There's been so much discussion on Head First here. Also nobody can fully make a judgement on an album that hasn't been released yet :)

Maybe I'm so relaxed about this is because I don't really care that mcuh? Which sounds bad but I was so disappointed with Head First, I really am not getting hopes up or over analysing the album, so far though I'm glad that obviously a lot of love and care has gone into the album, which is obvious.

From the snippets I've heard, it sounds better than Rocket and I can't wait to hear the album in full, then be forced off the board as a pariah if I hate it haha!
  • good to see you again Lisa. I think everyone's opinions are welcome, and I agree that it may be seen as 'unhealthy' to slavishly just consume goldfrapp just because its there, at the same time a lot of people do it for very personal reasons. on the flipside there is nothing wrong with a voice of criticism. Alison, by her own admission is her own greatest critic, many artists are. I'm fortunate enough (or perhaps not) to have been dealt enough of a harsh hand in life to take none of this too seriously and that seeing things from all sides is valuable.

a lot of the reaction to mirror is because the style is classic troll, and I'm afraid that the rather cack handed attempt at covert aggression meant I didn't really bother reading any of what they said, because the style was so insubstantial.

everyone is welcome in my eyes, and I would like to respect everyone, that's my online persona anyway...

and considering that 99% of us haven't yet heard the album, I think its fair to reserve judgement till we can all make up our minds as individuals, then we can criticise someone elses work in whichever way satisfies our values
    "its MY favourite song"
  • I was just thinking that....we can only assume what the whole package will be like until we hear it. I hope that becoming a pariah will not be the case as I may well disappear again too.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Mirror isn't as much troll as pompous ass who's talking out of his. Lisa, on the other hand, is a pearl before us swine. She just happens to be wrong about Head First.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

. Lisa, on the other hand, is a pearl before us swine.

She most certainly is...luv her. :)
  • "A mirror image is a reflected duplication of an object that appears identical but reversed." Wikipedia
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • tweety said:

a lot of the reaction to mirror is because the style is classic troll, and I'm afraid that the rather cack handed attempt at covert aggression 

Agree!

It's funny Lisa but I found the complete opposite to have been the case back in 2010, it's funny how we see/experience things differently!   I felt there was so much unnecessary slagging off going on, yeah Head First was a disappointment compared to the rest but we can't all be perfect all the time :P

I felt there were people on there who had a tendency for general nastiness, just for the sake of it & that's why I gave the board a miss for a while.  Welcome Back Lisa  :D
  • tweety said:

Post edited by Una at 2013-06-26 07:29:23
  • Hey there, Lisa.

I'm late to the Polar Posting Party due to silly things like work (yeah, I know!) but just wanted to drop a thought in before I go and make some Miso.

I think, as others have said already, it wasn't the thoughts of the poster that stirred things up so much on this case as the tone/way they were put across. Posting lyrics from songs in the third person maybe wasn't the best way for the to start any sort of constructive dialogue.

In many ways I do understand where you're coming from - mainly because you were good enough to take the time to write your thoughts in a way people could digest and understand. Communication, as ever, is the key on a forum as much as anywhere else. Probably, without tone of voice or body language, even more so. I think that even if people on here don't agree about somehting (and Head First is a prime and perfect example) we've learnt to get along as we talk with others about it rather than talk AT them on the subject. When something like Mirror crops up people tend to react to the attitude rather than the content first and things spiral on from there.

Maybe, subconciously, part of the positive attude to TOU is indeed due to where peoples minds were at after HF. That was quite a shock to the Goldfrapp system for many after what had come before. Half Scissor Sisters pop album and half(ish) Goldfrapp release like two EP's forced together from birth. When that was the previous thing released hearing the trailer for the new stuff was always going to probably get quite a positive welcome - partly out of happiness and partly out of relief.

As to attitude in the past, as others have said it's a shame if some folks including your good self ever felt that. I guess it's always tough somewhere that attracts fans of anything if people have a different view, even if well put across or explained. Just by the nature of people on here/there being fans you're going to get those that react well to constructive complaint and those that fire off a volley in return. It's like a concentrated microcosm of the world magnified. Things get blown out of all proportion then die away to nothing just as fast.

For all the faults of this place (that we maybe can't see as we're in the middle of it) I hope you know many of us well enough to see past that with an open mind for here and the music in future. Maybe it'll be ok, maybe wonderful. Only time will really tell on that one.

Hope this makes some sort of sense - feel free to growl back if you want to or just wave a paw if not.

All the best for now :o)
    Post edited by The_Carpathian at 2013-06-26 07:59:55
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!