Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 896 Comments sorted by
  • I can understand that. You become famous and your life is no longer your own. However, Chris Wolstenholne, the bass player in Muse is a good example of how it can be done. Family man with several kids and yet, away from the flame of Muse, he keeps himself to himself and seems to be largely left alone. Contrast this with Adam Clayton, the bass player from U2, who lives his life in the public eye and hangs around with supermodels, and the press are hanging out of the trees, I would assume making life a pain. Bi-Polar approach to the same conundrum.
    I think Goldfrapp could take a little more exposure without rocking the boat. Anyway: all we want is some more communication with us, the fans. We are not expecting an invite to dinner, just some things once in a while to ease the addiction.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

• Alison's tweet earlier today - what do you you lot think?

28/07/2014 07:35<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

'Giving up doesn't always mean your weak; sometimes it means you're strong enough to let go." - Unknown

Post edited by Appy61 at 2014-07-28 09:44:06
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • Contrast this with Adam Clayton, the bass player from U2, who lives his life in the public eye and hangs around with supermodels, and the press are hanging out of the trees, I would assume making life a pain.

I get a kick out of hearing that certain celebrities are so popular, as I wouldn't know this one from my auntie's anus if I ran into him in public. Nor would I recognize his name in print. Mind, I certainly understand what U2 is.

I think Goldfrapp could take a little more exposure without rocking the boat. Anyway: all we want is some more communication with us, the fans. We are not expecting an invite to dinner, just some things once in a while to ease the addiction.

You might take into account that it is their very personalities, their inhibitions, their habits of behavior that make Goldfrapp the phenomenon that we adore. Otherwise, we might have just another Madonna or Britney Spears.

* I'm not unsympathetic to the circumstances. I'd be devastated in your situation; though, it would probably manifest somewhat differently. I just don't think that it's Goldfrapp or the management that should be the focus of your ire. I'm, under the impression that they draw just enough revenue to live in relative comfort, to continue making music at their leisure, and to explore the world in ways that--although they may seem extravagant to some of us--inspire and evoke more of the art we love. I doubt that sinking their excess resources into promotion would make them popular enough to satisfy our need to see, hear, experience Goldfrapp on a grander scale. Though I don't advocate blame, if you must blame someone, blame the general population for having bland taste and absent imagination.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-07-28 11:34:59
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • They probably just read on here that you were coming, then simply cancelled.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • PoGu! As a member of the Official Goldfrapp Conspiracy Brigade, I must object to your disclosing our clandestine organization's confidential information in this very public forum. One more slip-up like this and you'll be up for a month's exile preceded by a good cyber-lashing.
  • iuventus said:

...preceded by a good cyber-lashing.

And that is not meant as an enticement.
  • Hmmm, I see you're using reverse psychology on me. You play the game well my friend. I think I prefer tongue to cyber anyway.
    U R I E L
  • Sounds more like perverse psychology to me.
  • What can I say? (No, really..what can I say?) :P
    U R I E L
  • The Tweet Appy61 re-posted...

It should be "you're weak" not "your weak".  Tsk!  Alison goes down a notch or two in my estimation.
  • If I recall your other posts, Ponygurl, you're capable of saying a great deal.
  • Pet said:

The Tweet Appy61 re-posted...

It should be "you're weak" not "your weak".  Tsk!  Alison goes down a notch or two in my estimation.

Alison's never been able to spell. I'm sure I read somewhere she's dyslexic. Anyhow wasn't it mark twain who said "I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way" ;)
  • I've no idea whether Mark Twain said that, nor (to be honest) do I care.  The point is that "your" (meaning "relating to you") and "you're" (meaning "you are") mean quite different things and shouldn't be confused.  This is more to do with confusing homonyms than (as such) to do with spelling.
  • Aaaaaarrrggghhhh!!! I just wasted one hour and a half trying to find the better, cheapest and easiest way to go to Brittany, here in France. I wanted to go visit a friend who's living there and I was wwaitingfor her answer to know what days she'd be free. She never answered and now the train tickets are more expensive. What a surprise. 
    So I'm thinking that if going to any other near place is going to be as expensive as my former option, maybe I should choose a different destination.
    Gosh! I should've bought those tickets when I could! If my friend wasn't going to be there, I would try to have a nice trip.This is the damn last time I wait for an answer like this.

So the question now is: Should I try going somewhere else? Any suggestions?
    Post edited by caro at 2014-07-28 18:12:34
  • Appy61 said:

So the question is - am I expecting too much in demanding an explanation as to why they've (Goldfrapp) cancelled the gig in Copenhagen? 

I've asked Alison a number of times on Twatter with no response although she deems it appropriate to comment on a picture of stuffed cats! As UT has said it's not the money but the opportunity cost. This is particularly grating as the we (the Appy's) can't make the Greenwich gig and as far as we can see there aren't any further gigs on the horizon. To be cynical - is this attitude just another on the list along with the lack of live DVD's, limited merchandising etc etc. I would hope that they are not treating us with contempt as I would consider this to be rather rude! 

A number of people have attempted to placate me on the subject say such things as they must have a valid reason and they would do this on a whim and I don't disagree with this concept it just would be nice to know. 

I've also asked the venue to no avail - all they confirm is that the gig is cancelled. I am suspicious that this revolves around ticket sales which would be outrageous.

Any comments from the Moderator team regarding this thread?

@DeerModerator
    @Admin

What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!