Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 896 Comments sorted by
  • Just watching the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth games, particularly the bit about the Queen's baton traveling around the earth and to the 71 nations and territories that will be competing in the games. Everyone seemed to be so genuinely happy to welcome the baton, and displayed such a warm, heartfelt affection towards each other, it makes it hard to reconcile all the evil that seems to pervade the world at all other times.
    Just what is wrong with all the sick fuck's out there?
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • So the question is - am I expecting too much in demanding an explanation as to why they've (Goldfrapp) cancelled the gig in Copenhagen? 

I've asked Alison a number of times on Twatter with no response although she deems it appropriate to comment on a picture of stuffed cats! As UT has said it's not the money but the opportunity cost. This is particularly grating as the we (the Appy's) can't make the Greenwich gig and as far as we can see there aren't any further gigs on the horizon. To be cynical - is this attitude just another on the list along with the lack of live DVD's, limited merchandising etc etc. I would hope that they are not treating us with contempt as I would consider this to be rather rude! 

A number of people have attempted to placate me on the subject say such things as they must have a valid reason and they would do this on a whim and I don't disagree with this concept it just would be nice to know. 

I've also asked the venue to no avail - all they confirm is that the gig is cancelled. I am suspicious that this revolves around ticket sales which would be outrageous.

Post edited by Appy61 at 2014-07-27 13:20:06
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • I dunno. Sounds about as useful as trying to make a lover explain why he or she no longer wants you. Even when you get the explanation--truthful or not--it's difficult to find satisfaction.

I find that naps cure more than answers.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • When cancelling a gig, it's customary to provide an explanation.  It seems to me rude not to do so (or to delay doing so for longer than is necessary).  The explanation wouldn't help anyone, exactly, but, if accompanied by an apology, might help to relieve ticket holders' feelings.
  • Mind, "we're sorry, but we can't be arsed" or "we're sorry, but we didn't sell enough tickets" would further annoy ticket holders.
  • As would a lie like "we're sorry, but the dog ate our sheet music".
  • eh.
  • Thanks Pet - I know what you mean and I guess that the majority of punters in DK have just gained there Thursday evening back. I guess I'm smarting as a dedicated fan going out of our way to support them. If they said it was tickets sales at least we would know - this was an expensive gig in comparison and perhaps they may learn a lesson!? We could even accept the "we're sorry, but the dog ate our sheet music" had they cancelled the Stockholm gig the day after!!

I like the analogy Iuv - I'm hoping that Goldfrapp still want us!
  • Appy61 said:

I like the analogy Iuv - I'm hoping that Goldfrapp still want us!

I'd be satisfied if they just put out every so often.
  • Just discussed this Mano e Mano with Appy. My issue is, the next time Goldfrapp have a concert on mainland Europe, or the USA ( we set a holiday up in the e good ol U S of A to see Muse in New York) do we just say 'hey, let's go to .... To see Goldfrapp' or are we left with the thought 'but will they turn up this time'?
    Shame if it starts to come to that.
    I agree with Appy and Pet, some short explanation will buy a skip load of goodwill.
  • Had a response from the venue

Dear Keith

The Band explains that the concert has been cancelled due to circumstances out of their control. I don´t know the exact reason why the show has been cancelled, I am sorry.

I hope you will have a nice stay in Copenhagen – despite the unfortunate situation.

Kind regards

<image001.png>

Tanja Hegelund Larsen
    Servicemedarbejder, CBC (CallCenter, Booking, Comments)

T  +45 33151001 
    tahl@TIVOLI.DK  

Post edited by Appy61 at 2014-07-27 14:29:43
  • I can't read that.  What does it say?  Oh -- I suppose it's probably in Danish, so it wouldn't mean much to me anyway.
  • I knew that cancellation was a possibility last September in NYC; so, I planned ahead for a vacation during which I could take in the sites and visit old friends.
  • Do we know that the concert is still on the following day in Stockholm? If that is still on, then the fact Lyon went ahead and Stockholm going ahead really does suggest it is not a personnel reason, more confirmation that it is something contractural between band and venue and that is most likely, number of ticket sales.
    Until confirmed otherwise, this has to be the ongoing assumption logically.
    By the way, I was reminded we have done concert trips to New York twice, once to see Muse at Madison Square Garden and once to see them in support of some unknown band called U2 at the Giants Stadium as part of the 360° tour. So we do go out of our way to support the bands we like but those relationships are built on mutual respect. If you think a band are taking you for granted, you get a bit pissy !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-07-27 15:20:19
  • If you think a band are taking you for granted, you get a bit pissy !

No, I don't.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!