Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 896 Comments sorted by
  •  I nominated Piers Morgan to do a Golden Icebucket Challenge but no reply yet . 
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • It seems to be a common thread that people couldn't give, how would you say Sartori, a flying fuck about wasting water - you really don't understand how privilaged you all are. I recall seeing something some time ago in the media - a comment from a small African boy, paraphrased "so you westerners piss and shit in your drinking water?" worth thinking about that (unless you couldn't give a flying fuck!)
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • As strange as it may sound, a million gallons is a mere drop in the bucket, if that. Besides, it doesn't disappear into another dimension once dropped over one's head. This is not the sort of water usage that leads to a shortage. Nor would conserving water in the US contribute to providing for those in Africa. In fact, Africa's water shortage is, in great part, due to oppressive, abusive government. But that's another discussion. The argument of wasting water has been a rebuttal rather than the original complaint.

The gimmick is like any gala event or fundraising promotion. It's meant to draw attention to an issue and draw like-minded people together to celebrate championing a cause. Shall we cancel the Komen Run for the Cure, the MD Telethon, etc., all of which cost millions in promotion alone? More water is likely used in transportation--and the ink&paper promotional products!--for those events than in a million buckets of iced water.

I, myself, am more of the mind to donate directly to an organization; though, I must admit that I'm not aware of many diseases, injustices, etc. ALS has not been at the forefront of the media for some time; nor has it been a priority for gift-givers of late. Why not let them have their moment in the spotlight? Besides, unlike many other organizations, they're not asking us to purchase a useless trinket or attend a ridiculously overpriced dinner with Charo as the entertainment (Sorry, I do admire her guitar-playing skills.). It's costing nothing if you don't count all the negativity surrounding it.

I, too, get easily saturated with the presence of celebrity. Why not save that criticism for moments of gratuitous attention-seeking rather than their participation in, hence contribution to, a cause some might consider worthy?

Or am I a jackass for seeing things from a different perspective? ;)
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-08-28 20:03:17
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Interesting perspective Iuv. Whilst I take your point regarding cyclical water regeneration It takes a lot of energy to purify a million gallons of water. But hey your politicians and industrialist have little interest in energy conservation, reduction in pollution and carbon emissions or signing international agreements such as Kyoto.
  • Attacking US politicians won't shame me. I tend to vote for Green candidates or Democrats who lie about being concerned with the environment. We're kinda stuck here with a one...I mean two-party system. Plus, within the confines of health regulations, the stifling heat, and my landlord's resources, I do my part to conserve water and energy. After all, it all starts at home, doesn't it?
  • iuventus said:

Attacking US politicians won't shame me. I tend to vote for Green candidates or Democrats who lie about being concerned with the environment. We're kinda stuck here with a one...I mean two-party system. Plus, within the confines of health regulations, the stifling heat, and my landlord's resources, I do my part to conserve water and energy. After all, it all starts at home, doesn't it?

It does. We have a 3000 litre underground rainwater tank and pump system. It will never pay back what it cost but it does feel good when you water the garden/wash the car to know you are using water that you have collected. (Just waiting for a drought order and hosepipe ban and some water board Nazi pitching up to slag me off for using the hose. He's in for a rainwater enema !)
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-08-28 15:56:28
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Speaking of the drought, it's ironic that alot of the bottled water sold in US is sourced from California. I could go on, but I won't.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • CA needs an avenue for exploiting the planet, too, PoGu. I mean, have a heart, why don't you? :x
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-08-28 16:39:24
  • iuventus said:

I do my part to conserve water and energy. After all, it all starts at home, doesn't it?

Glad to hear it Iuv - we should never judge a nation by it's politicians (or celebrities for that matter)
  • A nation fine; just not its residents.
  • And speaking of a nation's celebrities, it was your own darling Cumberbatch whose icebucket challenge cost something like five precious gallons of agua pura.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-08-28 16:54:40
  • Celebrities what can you say? Respect to Mat Damon who used dirty water.

Matt Damon, an advocate for clean water worldwide, wasn't going to be wasteful when he stepped up to respond to the ice-bucket challenge. 
    Noting the ongoing drought in California and the global challenges of clean water, Damon went not to a garden hose or faucet but straight to the toilet to douse himself for ALS research, explaining that such water in Western nations is typically cleaner than drinking water in developing countries. 
    Though his choice might gross out some, Damon said adequate sanitation is still a problem for 2.4 billion people.
  • Come on! That toilet was probably bleached and flushed twenty times before he even considered touching its contents to his thrice washed locks. Besides, toilet water is the same sanitized water that comes from the drinking tap. Big phony! Or was that your point?

He probably sent his personal assistant in a steam-powered automobile to grab a porcelain bowl fresh off the factory line. "And now hose me down to make me look really wet. Someone hold my bottle of Dasani. Take three!"
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-08-28 17:23:45
  • Cynical but true, probably!
  • Sorry, what? I was daydreaming about Matt Damon's koi pond and jacuzzi.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!