Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 896 Comments sorted by
  • I've managed to avoid knowing who Matt Damon is -- likewise the other person someone mentioned (Cummerbund, or something like that, I can't be bothered to look through previous posts to find the name).  Does that make me the winner?  Also, I still don't understand what the ice bucket challenge is about: in what way it enriches charities.
  • Bloody forum editing sorcery
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-08-29 11:33:51
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Sartori said:

It seems to be a common thread that people couldn't give, how would you say Sartori, a flying fuck about wasting water - you really don't understand how privilaged you all are. I recall seeing something some time ago in the media - a comment from a small African boy, paraphrased "so you westerners piss and shit in your drinking water?" worth thinking about that (unless you couldn't give a flying fuck!)

This isn`t the arena to discuss about the issues in Africa , AIDs , wars and in this instance the use of the finite amount of water from aquifiers available , its use in (foreign funded) digging for diamonds (etc) . While companies around the world use their natural resources to make bigger and better guns , mobile phones , speed cameras and plastic crap etc but don`t invest in solving the worlds woes ? (an unanswerable rhetorical point other than saying "Capitalism" and shrugging shoulders) ....  

I`ll ignore being talked down to as if I`m some water wasting poppinjay , Iuv makes the point below your post about it being a piss in the ocean . I don`t wear a hair shirt for the ills and woes of the world , a hair shirt and a hippie heart compass don`t actually steer one to do anything , other than attempting to be standing on the higher moral ground if we live in this country .
     I do care about the Worlds issues and (locally) give to charity (Ty Hafan & Cancer Research if you wish to examine my Charity credentials) but there`s a difference between caring/giving and running around in a hair shirt singing "We are the World" from every street corner , drinking your own piss , shouting "Sha-moh mother fucking water wasting mother fuckers heee-heeeeh" . 

I`m off to turn on all my taps and forcibly ice water board bucket all hippies . I`m sure parts of this make no sense (of that I am uncaring) , I`m only here for the bants , don`t be offended  ;)

Post edited by Sartori at 2014-08-29 11:50:37
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • :x
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Sard, if you say you turned off the water while brushing your teeth this morning, you'll get a pat on the back.
  • As this is the raaaaaaaantttttt!!! thread I is see no reason to censor the discussion. I'm by no means one of the hair shirt eco warriors and to dismiss 5m gallons of water as a "piss in the ocean" is rather nieve and stupid. But hey you've a right to your opinion but you'd be wrong. You seem to have, conveniently skewed away from the original point about knobheads pouring water over themselves for that all important 15 minutes - I too have reasonable charity credentials but don't feel I need broadcast it on social media. I'm not bothered if you have a social conscience or not but highlighting water wastage is just as valid as ALS or MND.
    Post edited by Appy61 at 2014-08-30 12:49:12
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • I see some muppets are now doing a rubble bucket challenge. Might knock some sense into them.
  • KatRobin said:

I see some muppets are now doing a rubble bucket challenge. Might knock some sense into them.

You do wonder just how far this type of thing can go. Just how ridiculous could a challenge be, on the grounds of 'charity' or 'entertainment' (or self promotion)? I mean, how about a challenge where fading or 3rd rate 'celebrities' are asked to come on a TV program and compete with each other to become a gymnast and the public vote to keep the most crap one in each week because they enjoy watching someone make an arse of themselves, or how about high board diving or....
    On second thoughts, all the stoopid ideas seem to have already been done (Ice Dancing? .. what?...damn!)
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I did hear the next craze is to raise awareness for Irritable Bowel Syndrome so I shall gladly queue up to chuck buckets of shit at people if that's what they so wish 8-|
    Post edited by Hells_Bells at 2014-08-30 05:52:28
  • Appy61 said:

As this is the raaaaaaaantttttt!!! thread I is see no reason to censor the discussion. I'm by no means one of the hair shirt eco warriors and to dismiss 5m gallons of water as a "piss in the ocean" is rather nieve and stupid. But hey you've a right to your opinion but you'd be wrong. You seem to have, conveniently skewed away from the original point about knobheads pouring water over themselves for that all important 15 minutes - I too have reasonable charity credentials but don't feel I need broadcast it on social media. I'm not bothered if you have a social conscience or not but highlighting water wastage is just as valid as ALS or MND.

My point about 'not the place' to discuss was to point out that the subject matter is wider and broader than a simple discussion on it . I'd already made my opinion known about people who pour water over themselves (who am I to judge) , my post was to reply to your patronising barb about water usage .

I work in a factory and in charge of water (river and towns water) inlets , treatment and discharges and fully aware of how much rainwater we incidentally treat from our catchment systems and put back into the system , 5 million gallons is fuck all .

Also , when you put all of those gallons in context , if you have internet and able to post to YT , it's a fair chance water isn't an issue , due to drought not really being an issue where you live - the bombshell in our whole discussion is fracking and how much water that uses , that makes ice bucket seem like not even half a piss in the ocean . Context .

In terms of "concern" per se , on a local scale , running out of power & food is a bigger issue than water availability will be in this country .

Post edited by Sartori at 2014-08-30 19:50:02
  • iuventus said:

Sard, if you say you turned off the water while brushing your teeth this morning, you'll get a pat on the back.

Yo babes , yes , I splash the toothbrush and turn off the tap due to OCD rather than being green , until I need to rinse my facehole .
  • Sard, the debate isn't even about water. Nor did that after-the-fact argument originate here. That was merely an attempt to quantify an attack on those who participated in an occasion that some viewed as ridiculous--and celebrity in particular. People just hate to see others having fun.

Also, if it had been done in the name of starving African children or the babies bombed in Gaza--you know, something that gave the participants a feeling that they were doing something truly noble--the reaction would have likely been quite different.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-08-30 19:39:21
  • Sartori said:

Yo babes , yes , I splash the toothbrush and turn off the tap due to OCD rather than being green , until I need to rinse my facehole .

In that case, you've earned a pat on the back...

...end.

Post edited by iuventus at 2014-08-30 19:44:32
  • iuventus said:

Sard, the debate isn't even about water. People just hate to see others having fun.

Also, if it had been done in the name of starving African children or the babies bombed in Gaza--you know, something that gave the participants a feeling that they were doing something truly noble--the reaction would have likely been quite different.

I know but afterwards it was implied that I was a water wasting popinjay in the way that discussions do spread . My reply about the participants was hidden amongst the twenty layers of sardonica ;)
    I answered because it reminded me of the first time you and I had a discussion over on the old forum and I felt um.. nostalgic (not quite the right word).

Currently I have steam over Simon Cowell on my TV again .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-08-30 20:06:51
  • XFactor Cluedo - it was Cheryl in the toilet with her fists , er....pet .

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!