Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 896 Comments sorted by
  • iuventus said:

If you think a band are taking you for granted, you get a bit pissy !

No, I don't.

Any band that does not respect its fans, does not deserve those fans. When you cease to respect your customers, you may as well pack up your business and quit !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I agree with you, Urban Tribesman.  If a band doesn't respect its fans, it doesn't deserve the fans' loyalty.

As a matter of fact, I didn't book to see Goldfrapp in Greenwich because I thought the ticket prices were taking the piss.  Another aspect of the same thing, maybe.
  • Pet said:

I>As a matter of fact, I didn't book to see Goldfrapp in Greenwich because I thought the ticket prices were taking the piss.  Another aspect of the same thing, maybe.

I've paid a lot more Pet. U2 tickets in particular are always extortionate. That's why Bono can go about and spout political bollocks most of the time.
    That is not what pisses me off the most though about concerts. It is people that buy multiple tickets for a gig, and then sell them on fan resale sites. The fact that there are fan resale sites dedicated to this shabby practices is bad enough. It is very bad form to buy tickets for a gig that you have no intention of going to, so that you can resell them on to fans for exorbitant sums who could not buy face value tickets in the first place because you bought them all you parasite ! Did see this spectacularly fail for someone I work with once. He wanted to go and see Michael Jackson on the This is It tour, so thought it would be a great idea to buy 8 tickets; two of which he wanted to keep himself and the other 6 he planned to sell at £500 each and make a fat profit (rubbed hands and made a noise like 'guffaw' at this point). We all know how that sorry tale ended so perhaps there is a God after all. ( makes a noise like 'guffaw') if there is, I am sure Michael is there teaching him how to moonwalk.
  • I agree that it's inexcusable to buy tickets to sell them on.  I also think it's inexcusable to buy tickets from such people.  Obviously, if people refused to buy such tickets, the trade in them would cease.
  • I've paid £61.50 to see Kylie in September, which is about the maximum I've ever paid for a gig ticket.  But Kylie always puts on a great show, easily worth £61.50.
  • I think ticket prices in general have gone up over the last few years, it's been a long time since I got into a gig for £2, the first time I went to reading festival I drove down that day and paid £20 on the gate.
    I don't think the ticket prices are necessarily dictated by the band themselves, the venue will surely be playing a big part in costing the tickets. (All the bloody fees you pay on top of the ticket price piss me off.) in the case of the Greenwich gig Goldfrapp are the cheapest ticket of the weekend, I think the price is reflecting the venue/promoters desire to make it appear like a prestige event.

Also... Totally agree that if people didn't buy the touted tickets the trade would collapse, but they're preying on people's passions aren't they? Bastards.
  • It's a long time since I got into a gig for £2, but there are still reasonably priced gigs.  I haven't been going to many this year, but I think that I went to a couple of £5 gigs last year.

And, yes, I think Greenwich is intended as a prestige event -- something that made be think "fuck that!"  I don't see myself as a prestige person.

I think fees probably piss off everybody who doesn't have more money than sense.  My Kylie ticket is a case in point.  The price printed on the ticket is £50 + £1 (what does that mean, apart from £51?).  With some difficulty (by looking at emails from about when I bought the ticket) I find that I actually paid £61.50 to Ticketmaster.  So there were fees of more than £10.  A little of that was for sending the ticket to me by first class post.  But what's the rest of it for?
  • ^ i've paid about £3 in fees before for the privilege of printing my own ticket, that really gets my goat. 
  • ping said:

I think ticket prices in general have gone up over the last few years, it's been a long time since I got into a gig for £2, the first time I went to reading festival I drove down that day and paid £20 on the gate. I don't think the ticket prices are necessarily dictated by the band themselves, the venue will surely be playing a big part in costing the tickets. (All the bloody fees you pay on top of the ticket price piss me off.) in the case of the Greenwich gig Goldfrapp are the cheapest ticket of the weekend, I think the price is reflecting the venue/promoters desire to make it appear like a prestige event. Also... Totally agree that if people didn't buy the touted tickets the trade would collapse, but they're preying on people's passions aren't they? Bastards.

That first Black Sabbath gig I went to in 1976 was £2, as was the AC/DC gig a year later. i still have these ticket stubs ! Another little obsession of mine. America is a bit of a pain I have found if you are buying from abroad. Both of the Muse/U2 gigs we had to buy through fan resale sites. Have to say both went without a hitch but why could I not buy them from the venue or through someone like Ticketmaster? Muse and U2 are always good at presales though. I am signed up with both their website/fan sites. Some interesting comparrisons back to the way Goldfrapp do this. Both of the others really support their fans heavily. U2 produce unique discs and downloads that are only available to fans who are signed up. Their way of keeping you locked in and interested. And don't get me started on how much better their merchandising is. Very professional !
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2014-07-28 07:13:46
  • ^ i think the resources that muse and U2 have might be a bit more substantial than what goldfrapp have. someone has to agree to make the investments upfront to produce merchandise, limited editions etc. i don't think the lack of them is indicative that 'goldfrapp' don't care or are been disrespectful to fans, i just think they're skint.

the america-ticket buying thing does sound like a pain yes, i've not been to a gig there. I've been to several gigs in different european countries and to music events in africa, the ticket buying has never been a problem.

Post edited by Appy61 at 2014-07-28 08:04:20
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • I know that U2 in particular have far more resources than Goldfrapp and I was not suggesting that this was indicative of a lack of respect from the band. However, I do think that the management are very backward at supporting the band and driving the 'business' that is Goldfrapp forward. They could have a better rapport with us, the fans, as we are the willing foot soldiers who promote this on their behalf when we can. This is what I notice with the other two bands; their management is more adept at including the fan base. We have the forum; which is great and shows some commitment, but it could be so much more inclusive. I've been bothering 'pop' stars now for 40 years and have always noticed in the past that the management, and the artiste, realise the power and potential of a well engaged and committed fan base.
    Just engage with us a bit more. We are unlikely to bite and will probably say nice things (well mostly nice things anyway).
    Proud to be a Goldfrapp fan and just want to be able to express it in a more productive way.
  • Carpy said on another thread in relation to having certain expectations from goldfrapp 'cross your fingers but don't hold your breath', this is definitely what i have learnt to do! 
  • It could be so different with just a little extra engagement. Sometimes, you just need to feed the fire and introduce a little oxygen...
  • ^ i know. i was disappointed with the lack of promotion over TOU particuarly. but i get the feeling its kinda how they want it? do you get what i mean? like i don't think fame, or large sales or similar indicators of success are their motivation. i remember reading an interview with A where she said she really struggled with the level of recognition she got around supernature era, and they weren't that famous then.  

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!