Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 896 Comments sorted by
  • What?
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • In case this was your "what?"  ...On rates of incarceration see here:

To be fair to the USA, the Seychelles has the same lamentably high rate of locking up its citizens.  There are also a few countries (very few) for which no statistics are available (they're coloured grey on the map).  These include Somalia which doesn't really have a government to lock people up.
  • Still don't know how you got here from birth control coverage. However, more frightening than overall incarceration rates in the US are the incarceration rates of minorities, particularly those of African origin.
  • Pet said:

New Jersey, in fact, covered itself in glory 

Double Entendre of the Day .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-07-02 08:52:57
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • NJ does somewhat dangle from the US's mid region.
  • Still don't know how you got here from birth control coverage. However, more frightening than overall incarceration rates in the US are the incarceration rates of minorities, particularly those of African origin.

My thought was that, if you're looking for enlightened public policies, you'd be more likely to find them in a country that's less fond of spanking its children and locking up its ethnic minorities.  This link:

addresses the question of incarcerating ethnic minorities.  (It also mentions that the USA locks up more women than is the global norm -- especially black women.)

In the UK, contraception of the sorts to which your links refer is the responsibility of the National Health Service -- i.e. a central government agency, so that people's private enterprise employers have no say in the policy.
  • S-t-r-e-e-e-e-e-t-c-h!
  • iuventus said:

S-t-r-e-e-e-e-e-t-c-h!

(Ohhhh, now I'm quoting you down...whatcha gonna do?!)
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-07-03 15:04:23
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Come on Iuv, this has been happening for years....since WWII. It's laughable really, Man trying to play God. Changing the natural course of Genetic Evolution...hmm, I wonder if the modified plants can withstand drought? They probably haven't thought about that though...the reasons behind evolution and survival.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Ponygurl said:

Come on Iuv, this has been happening for years....since WWII. It's laughable really, Man trying to play God. Changing the natural course of Genetic Evolution...hmm, I wonder if the modified plants can withstand drought? They probably haven't thought about that though...the reasons behind evolution and survival.

I shall not come on. GMOs, themselves, are only part of Monsanto's problem; Monsanto is only a miniscule part of Clinton's problem. She's been a part of shady deals and unethical behaviors from the beginning. Yes, I know they're all crooks; that's why we hire politicians (to sanction, plan, and execute all our crimes). Hers are simply an affront to the people she claims to represent: USA's middle and working class people, as well as liberally minded people everywhere. Sad thing is that I voted for her without knowing who she was, partly because she was a Democrat and a woman, but mostly because I was afraid that our spiritually misinformed and backwards country would vote for a pink-skinned woman long before they would vote for a brown-skinned man. Boy am I glad I was wrong.

The phrase 'playing god' means nothing to me, as I truly don't believe in any type of an external, superior divine being. This is about doing and promoting things that are known to cause harm to others; doing so because it will make a few CEOs, politicians, and their friends exceedingly wealthy; and laughing at the ignorant masses as they suffer the consequences without the means to remedy their ailments.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-07-15 02:09:49
  • iuventus said:

Ponygurl said:

The phrase 'playing god' means nothing to me, as I truly don't believe in any type of an external, superior divine being. 

I don't think that you need to believe in a divine being for the phrase 'playing god' to mean something to you.  You do need to understand (roughly) what is meant by 'god'.  In this context, you also need to perceive (whether or not you agree with it) the argument that (a) we don't fully understand nature, and (b) that messing with things we don't understand is fraught with peril.

Similarly, if someone (actually or seemingly) gives things away and is described as "playing Santa Claus", this will mean something to you, although (I assume) you don't believe that a fat man dressed in red descends chimneys on the night of 24th/25th December.
  • The difference is that no-one really believes in Santa Claus, but too many people do believe in some sort of ruling deity. I've spoken with people who believe that science is an affront to an actual divine character, and that by manipulating their god's world, we are damning ourselves to eternal suffering. I understand what you're saying, but, as it perpetuates the culture of guilt, I try to refrain from using phrases with roots in threats to my spiritual happiness, health, or well being. That's my prerogative.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-07-15 05:52:01

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!