Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
ADMIN PLEASE NOTE: Forum issues
  • 621 Comments sorted by
  • Seriously let's just scrap this one and start again.
  • Is is strange that in about the last 2 weeks when people have been reporting all this new spam, I've seen nothing?

• During UK daytime, I think me or Carpy have been zapping any spam within a maximum of about 3 hours. Overnight (UK), it might remain for about 10hours max.

I've been logged on a lot since 1st Sept so daytime spamposts will usually get deleted within minutes.

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-09-17 12:52:01
  • i'm seeing [Deleted User] all over the board. were those spam posts? also, i take it this means the board now has an account deletion function, which IIRC it didn't before, so, that's good
  • We've been able to delete users (in addition to posts/threads) for a couple weeks now.

Today's attack was different in that the spambots posted onto the end of existing discussions/threads. When I deleted the spambot, it left the [deleted user] thing that we are seeing on a lot of thread-headings. That should disappear when someone normal posts to that thread.

• okey dokey! i figured that was the case, thanks for clarifying.
  • That should disappear when someone normal posts to that thread.

"Normal" , good luck finding them ;)
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • My counts got stuck again. Trivial I know but I'm sad! :-S

Tell a lie, it's working again :)
    Post edited by Hells_Bells at 2013-09-17 18:40:59
  • Post counts seem to increment in fits and starts! Pathetic, but not catastrophic.
  • Hey HJ,
    Just curious, who is/was/ this [Deleted User] person i keep seeing?
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Oh, it wasn't one user/spambot, but several. They were directed to post to existing threads rather than newly-created ones. The [deleted user] labels are just remnants of this action, and there was quite a lot of it today!
  • Thanks for diving in, HJ - was absolutely flat-out at work all day yesterday and then distracted in the evening.

Have killed off another few this morning for breakfast. Spam never tastes good this time of day.

As mentioned earlier, drop me a message and we'll hvae a chat about upping for security. Might now be the time!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Oh thanks for killing the spam! I thought i had missed some new drama.
    8-|
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Right - it's done.

The registration anti-spam measures have been kicked up a level and tested.

In theory (yeah, yeah, I know!) no new spam bots should be able to join and post without us stopping them first.

There may be dormant ones in the system but if they rear their heads and get chomped they can't then get back in again.

We're finding our feet on this step but it should be better and cut down the silliness.

Should. Might. Could.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!