Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
The "Clay" Appreciation Thread
  • 212 Comments sorted by
  • I love Clay and Strangers!  umm.. how do i find out what Stranger is about?  Apparently Clay was about a brief War romance between 2 soldiers? 
    Post edited by Boltfinger at 2013-07-30 02:57:39
  • I love Clay and Strangers!  umm.. how do i find out what Stranger is about?  Apparently Clay was about a brief War romance between 2 soldiers? 

During both nights in Manchester Alison divulged different things about each track.  I reckon that The_Carpathian would have the best memory to remember which quote went with which.

Apparently Alvar was influenced by Iceland, there is a song about a murderer, one about someone who finds their partner in bed with someone they shouldn't and so on.  The banter and descriptions were brilliant but I still don't know which song has which name (apart from a few obvious ones).

If anyone can help I'd like to know which track has the lyrics "run, you better run, you better run for your life".
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • ^ I think that's Jo. But I could be wrong...
  • Thanks ping.  Once I have confirmation I might amend my "dream" concert setlist on the other thread.  :)
    Though we may deserve it, it will be worth it.
  • Stranger said:

Based on the live video can you all help me complete the lyrics for Clay?

Words sing
    Out into the wind
    Their meaning
    Taken By Time

Your deep sea eyes
    Ancient Stars

We wanted
    Only to love
    I will not find you again
    Fate Or Chance (?)

A beauty 
    in uncertainty
    We fall down
    On grey wet sand
    Our shadows reframe
    Memories

We were only too love (?)
    Only to long (?)
    And breathe again (?)
    You (?)
    (?)
    (?)
    (?)

Oh.
    Yellow angry waves of grass
    The iron sky
    Turning in the looking glass

Your deep sea eyes
    Ancient Stars

You were wonderful life
    My only love
    Sleep Well
    Goonight

This is what I'm hearing from the um....album version.... hard to make out when she slurs the words but....

CLAY

Words sing out into the wind,
    Their meaning taken by time.

Your deep sea eyes,
    Ancient stars.

We wanted only to love.
    How will I find you again?
    Fate or chance

A beauty
    In uncertainty
    We fall down
    On grey white sand. (grey white clouds in Drew)

Our shadows refrain
    Memories

We want
    Only to live
    Only to love
    And breath in again (I'm breathing again?)
    You're wine
    raising the night
    Longing our love
    and dreams of mine

Ooh,
    Yellow angry waves of grass
    The iron sky
    Turning in the looking glass

Your deep sea eyes
    Ancient stars

You were wonderful life
    My only love
    Sleep well
    Goodnight

I also noticed Alison sang the last sections of Drew different betwen the live (Albert Hall) and album version. 

Post edited by Boltfinger at 2013-07-30 21:13:54
  • (I thought it was reframe)
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • God I want the official version so badly... I was nearly in tears when I heard it live....
  • (I am always in tears when I try to explain to people what the story is and how Alison transformed that into the core universal but so petically translated lyrics she did. That is one good piece of songwriting. Flawless, honest, open and REAL. You can feel her in the words and her emotions in her translation of that letter into her song. It's so touching on so many levels to me. I think it's easily the best song they ever did.
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria

• Stranger said:

(I thought it was reframe)

Maybe it is!  I hope they release official printed lyrics in the album release :)
  • I keep hearing: "we fought them on grey wet sand". 

Maybe it's just me!  :))
  • ficchi said:

I keep hearing: "we fought them on grey wet sand". 

Maybe it's just me!  :))

Nope, I hear that too. Would also make a lot more sense when you think about it.

• "Love the tragi-phoric atmosphere to this," 

Tragi-phoric. Give Pascho a medal for that. My new favourite phrase and a perfect summation of TOU
    Post edited by Sparky at 2013-08-08 09:42:39

• "Tragiphoric"!  Wow!  That is good!  And perfectly descriptive!  Ahhh, finally an update to "bittersweet" that I can live with.  Been needing that for ages.  Thanks, pascho!
  • Ok. I confess to breaking down and listening to Clay online. I am (trying) to wait til release day and until yesterday had only heard Drew (which I LOVE)...

Since discovering what this song was about and reading the letter I have to say this has been my most anticipated and feared track from the album. The story behind the song and the letter really hit home for me and I was able to draw several large parallels between the story of these two soldiers, the song and a past relationship in my life.

Since yesterday I have listened to this song about 25 times. It is absolutely stunning! It made me cry the first time and I continue crying for several minutes after I finish it each time. It actually inspired me to go back and watch Brokeback Mountain (which is one of my favorite films ever) for the first time in 3 years (the event in my life that so strongly connects with this song and Brokeback Mountain happened in October of 2010). The movie, the letter, the song have all now become intertwined into the fabric of my story.

I want to thank these two soldiers for inspiring Alison and Will to write this song which has in turn inspired me to pull out a very tragic and sad part of my life that I had filed away to be dealt with at a later time and then finally buried as I realized I had no intentions of ever dealing with it.

This is the most heartbreaking song I've ever heard. It is beautiful, tragic and yet still somehow, despite everything, gives me a sense of hope...hope for the future of all lovers who feel forced to deny their truth, partners who are forced apart for any familial, societal, religious or ethnic reason and ultimately for me, that I may heal and move past this particular event that has kept me in a state of emotionally stunted stasis for the last few years.

I decided that maybe it would be easier for me to put this in writing and share it with a community of people I will probably never meet so thanks to all of you for giving me the place to dump this whole terrible bundle of hurt and denial.

And again, thanks to Goldfrapp for continuing to provide the soundtrack to some of the most pivotal and defining moments of the last 13 years of my life.

hunter
  • That is a great post by Hunter. I love it too. Your last sentence sums my life and Frapp up too. 
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!