Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
The "Clay" Appreciation Thread
  • 212 Comments sorted by
  • I love the passion in Hunters posts. The most relevant lyrics for me is Rocket. Sending my enemies away in one. They are never coming back. Clay is just lovely.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Yo! Someone with the album please post official confirmed lyrics. Thanks. :D

hunter
  • hunter said:

Yo! Someone with the album please post official confirmed lyrics. Thanks. :D

hunter

This seems to be the most accurate to date (from songmeanings)

Words sing

Out into the wind

Their meaning

Taken By Time

Your deep seeing* eyes

Ancient Stars

We wanted

Only to love

How will I find you again

Fate Or Chance

A beauty 

In uncertainty

We fall down

On grey wet sand

Our shadows reframe

Memories

We were only to love

Only too long

And breathe in again

You were waiting the night

Longing of love

And dreams of mine

Oh

Yellow angry waves of grass

The iron sky

Turning in the looking glass

Your deep seeing* eyes

Ancient Stars

You were wonderful life

My only love

Sleep Well

Goodnight

*deep sea eyes is so much more poetic, and scans better

• So do you think those are the same lyrics written in the lyric book?

hunter
  • No. Check the lyrics thread. I transcribed the vinyl lyrics (handwritten and printed inside) and they differ.
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • From the vinyl: (1:1 including line breaks, lack of or weird punctuation and grammar)

Clay

words sail out into the wind

their meaning taken by time

your deep seeing eyes ancient stars

we wanted only to love

how will i find you again fate or chance

a beauty in uncertainty

WE fought them on great white sand

our shadows reframed memories we want

only to live only to love breathe again

your white waves in the night

longing i'm lost In dreams of mine

blue billowing green waves of grass

The Iron Sky Turning in the looking glass

your deep seeing eyes ancient stars

you are wonderful light

my only love sleep well good night

“Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • Just saw that. Thank you so much.

The lyrics are perfect...swooning (and there is "stuff" in my eyes AGAIN)...

hunter
  • That does sound more like it, but remember that the Seventh Tree boxed set lyrics contained variations from the actual recordings...

• That does sound more like it, but remember that the Seventh Tree boxed set lyrics contained variations from the actual recordings...

The same thing happenens on Tales Of Us. See the lyrics thread, first set of lyrics, comments above the transcriptions about discrepancies between the lyrics and the actual recordings.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-09-07 08:42:43
  • SLAYED!

hunter
  • Why slayed? (And isnt it slain, technically?) ;-)
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-09-07 08:46:16
  • Stranger, just listened to Clay and it matches the lyrics you transcribed perfectly (except there is an extra "and" somewhere sung in there).

Thanks, really...I hadn't realized how much I was wanting confirmed lyrics for this one.

hunter
  • Lisen to Thea: entire parts are not written down. Ending of Annabel is missing as well as well as other tiny words and bits.
  • Because slayed is how the "kids" say it. B-)

In all seriousness. The songs subject matter and lyrics just really struck a chord with me.

When I met Charles I was 23 and he was 20. I identified as gay, he straight, we instantly became inseparable, six months in we became physical, but didn't talk about at that time, moved in together but I kept a separate room for appearances (and slept in it when we had company), he started "dating" girls occasionally after our first year together as his friends started to call him on our "relationship", I tolerated it as I didn't believe it was my place to push him out of the closet.

I knew he was madly in love with me as I was him and thought he would come 'round sooner or later but another 4-5 years of trying not to care about what I started to see as a massive lie, not only about who "we" were as a couple but in regards to how we interacted with the world at large. It finally came to a head, we fought, he screamed and broke stuff, I cried, left and moved to another city the next day. In some sort of fucked up retaliation, or self inflicted punishment, I'm not sure which he went back into active duty. I needed time but KNEW we would see each other again, talk...

He was dead within 6 weeks.
    Post edited by hunter at 2013-09-07 09:09:18
  • That was 3 years ago next month. I was and am extremely close with his family (they still don't "know" that we were a couple) and couldn't even make myself go to his funeral. His mom saved me a portion of his ashes (she has to have suspicions)...I put them away and shit that chapter, told myself I'd revisit it a little later but then ended up burying it as I'm pretty sure I had NO plans on dealing...

This song, the letter...smacked me in the face with all of this and I'm talking about it for the first time ever, three years later.

hunter

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!