Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
The "Clay" Appreciation Thread
  • 212 Comments sorted by
  • Wow. You have my sincere condolences. What a tragedy. Tears in my eyes reading that Hunter. Thank you so much for opening up and sharing that. And what a catharsis Clay must be for you. The power of music. Knowing that even despite time and space, you are not alone in your pain.
    Post edited by Stranger at 2013-09-07 09:12:02
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • Hunter, I think it's really wonderful and synchronous that this song arrived and chimed with you. I know it's painful to open old wounds but I hope this beautiful song gives you some comfort. If I was Alison I would be so proud to know that Clay has become more than just a song. I kind of think of it as your song now...

• Hmm, wonderful isn't quite the word I would use right now but maybe later I will look back at this with a less tortured, painful and ultimately rather embarrassed perspective.

But yes, the power of Goldfrapp is profound for me. Interestingly enough we became instant friends and ultimately fell in love over our shared passion for music. I remember sharing Felt Mountain with him one of the first nights we ever hung out. My song to Charles (after we were well into our relationship as it were) was Monster Love and now I've got Clay to bookend it.

hunter
    Post edited by hunter at 2013-09-07 09:38:58
  • You've only just opened the door. Even though right now it's small steps. It's a beginning that feels like an end. You can do this.
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • No, wonderful might not have been the right word, but I was hoping a song as beautiful as Clay might help you to deal with what happened, knowing that someone else went through what you are going through. It takes guts to share personal stuff like this, and I appreciate that.

• All I can say is 'Clay' is a bizarrely beautiful song and I wish it would just carry on forever. Although - and don't scream at me - but does anyone else find the end just too abrupt when you feel so bathed in stunning chords?
  • PS thank you for posting the original letter up. I've been looking for that for ages.
  • PPS and yes I understand that the shock of the ending is about the shock of losing the one you love, but it just seems a shame to me, because each time I listen to the song, I don't want to be reminded of reality. I want to dream of a fairytale world where it all works out.
  • I think the abrupt ending is completely appropriate given the song's subject matter. So gorgeous and heartbreaking. Tied with "Number 1" as my favorite album closer. :)
    I had a king in a tenement castle, lately he's taken to painting the pastel walls brown. He's taken the curtains down. He's swept with the broom of contempt, and the rooms have an empty ring. He's cleaned with the tears of an actor who fears for the laughter's sting...
  • Good job i had heard it b4 i got the cd or i might have thought my player was cocking up like my old one. The ending does not bother me. Its a great track.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Joey said:

I think the abrupt ending is completely appropriate given the song's subject matter. So gorgeous and heartbreaking

I am in total agreement with you that count. It just leaves you hanging with baited breath, pounding heart and moist eyed even after repeated listens
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • I can hear it catching out shit radio djs everywhere ;)
  • Can somebody please clarify something for me, I have read a couple of reviewers stating that 'Clay' is based on the true love story of two soldiers from the First World War, I assumed the events had taken place during the Second World War, can someone please clarify? and is it possible anyone has further information concerning the letter/s Alison read as inspiration, isn't it placed on a website somewhere?

Many thanks in advance

It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • here you go BM...
    letters of note
  • I've had Tales Of Us for two days and already Clay has been played 39 times....

I hope there's a video on the way.... And that it becomes a frapp staple in the setlist... Ive cried to it and smiled to myself to it.... It sounds like so many tragic goodbyes and that's before I read the letter in full.....

The sudden ending makes sense... A shock ending to a song is a great psychological move in this sense.... A bit like Portishead's Silence which is almost traumatic in its brutal stop....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!