Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 566 Comments sorted by
  • Who is Drew?

Being perfectly honest, I have to say I am absolutely in love with Drew, both song and visuals. Visuals first. I love the use of monochrome throughout, it creates a sense of nostalgia while feeling timeless. It is beautifully artistic and stylishly made, the lighting and execution is exquisite, especially the close ups of Alison and the sweeping aerial shots of the mansion and countryside. Alison seems to be haunted by visions of three naked friends? But the sense of nostalgia here doesn't seem melancholy, instead, the evocative images that Alison sees, seem to trigger certain thoughts that revive a sense of self within her. 
    This sense self is the rekindled sense of carefree 'naked' abandonment which we see realised in her beautiful mischievous grin at the end. Is Drew a first love? An alter ego? A Ghost? Its all very ambiguous, but I kind of like that. The song: wow.....where to start. It's a beautiful sensual haunting affair, gorgeously arranged. Love the cinematic quality, the strings are gorgeously addictive while Alison seduces with with a soft whisper, developing into soaring haunting almost cries of longing. Utterly utterly beautiful. A definite stand out live track last week in Manchester too. Lots of utterings of 'masterpiece' being used in the same sentence as Tales of Us by critics already. I have a feeling this is one album that is going to get under all our skins, slowly, sensually...until we all give in. I've given in already. Thanks Alison & Will. 

As for the nudity, I don't find it lewd or gratuitous or off putting, being naked is natural and nudity in art has existed throughout time. It doesn't bother me at all. I cannot wait for the album and the rest of the accompanying visuals. It's so exciting...even the waiting, the anticipation is part of the story. 

• tvpatrol said:

As for the nudity, I don't find it lewd or gratuitous or off putting, being naked is natural and nudity in art has existed throughout time. It doesn't bother me at all. I cannot wait for the album and the rest of the accompanying visuals. It's so exciting...even the waiting, the anticipation is part of the story. 

I'm with you 100%.  Altogether, it's breathtaking and reminiscent, which always gets me.

And, while I just quote a small portion, the whole thing was very well said, tvpatrol.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-07-30 14:07:32
  • rewak said:

cannot cut quote but tattmaylor got there first ...

Hang on a minute, if those are the previous inhabitants in the photo rewak found, what are the odds the the sulky girl teenager is/will be Bo Bruce?

Now, the important identification question: what bike is Alison riding?
    Post edited by wild_corgi at 2013-07-30 14:04:13
  • Now, the important identification question: what bike is Alison riding?

Is that a trick question?
  • rewak said:

Now, the important identification question: what bike is Alison riding?

it be a brownie  :-B

my friends got one :)
    Post edited by ping at 2013-07-30 14:18:29
  • Now, the important identification question: what bike is Alison riding?

Is that a trick question?
     You mean as in,  My friend walked into a bar and asked for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one?
    ;)
    Ping, thank you for the bike ID. I spent Saturday registering people for a nonstop London-Edinburgh-London bike ride so bikes are seriously on my mind. It could be an urban myth that there is one guy riding it on a pennyfarthing ...  but no Brownies. Or Alisons, sadly.

• That's over 800 miles!!!!  Are you serious??!?!  How long will it take?

Cute joke, by the way.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-07-30 17:02:09
  • Hmm, the lyrics on the web need to get updated. It seems the sites are using the same lyrics that have mistakes?

Here are my changes based on the live close-up video of Alison mouthing it......  As for the ending verses.....well it's really hard to make out....  what's worse she sings them differently live than on the album version. 

Pull up the blinds
    Open the door wide
    Feel the cold arrive
    In my bones

Put on my face
    I'll wear your dress tonight
    Feel like you tonight
    On my day

Falling little more
    You burn and crash in dirty snow
    Up to a sin, I might as well
    Melt into Sunday

Remember the time
    We stood there by the lake
    Watching boats and planes
    Grey white clouds

I smelled the sweat
    I felt the sun begin
    Trees on your skin
    On my tongue

Falling little more
    You burned and crashed in dirty snow
    Up to a sin, I might as well
    Melt into Sunday

Pull up the blinds
    Open the door wide
    Feel the cold arrive
    In my bones

You, me and the moon
    We burned and crashed in dirty snow
    Up to our sin, we might as well
    Melt into Sunday

La la la la la
    La la la la la la la la la
    (sounds like) When are you in my (Latest scene? Sea? Legacy?) 
    The wind, blowin.... 

Post edited by Boltfinger at 2013-08-01 03:37:14
  • That's over 800 miles!!!!  Are you serious??!?!  How long will it take?

It's 1,000 miles, and within 5 days - I think it's 96 hours riding time allowed though it has been done in about 45  Totally amateur event run every 4 years and about 1,000 riders with easily as many more disappointed.

Oh yeah, NUTS.

All things considered, even allowing for recent pre-release nerves manifesting themselves, this fandom IS way saner.

Congratulations on pulling the lyrics together for Drew Boltfinger, you got way more than I did, I can't offer any insight into what the last bit Where are you in my latest ...
  • Will there be CD single?
  • The funny thing about Drew is the more I hear it, the less it reminds me of FM or 7T and the more it sounds like its own animal.

That bodes well..........
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • The funny thing about Drew is the more I hear it, the less it reminds me of FM or 7T and the more it sounds like its own animal.

That bodes well..........

I'm with you there, I believe Tales of Us to be a different animal to FM & 7T, and think of those albums as just a reference point, but this really is something fresh ;)
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • I just love it
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Now there should be infos about a single release. I think it won't be as a proper single, just a video. :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!