Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 566 Comments sorted by
  • jozzy81 said:

Jo_ey said:

I just don't understand how one particular seller on eBay reposts the same promo CD of "Drew" every single day.

How can one person have so many copies of it??!?!?!?

hmmmm well said jo_ey

The Radio Edit of Drew is bad though. It slaughters half the strings and fades out when Al is still singing...
    To this date I have never heard an edit of a song by them for radio, done this badly. Sorry.
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • Stranger said:

jozzy81 said:

Jo_ey said:

I just don't understand how one particular seller on eBay reposts the same promo CD of "Drew" every single day.

How can one person have so many copies of it??!?!?!?

hmmmm well said jo_ey

The Radio Edit of Drew is bad though. It slaughters half the strings and fades out when Al is still singing...
    To this date I have never heard an edit of a song by them for radio, done this badly. Sorry.

Oh that makes me cranky....

Brutal unnecessary editing is a real pet hate of mine....
  • Stranger said:

jozzy81 said:

Jo_ey said:

I had a feeling that would happen.
    Bah. I've detested radio edits ever since I heard that butchered version of Florence + The Machine's "Drumming Song".

• Stranger said:

In their (objective) and technical defence , radio edits are for radio not for sitting in ones armchair , the frequencies that radios blast out of their speakers isn`t good for say strings , so using the aural bandwidth on strings is wasted , so cutting them out and boosting the other frequencies so the track will stand out and be audible on the shitty sound that comes out of radios . That`s a paraphrased explanation from Computer Music , the poor quality of radio speakers means the sound has to match the shitty speakers to travel into peoples earlugs to be heard and not for audio excellence .
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I quite like the RAWH single mix as it's got more..beep..bits in. It's fun, I prefer it to album version but prefer live version better than both!
  • Wonder it they are REAL strings on Drew

There was a comment somewhere by Will that he really believed in using real instruments, at least on stage.

Wonder it they are REAL strings on Drew

There was a comment somewhere by Will that he really believed in using real instruments, at least on stage.

rewak said:

This is where the video was filmed, and the people are the previous residents of the house. I dunno if any possible resemblance is intentional or coincidental, but maybe there's something there? I don't know the peoples names so i dunno if anyones there's called Drew, or if that's even applicable given Clay.

Where is the house?
  • Wonder it they are REAL strings on Drew

The back of the Drew Promo cd says "Strings arranged by Nick Ingram . Strings recorded by Gary Thomas at Angel Studios assisted by Jeremy Murphy"
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Yes they went for real instrument save a very rare occasional synth here and there to support the bigger sound style of the album.
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • Sartori said:

Wonder it they are REAL strings on Drew

The back of the Drew Promo cd says "Strings arranged by Nick Ingram . Strings recorded by Gary Thomas at Angel Studios assisted by Jeremy Murphy"

Cheers. You can tell :-)

Sorry for strange quote history :-/ Was tryung to find out where the house was.

Post edited by tattmaylor at 2013-07-25 09:07:37
  • I like edits. Ride A White Horse (video edit) is my fave. It's fast and dancy.

Utopia, genetically enriched, is different from the original in that it's a little faster.
    Creator of Goldfrapp Jukebox, the most complete Goldfrapp music library on the Internet
  • and we're back in the Drew thread
    "its MY favourite song"
  • Tweety! I was going for my first Double Alan...
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    "its MY favourite song"
  • On Drew.

Someone on utube described the video as "the art of memory".. totally, yes.. but still, i couldn't help think that, given the video which flashes back and forth, and the arrangements, that there is both past/a remembrance and present/now sense of time happening simultaneously.. compositionally, much of the song is melancholic/in a memory but it's at the parts when alison sings "in my bones" that the notes become happy and light, as if to suggest a newness, (re)discovering... the video dramatises this with alison descending the staircase in the beginning, to ascend it and join the lovers at the end... when then there seems to be two alison's.. as if memory and the present coalesce, resulting in that smile in the forest...  

and there's the difference between the low contrast (memory/dream state) B&W and the high contrast (the present/the bike ride)..

• Drew has earwormed me to a very great degree.

Both the stringed "BOM-BOM" and Alison's "Laa de-daa de-daa daaa daaa daaaaaaaa" bits have taken hold and are frequeently waving to me from between my ears.

It's sweet torture.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!