Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Moderators (were) Needed!
  • 178 Comments sorted by
  • Nah, I'm all for the originator having the option to delete his or her thread. I was reflecting more on the voting-threads-out motion.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

Nah, I'm all for the originator having the option to delete his or her thread. I was reflecting more on the voting-threads-out motion.

True - too easy for the many to vote down the few. The whole voting thing is a bit of a red-herring across the whole board, really. If it hadn't had been there when opened I doubt anybody would have requested it.
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • Yet everyone has the option to open all threads on the board--or none if they so choose. Why should anyone be denied the option read and post in those very threads?
    We locked rather than delete to stop any accusations of "you`re deleting my opinions" or "my right to read it" ,  the posts were obvious and its scope - about 2 threads over about 6 years . The only posts we deleted were for copyrighted material that was available for sale . The only threads we deleted were spam . But , we were given guidelines . I think the mere knowledge of mods existing gave people some self awareness of their words ........

Post edited by Sartori at 2013-07-04 16:44:43
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Sartori said:

We locked rather than delete to stop any accusations of "you`re deleting my opinions" or "my right to read it", the posts were obvious and its scope - about 2 threads over about 6 years. The only posts we deleted were for copyrighted material that was available for sale . The only threads we deleted were spam.

I'm more concerned with the right ability to elicit true discourse via response. Once a thread is locked, that option is gone. If it's kept open, anyone can continue discourse. If that discourse is displeasing to some, many, or all, each has the right choice to avoid it completely. It actually takes more effort to click on a thread than to pass it over. In your case, it seems that you exercised extreme discretion in deleting posts & threads. I am confident that Carpy and HJ will do the same.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2013-07-04 16:51:38
  • It seems ridiculous but now we have the rights to do stuff I'd prefer it if we hardly have to. That would be ideal all round.

I'll caveat spam, though. There's no mercy there.
  • Although I said I wouldn't be involved in any censorship, there were 2 cases I remember on the old board (Laluna was before my time), where comments posted were clearly over-the-line, IMO.

1) A 14-year-old boy flipped out and started "bombing" the board with abusive comments - directed at other members and even their families.

2) Someone fell out with another member and posted her personal (mobile) phone number - for all to see.

These were extreme cases that probably did warrant deletion without across-the-board consultation. Yes?

Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2013-07-04 17:03:50
  • Yeah they both sound like reasonable cases for 'moderation'.
    Threats and or disclosure of personal info are pretty serious I would say.
  • I just thought I  would point out how lucky all of you that really don't give a damn about Goldfrapp but will bend over backwards for "even treatment" of fallacious individuals.

This is the email I sent.  I could have just a easily inserted "Whickwithy".  Too bad I'm too damned honest for my own good.  Note the timing, which coincides with my post above.  The guy took all of, maybe, five minutes to respond.

@ 11:01 AM EDT

To: (well, that's the secret sauce, isn't it?)

PLEASE, Please, please accept some moderators for the Goddfrapp forum!  Halloween_Jack and The Carpathian have been nominated and the forum desperately needs them.  There are some very offensive posts and, also, getting to be some spam.  What's the hangup?

Thanks and best regards,

Mike (Whickwithy)

Pretty sure the guy didn't check any facts but just took my word for it on who was nominated.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2013-07-04 17:19:44
  • Lost you a bit there? This threads been running since June 19th and I'd imagine they'd been reading since when first opened at the very least but have had to clear things before actioning anything?

If your email gave them a final push to get things rolling then great - at least we're spam free for now!

• ^ That may well have prompted the decision to finally take some action, WW. :)

Also, I tweeted Alison yesterday, mentioning there was spam and that admin were a bit absent.

• I'm so overjoyed.

Check the timing.
  • and I'd imagine they'd been reading since when first opened

Really?  Hahahahaha!
  • Although I said I wouldn't be involved in any censorship, there were 2 cases I remember on the old board (Laluna was before my time), where comments posted were clearly over-the-line, IMO.

1) A 14-year-old boy flipped out and started "bombing" the board with abusive comments - directed at other members and even their families.

2) Someone fell out with another member and posted her personal (mobile) phone number - for all to see.

These were extreme cases that probably did warrant deletion without across-the-board consultation. Yes?

Both of those are homeruns, forgotten those 2 events. Laluna came back as LalunaReloaded and posted absolute piffle - handbags and shoes ...probably best I don't include my replies haha
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I remember in 1) above they kept changing their large avatar to pictures of cancer or autopsies etc and even singled out a certain beloved members daughter for some truly terrible comments.

Yeah, that makes me feel a bit sick even this many years on.
  • These were extreme cases that probably did warrant deletion without across-the-board consultation. Yes?

I'm sure no one would argue against that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!