Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
interviews
  • 160 Comments sorted by
  • Interesting read that there Ping. I want the boxset now because of the hardback book that comes with it.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Just read the "50 Shades of Gold" piece, wow! Good stuff, great pictures too.
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • rewak said:

I'd like them more if it wasn't for the shoes, it's a little picky thing but she looks like she's going bowling.

indeed, bowling it seems she is going, but might i add that they add a boyishness..

• LOVING the pictures for 50 Shades Of Gold. Wow.
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • bit of an interview HERE i think its a longer version of the last one i posted.
  • Alison is on 6 music with Katie puckrick tomorrow morning, the shows 7 - 10.

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039hlz3
    Post edited by ping at 2013-08-30 05:20:05
  • ping said:

Alison is on 6 music with Katie puckrick tomorrow morning, the shows 7 - 10.

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039hlz3

Is this different from the one that is on Sunday night at 6PM  ?.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Yeah it's a different show.
  • I've been enjoying Katie's weekend 6 Music shows anyway so that's an added bonus!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039hlz3

At about 2 hours in the host blabs a bit and plays Drew, Alison appears at about 2 hours 6 minutes in talking about singing and why she likes it, frankly nothing we haven't heard before though but it's worth it to hear her vocal exercises.
  • Cheers for the time-pointers, rewak. Yes, her "diddly daddly biggle baggle" is a blast!

And great to hear of Alison's love of Stevie Nicks. I'd forgotten how brilliant 'Sara' is.

• Anyone who bought a copy of Tetu magazine? there's an interview of her on it
  • rewak said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039hlz3

At about 2 hours in the host blabs a bit and plays Drew, Alison appears at about 2 hours 6 minutes in talking about singing and why she likes it, frankly nothing we haven't heard before though but it's worth it to hear her vocal exercises.

It's a strand feature that has been on the weekend shows for a while and Katie is sitting in but kept it in the running order. They get people on to do a little 'Three Minute Epiphany" answer to a question. Some are more interesting than others but as a growing collection of little talks they're rather good.

Here's a direct link to some of the past ones inc Patti Smith, Jane Birkin and er, Hacker T Dog:-  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p016wtr6

That's why Alison's was so short - they all are!
    A million fires before your harvest comes. To burn out.
    Wear the mask of a heathen. For the moon's lonely eyes.
  • http://poptopoi.com/2013/09/01/goldfrapp-tales-of-us-intervista/

Italian interview, here's the translation:

Mute informs me that the interview is ten minutes late because the Artist is still occupied with the previous phone call,  “She's chatty today,” Mute says,
    “That's better!” “Chatty” is an adjetcive wich i've never tought to link to Goldfrapp, but it's true, she wants to describe her new album in details, to whom she's very close. So close that when i ask her to tell me wich is her favourite track , she refuses to choose. “they're all my favourite and they're all interesting”. I choose:
    “Annabel”. The second track of the album is inspired by a book of Kathleen Winter based on a family of a Canadian child who is intersexual: “it's a very fascinating history wich moved me and it's narrated in a deep and authentic way .”

Reading another book of Patricia Highsmith, "Carol", Alison found the concept of the album: the protagonist of the book gave her the inspiration to write the songs. “I started to write stories about fantasy characters: i liked the idea of a collection of songs guided by a narrative element ”. Like “Annabel”, eight of  ten tracks of the album tell  of characters borrowed from various writers, but to make the difference is Alison's point of view, because: “when you tell someone's story, you also tell a part of your story”, she says.

I ask her if she's also influenced by the Cinema, given that the first video "Drew " reminds of a Bertolucci's film "The Dreamers". She doesn't know the movie: (“you're the second person that makes me notice that today”) she says, but european movies are a constant inspiration: each song is like a short film and the visual project, based on black and white, “intensifies the narrative with a strenght and simplicity unaittainable with the use of colour”. It's a taste different from the previous ones of Goldfrapp, but we grew acostumed to that: from the debut of  Felt Mountain (2000) to the Electropop of Black Cherry (2003) and Supernature (2005), from the intimacy of Seventh Tree (2008) to the 80's of Head First (2010), Goldfrapp filled their fans with radical changes. A day Alison sings of a night spent at the disco, another day she sings of a night spent at A&E,
    (“and they're very close experiences” she jokes).

I ask her if each character of her albums reflects an Alter Ego or a stage persona but she answers that she only wants to try something new.   “There are two worlds: the aggressive one of Supernature and Head First, and the pastoral, orchestral one of Seventh Tree and Tales of Us. I feel that the last one is the one that belongs to me the most."

I make her notice that in the promotional campaign of Head First she seemed to be in disguise and with a bit of fear, i confess her that this new Era is the one that fits her the most. She doesn't want to talk about Head First, but she says that she has never wanted to follow a trend. “Everyone was very confused when we published Felt Mountain, and we confused them more with  Black Cherry because that genre wasn't well known at that moment. But our Fans, the true ones, are always open to discover new music. If you have a look at their playlists, you wont find a single genre of music and we can't satisfy everyone”. Seen the previous success of their albums, i suggest them to keep using their ideas, wich always give exellent results, "That's the important" she says.

Post edited by giulys at 2013-09-03 09:14:08
  • Cheers for the time-pointers, rewak. Yes, her "diddly daddly biggle baggle" is a blast!

And great to hear of Alison's love of Stevie Nicks. I'd forgotten how brilliant 'Sara' is.

Yes. When I saw the tracklist, I couldnt help think of Rhiannon and Sara, and Laura... the idea of not just one song-epic but a whole album of songs about people just fascinated.. cant wait to dive into the lyrics of TOU..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!