Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 529 Comments sorted by
  • NOOOOOO Whisperit! You already HAD a break! (Or several for that matter)
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • whisperit said:

it seems much more likely that it's down to the forum just being not very interesting? 

&
    It gets to be a problem when there's not much else being posted - stuff that would stimulate people to want to join in.

Any suggestions on what “stuff” exactly would stimulate people to want to join? I mean, I think this forum is interesting because there are many different opinions on Goldfrapp music, the lyrics, etecetera. Reading the various threads really has added something to the music for me, because it makes me think about the lyrics, the meaning of the films, the artistic unity of an album as a whole, and many other things.

I also liked reading about the excitement (and frustrations) about the Deluxe-box. Why? Because I didn’t buy it, but I like to imaging how everybody feels about (not) getting the box.

The in-between-phase that we’re in now (I mean after the continental gigs and well before the gigs in the UK) just doesn’t offer many new things to discuss, does it? I can’t wait to hear/read about the Brighton gig and the other gigs, but until then, there’s mostly off-topic-talk. Some I like, some I don’t. (my favourites being Peters message on the toy car that was blown upright by the storm and Whicks problems with hugging someone with your thumbs down – if you don’t know what I’m talking about, try to look them up; they really gave me tears from laughing out loud).

Sooo…. We’re just hoping for anyone to come up with new ideas, thoughts and experiences on Goldfrapp music. The forum will get more lively then, I’m sure!
  • Well, that sure got some posts.

"randomised psychiatric forum hotel visit".  Hahahahaha! That's what's missing!!!!!!!  Perfectly stated, Sartori.

Also, come to think of it a plain "Vanilla" describes this system very well, also!  Thanks for what tiny tweaks you can develop, HJ.

Honestly?  I just can't abandon a website for my, by far and away, favorite band from the last 30 years or so.  So, I'll stick around, though maybe not too vocally, unless it gets back to the fun it was.  It seems that there are many of us that have tried, at one time or another, to try to pick up the pace by adding threads that have died aborning.  I've added sixteen with short-lived successes.  Same as everyone else, I don't really care that the threads died.  What concerns me the most is that nothing seems to liven this place up. 

Me?  I totally ignore threads like "what's the weather like".  I don't know if you can change this, either, HJ.  But, for me, when I hit "mark all as viewed", I expect that it to go to the last post the next time I happen to hit on that thread.  If I wanted to slog through pages of posts, I would have not hit mark all as viewed.  And, the loss of all of the info on the threads, like how many comments, views, and who wrote the original post makes the board a little less appealing.

"I've wondered if the lack of active new members isn't partly due to the
    playground bullying that goes on here. I mean, who would want to play
    newbie on a forum where their posts are going to be trivialized and
    ridiculed? You think they don't see it?"  Gosh, I so agree with that, Iuventus.  Well said.  It was even worse when this new board first opened.  It was like a whole lot of people felt some kind of ownership and felt that some form of witty viciousness was in order.

I certainly don't think a "triviality" rating is really necessary.  As I said above, it only takes a few checks to be certain that a thread is trivial and, who knows, on rare occasions, also as I said, I'll check back and find something interesting....this thread comes to mind.

Goodness!  So many great qotes in the span of a handful of posts!  "that's pure 'I'm-now-having-a-ham-sandwich' land".  Hahahaha!  I'm glad to hear that Folksie is alive and well, even if it is second hand.  I hope her singing ordeal works its way through to the best possible outcome.  I feel for her.

Anyways.....
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2014-01-17 17:24:03
  • I realize some are on Twatter, but not here on this board. I had actually created a twatter account when it was first introduced..but never used it because of limitation! A blip of info...what kind of interaction is that? I guess I require more stimulation than the average joe. How I do miss the days of bullying softlad...:(. Those of us here must now become like Dorthy Parker's Algonquin Round Table!!! I believe we can DO this!
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2014-12-11 20:37:20
    U R I E L
  • A Dorothy Parker fan!  That's encouraging...
  • Now, I'm off to start a new topic! If it falls on its ass, I blame you all!!! :D
    U R I E L
  • Hahahahaha!  Beat you to it!
  • Iuventus sayeth via the Forum Soothsayer (ie the quoting engine has gone down the shitter again) :
    Neither Cervus nor Lisa are gone because they found the forum boring. Lisa simply made herself too many enemies too quickly upon her return; plus, she no longer shares the same interest in Goldfrapp that the others do. I think that Cervus sometimes felt that people would consider him a bit vapid because (he thought that) his posts were trite or niggling; though, that's why he's been absent. I think there's something else behind Folklore's absence as well. She didn't seem terribly displeased with the forum.

And Sartori isn't actually gone yet. If my subtle powers of seduction are still seductive and powerful, he may not make it out the door.

There are still quite a few rich personalities here; nor will I name them so that I don't cause anyone to feel left out. Perhaps, rather than criticize those who don't pique our interests, we could encourage those who do.

Sometimes you get a moment of clarity , a moment of a twisted sightline that shows the overall picture as somewhat different than the straight on view - but these are my viewpoints and my looking skewed at the forum . I`m not implying boredom with the forum and even more so , I`m definitively not implying people are boring , just the threads not piquing my interest (which is totally different) . As Luv mentions above , there are still plenty of great peeps with great `tales of them` and if others (namecheck Jeronimoo) find the forum interesting to themselves - then `Happy Days` . There isn`t a `right` side to the discussion , if all parties are happy , then Happy Days , I`m not implying anything I haven`t said directly - please don`t misquote me or think this is aimed at anyone , it isn`t - if I wished to aim it at anyone , I`m grown up enough to say it directly to that person .
     I just miss the madness and the nonsense of those old `04 days and currently the GMB members on Tw/FB fufill my daily quota .  

I would say (and why I`ve quoted Iuv) that upon the above `skewed` reflection , I do share an amount of self awareness with Cervus - on the forum I sometimes feel like a `Dirty self-pleasing Circus drama queen monkey-clown genetic hybrid swearing/offence machine` , running amok with grammar , spelling , taste and irreverence of anything and everything (......still , it worked for Take That ;) ) . That hasn`t stopped me from still behaving like that on Twitter/FB of course haha , but there`s only so much offence you can cause with 140 letters .....apparently .

Cervus - I found he interacted and became part of the forum very well (imo anyway) , I also miss him with his lovely dog . 
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-01-17 17:34:53
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Bloody shitsticking edit function .
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-01-17 17:29:04
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • I'm totally in love with you, S.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  •  ^ Back to my mid-life crisis of new car , new iphone and my monkey tail bone hurting but now with ten self esteem points in the bag :)
  • ^ Hmm, Jaxsbudgie, maybe? I don't know where he is now.

Bravo, Halloween_Jack!  I think you have the right fellow.  Well, Jax, if you're around, come back and make us a thread of all the artistic choices you disapprove of in the Tales of Us age!  
  • Sorry, I meant to say that's NOT why Cervus has been absent; corrected that in my earlier post. I really shouldn't be speaking for him anyhow, as my understanding of his reason(s) could be wrong. Sorry, C.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Misbehaving, yeah, that's probably what's been missing.
  • Misbehaving, yeah, that's probably what's been missing.

Just went back onto the old forum to look at old threads to see if my memory had rewritten history , the old old pages are gone , so I had to settle on reading some of a thread about 'Rocket' (2010) which went on for 60 pages .......'Rocket' for gawds sake 60 pages , not posts .....pages . It had the rampant misbehaving , flippant comments , bellend comments , stroppiness , white writing , references to Glee , enough off-topic posts to start their own off-topic forum and soapboxing worthy of a Tory conference - it was great haha.…...lots of great peeps from it missing though .

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!