Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 529 Comments sorted by
  • Sad that Sartori has gone. Will be back when the concerts start. It really is quiet these days. Even the regulars are not regulars at the moment. Its a shame.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Jag har en bok.
    That is the only Swedish I know. It means: I have a book.
    LOL :-)>:)

Ja, mycket bra! =D>

Our Swedish skills are pretty much on the same level then. The only difference is that since Swedish is our second official language, I should be able to speak it quite fluently. Well, maybe one day... :P
    Post edited by Minsku at 2014-01-17 09:56:50
  • If they had actually updated with the new board, I would be in agreement, but they didn't.  They went backwards.  You're right, very nice on Will and Alison's part but a poor implementation.  The new one is just not nearly as user-friendly.  I guess I'd say this is corporate friendly.  If they had wanted to improve, they could have gone to one of those apps that allow individual conversations within a thread and tracked each conversation seperately.  Or, paid someone to copy the old one and made it a transparent move.  Ah, well, live with whatcha got, I guess.
  • ^ I agree with your assesment. I think that the the old board's first page of four top topics of conversation kept people focused and interested. The fact that there are 16 or so top discussions now sort of defuses the attention. Also, little things like infinite scroll affect the way information is experienced. For example: The word game (which used to be one of my favs) only had 15 or so word posts before a new page would begin. The structure/limitation gave the word game an organic beginning and end. Now with infinite scroll it just goes on and on and yet never really goes anywhere.

I miss the charm and coziness of the old board, but I'm also thankful and happy to see they spent so much time trying to make the new one modern and attractive. It's a catch 22.

Your post did pique my interest to log back in & comment on it (as I realised that I still have to login to sort out going to the Brizzle gig) . Yes , AA , I`d agree on your points , the board is clearer but paradoxically more messy and it personally grates with me that when looking at the off-topic topic , I just can`t be arsed to click into opening all of the off-topic threads .

Its a point I touched base with Peter about , the board is sterile like a metaphorical Milton Keynes (a manufactured town in England for US readers) , it lacks something (the `je ne sais quai` that WW mentioned) .  It also lacks (possibly because of the missing `quoi`) engagement/interaction - more & more posts are like post-its that are put into bottles and never get read .

WW also has a very valid point , it is a `corporate friendly` doo dah forum , where is the randomised psychiatric forum hotel visit that was the forum circa the bonkers Black Cherry site era ? "semi-clad wolf-man m`lady ?" ,  "yes please vicar and a side order of throbbing cockburger / twatburger please"...have we all just um..grown up ? have we changed and it`s not the forum ? each of us has a perspective on this , I don`t wish to reflect too much on what`s cheesing me off (as I`ve already mentioned it more than once) . 

I`ll be quite candid , I like interaction , even if its a few words . I started 30 threads and they all died on their arses - which isn`t to say I`m all meow/precious about it at all (threads and posts are just things that either live or die to moi , pure pragmatism/realism at work) , there just isn`t be much conversation on the board and that is undeniably missing (even if it`s talking about handbags.....or maybe not for those that remember Laluna`s introspection on handbag decisions...amongst other things) . I don`t personally much miss GetUnconscious`s massive self absorbed suckin-off-the-postie/look-at-me posts but hey , he did promote conversation .  

Conversation isn`t just a long rambling post like this , interacting stops the members being or feeling like we`re all on separate little desert islands lobbing little post-its into bottles that no one ever reads . From just a few words , it`s size doesn`t matter , it`s what you do with it that matters ;) *

*there`s always room to push in a double entendre even if its tight . 

ps I`m sure some might say my post is a tad patronising - its not meant to be , everything needed to be said to place everything in context , but really ,the entire post is a Viking longboat burning . The board is missing it`s best older members , the Softlads , the Cats , OOhLaLisas etc etc , *sigh* , 2004 seems a long time ago, things have changed , my desires/expectations haven`t , I`m off (bar one gig at Brizzle) . 

pps bad punctuation ? obviously , you forget my old avatar sig ;)
    Post edited by Sartori at 2014-01-17 11:46:54
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • Sartori, A_is_A, Whickwithy - I guess there are 2 separate issues (although they could possibly be related):

1) This forum is less of a madhouse than the old board, that's for sure. That's mostly a disappointing thing, but I am reminded occasionally that there was some real nastiness on the old GMB from time to time, and I'm certainly glad to not have that these days. I would love to see more random, spontaneous posts/threads, but I guess that those of us who do bother to drop by here... must be guilty of failing to supply that? It's a bit like people not wanting to go to a party because "there wont be many fun guests there". If everyone starts thinking like that.. then of course there won't be! Haha... just my 2 cents.

2) The new forum unfortunately does seem less user-friendly than the old one. The new management chose to switch to the 'Vanilla' system.. they spent a fair amount of time setting it up... but then pretty much abandoned it. The lack of a decent search facility is pathetic, there is still a serious problem with "mobile mode" where it's almost impossible to catch-up to the latest post in a thread you've not visited for a while and... loads of other things - which we've diligently catalogued.

It's possible the shortcomings and clinical feel of the new forum are putting off interesting/fun posters, but it might also be down to your typical Frapp fan these days... being less of a nutter, lol. I dunno.

A_is_A said:

...little things like infinite scroll affect the way information is experienced. For example: The word game (which used to be one of my favs) only had 15 or so word posts before a new page would begin. The structure/limitation gave the word game an organic beginning and end. Now with infinite scroll it just goes on and on and yet never really goes anywhere...

You're right - on the old board, the default number of posts/page was 15. On here it was 50. I have just now changed it to 15, as per classic GMB. It's one of the few settings we can tweak! Hope that improves the feel of those type of threads.
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-01-17 12:28:41
  • Sartori, A_is_A, Whickwithy: I guess there are 2 separate issues (although they could possibly be related):

1) This forum is less of a madhouse than the old board, that's for sure. That's mostly a disappointing thing, but I am reminded occasionally that there was some real nastiness on the old GMB from time to time, and I'm certainly glad to not have that these days. I would love to see more random, spontaneous posts/threads, but I guess that those of us who do bother to drop by here... must be guilty of failing to supply that? It's a bit like people not wanting to go to a party because "there wont be many fun guests there". If everyone starts thinking like that.. then of course there won't be! Haha... just my 2 cents.

2) It's possible the shortcomings and clinical feel of the new forum are putting off interesting/fun posters, but it might also be down to your typical Frapp fan these days... being less of a nutter, lol. I dunno.

A_is_A said:

Yeah , there were a few `cocks` on the board that got well out of hand on the other side of the coin , I did get involved with arguments with a few of them , ah well , I tend to not dwell on that aspect of it as...well..other reasons . The musings and ramblings of Corvina , PPig , JJJar and the aforementioned honourable members kept it lively and engaging , I`d agree with "typical Frapp fan these days...being less of a nutter" or "grown up" haha as I mentioned . A previous post I made around this topic was slightly misinterpreted to be about being entertaining when posting , I meant it as being engaging with others posts and encouraging replies . I`m certainly no Oscar Bloody Wilde , I try to engage in chatter but really it`s not something that we want to discuss , it implies the reverse is true and I`m not saying that - ie not engaging . People will engage or they won`t , I`m certainly not telling anyone to do so .

We all change , we all want different things , a cerebral wanking match is now voted `least likely to happen here` of course haha , but.......... if we just moved the threads that are primarily used to another forum - they wouldn`t be recognisable as from "`t Gold t`frapp forum" and that is a problem . 
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"
  • ^I'm not making any apologies about the "try to be entertaining/interesting" idea - which I was teased about too, Sartori.

Who wants to put energy into a forum where, when you click to view a new post the chances are that it'll say, "It's raining. I'm watching the telly"? 

• Now there's that old nasty spirit. I've wondered if the lack of active new members isn't partly due to the playground bullying that goes on here. I mean, who would want to play newbie on a forum where their posts are going to be trivialized and ridiculed? You think they don't see it? If you want things to be interesting...yeah, never mind.

Anyhow, Sartori, the place wouldn't be the same without you. It's already sadly lacking Carpy, Cervus, Lisa, and others. You're the last omnipresent motherfucker holding the place together. Even the jabs and banter will no longer carry any wit.

Perhaps, I'll be moved to brood with Pet on the old board.

*sigh*
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • whisperit said:

^I'm not making any apologies about the "try to be entertaining/interesting" idea - which I was teased about too, Sartori.

Who wants to put energy into a forum where, when you click to view a new post the chances are that it'll say, "It's raining. I'm watching the telly"? 

I wasn't having a go at anyone in particular. I think most would agree that you two contribute more non-fluff here... than just about everyone else. I feel your frustration but I don't know how the situation can be improved. Assign each thread a "triviality" rating?
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-01-17 14:41:28
  • Assign each thread a "triviality" rating?

Precisely, if you want to make the place even more exclusive.

I'm seeing a mixed message. Do you (pl.) want new fans to join or not? When they do, do you want them to stay? Sometimes, I think that these forums do more to turn people away from bands than to support their shared tastes.
  • ^I was afraid I wasn't clear enough. My fault.

I'd be really upset if I thought bullying was the reason for declining participation. 

But if you look at who is leaving - folklore, cervus, lisa, now sartori - it seems much more likely that it's down to the forum just being not very interesting? 

Like i said on another thread a little while ago, there's nothing wrong with people posting stuff like 'its raining. Im watching the telly' once in a while. It gets to be a problem when there's not much else being posted - stuff that would stimulate people to want to join in. And that's the fault of all of us, collectively - me as much as anyone else.

Post edited by whisperit at 2014-01-17 15:35:38
  • Neither Cervus nor Lisa are gone because they found the forum boring. Lisa simply made herself too many enemies too quickly upon her return; plus, she no longer shares the same interest in Goldfrapp that the others do. I think that Cervus sometimes felt that people would consider him a bit vapid because (he thought that) his posts were trite or niggling; though, that's NOT why he's been absent. I think there's something else behind Folklore's absence as well. She didn't seem terribly displeased with the forum.

And Sartori isn't actually gone yet. If my subtle powers of seduction are still seductive and powerful, he may not make it out the door.

There are still quite a few rich personalities here; nor will I name them so that I don't cause anyone to feel left out. Perhaps, rather than criticize those who don't pique our interests, we could encourage those who do.
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-01-17 23:01:01
  • iuventus said:

I think there's something else behind Folklore's absence as well. She didn't seem terribly displeased with the forum.

Yeah, I'd love to see folklore back on here. I won't speculate too much on (the reasons for) her absence, but she posted about having to cancel her gig - singing - last month, and was obviously upset about that. She is on Twitter pretty much every day, but as that's pure 'I'm-now-having-a-ham-sandwich' land... it's kinda hard to tell how she's doing. Similar thing with Carpy, really. Anyway, if either happen to read this... do pop back! :-)
    Post edited by Halloween_Jack at 2014-01-17 15:59:13
  • Oh, Carpy...
  • hmmm....i'm realising that since my accident, i've got a bit overinvested in the board!

i'm gonna take a break.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!