Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 566 Comments sorted by

• Well, anyways, ballroom is what I was thinking.

Ballroom is superb for the album. Especially in a cinematic setting.
    Ps: you cal Waltz to Jo I think.
    “Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous." — Queen Victoria
  • (AMAZING I LOVE IT) and Alison looks stunning (as always) in the video can't wait for the album.
  • Stranger said:

Well, anyways, ballroom is what I was thinking.

If you are talking ballroom you may well be able to do a rather fetching Rumba to Drew :)
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • I literally SOBBED the whole way through upon the third viewing. In my opinion, Alison sheds her identity to join the others, and it's completely heart-shattering.
  • @Lollicruz I can relate to that. It was like a rug being pulled out from under me.
    '' Sometimes I think I've felt everything I'm ever going to feel and from here on out I'm not going to feel anything new, just lesser versions of what I've already felt ''
  • Wonder it they are REAL strings on Drew (synths are getting very good these days). Certainly sounds good on the headphones.  :-)

I didn't want to really comment until i'd had a full day with it. Funny when Rocket was released it was a very emotional time in my life so, like then, it's hard to be objective. At least this goes with my meloncholy mood.

But, yes it's is proper old school Frapp and I to LOVE IT :). I think the way the board was talking (plus that MIX TAPE 1 choices) it was what everyone wanted. Almost full circle to the Accelerator soundtrack (first thing she did
    with Will). Hope the feel is kept throughout the album. I loved
    the change of direction on Seventh Tree but some of the album didn't go where I expected/wanted it to go. Didn't feel like a complete album like the others, more a mixture of EP's.

I think HEAD FIRST was a very important album for Frapp as it got the whole glam /disco thing out their (and our) system and made them realise what they are good at and what stands the test of time. It also thinned out the party crowd back down to the hardcore. :-)

As for nudity, if anyone got into Goldfrapp around the Black Cherry/Supernature period you can hardly be shocked by the Drew video! When I met my partner she knew I was a big fan so she bought the first 2 albums. She was quite shocked at how sexualised it was, i really focus on music not lyrics so i hadn't really thought about it. But all through her work there has been sexual references. Field of Penis' on Supernature (infact sure i saw a naughty Lovely Head cover) and naughty drawings in ST book.

Where as I think the Drew video is much more innocent and tasteful, referencing a 'Brideshead Revisted' / french film type extravagance from a past era. I'm actually a lot more comfortable with this than the whole BC/Supernature nipple tassles era.

Post edited by tattmaylor at 2013-07-16 05:09:54
  • I was thinking about that too. the tassles and the mud wrestling and the artwork for the BC Singles were that bit more obvious direct (nothing wrong with that either) this seems much more seraphic in some way.
    Post edited by Cervus at 2013-07-16 05:25:57
  • As for nudity, if anyone got into Goldfrapp around the Black Cherry/Supernature period you can hardly be shocked by the Drew video...

Where as I think the Drew video is much more innocent and tasteful, referencing a 'Brideshead Revisted' / french film type extravagance from a past era. I'm actually a lot more comfortable with this than the whole BC/Supernature nipple tassles era.

I have no problem at all with sexualised references or imagery. Except when it's exploitative. Which BC/Supernature wasn't.

Er...or when it's "tasteful". For me, the Drew video uses too many cliches - the discarded undies on the stairs, the feathery pillow fight -  ugh!  Lazy shortcuts in place of original, emotionally real imagery.

Luckily, I dont really care about the video, and the music is great. 
  • whisperit said:

As for nudity, if anyone got into Goldfrapp around the Black Cherry/Supernature period you can hardly be shocked by the Drew video...

I have no problem at all with sexualised references or imagery. Except when it's exploitative. Which BC/Supernature wasn't.

Er...or when it's "tasteful". For me, the Drew video uses too many cliches - the discarded undies on the stairs, the feathery pillow fight -  ugh!  Lazy shortcuts in place of original, emotionally real imagery.

I think the video is referencing films and novels. A homage type thing.

But, I was watching the new Brideshead Revisited film the other month and my partner told me when she was young she used to hang out at a friend's house with servants (and parents rarely there) and they had crazy summers in a huge house/grounds and anything they requested they got brought out to them. Her friend really had no inhibitions, she had her own world with no barriers (turned out she was a bit crazy aswell). In some ways the girl in question never had to grow up like normal kids.
  • Gorgeous stuff!

As with most of you, I've been trying to decipher the lyrics.

I think the first two verses are:

Pull up the blinds, open the door wide, feel the cold arrive, in my bones.

Powder my face, put on your dress tonight, feel like you tonight, on my date(?)

• whisperit said:

I mean, videos require transition scenes. I'm not sure what else you'd like them to have been doing. A playful food fight, perhaps?
  • LolliCruz said:

.... I'm not sure what else you'd like them to have been doing. A playful food fight, perhaps?

I've no artistic vision to offer the world, lollicruz. I'm just giving an opinion.
  • The thing is Goldfrapp are all about taking existing art and re-packaging it. These days where nothing is new and everything is repackaged it's a thin line between Homage and Cliche! And Goldfrapp often walk that line. Nothing new.

IMO Goldfrapp are only really original, as artists, in their execution rather than their actual creation of music. Their musical references to other artists are pretty obvious if you have any knowledge of music and i'm sure Ali and Will will happily admit that. It is near enough impossible to be original in pop music these days (that is for the avant garde artists to continue and 'pop' music to take the best bits from). The skill of any pop artist is when and how you use those references, how you combine them and the skill, care and execution of the final product.

So with that in mind i think their video's will always reflect this. I mean dancing girls is probably one of the biggest cliches you can get in a pop video! I am glad to see the back of them.

I do agree though, like most pop videos, they may not be to everyone's 'taste'. My favourite artists very rarely make my favourite videos, Goldfrapp being a prime example. They have done way too many 'performance' type videos for my liking. I will always go with a story video no matter how cliche. Any Mylene Farmer fans will understand. :-) 

I don't get too excited about videos any more. As long as they reflect and help you understand the song and give you a visual reference point for the artist they have done their job. They can be happily forgotten and lost on youtube in years to come, in my view. It's the music (and your own imagery) that will live on for ever.

Post edited by tattmaylor at 2013-07-16 07:13:01
  • Just seen the video.....

Made me feel sad......

• Tatt Maylor saideth unto us :IMO Goldfrapp are only really original, as artists, in their execution rather than their actual creation of music. 

Yes , their execution is much greater than the sum of the parts (and the word I didn`t realise I was looking for)  , Alisons vocal inflection is what makes their music powerful and original to me (personally) .
     I also prefer a story driven video , to me it can feel more of a visual journey and more connected to the music through it (if I like it that much) . Some of the imagery can drive little forget-me-nots into my brain - I can walk through a concrete stanchioned car park on my own in a dropped out mindset and an image/music from The Chauffeur snaps to my mind (you either know what I`m talking about or not...um ..umm ahem) . 
    Post edited by Sartori at 2013-07-16 07:45:06
    "Read my posts and see why we`re not allowed nice things anymore"
    photo 5a6eb769-bc12-4596-bbe8-709fc2bb0d5e.jpg
    "Brought to you straight from the People`s Republic of There`s Something Wrong With You . The Hoi Polloi Capital of the World"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!