Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 222 Comments sorted by
  • That's the general consensus on this forum I feel Hells, and many people feel the same nationally. This Leadsom woman has proven herself to be a conniving glory- grabber already by exaggerating her CV ( a politician who lies...there's a thing!) and May f£&@:ed up the immigration system which put us largely in this mess in the first place. The same thing is going on in my workplace but I won't bore you. I think everything can be summed up in one word - insecurity. Try the Gove slapping app that Appy posted about above. Some therapy is better than nothing.
  • I feel strongly too that the media have done a hell of a lot of damage in stirring up national insecurities and dwelling on the negatives all the time. A case in point- I went along to that Friendship Service in Boston ( it was a church service rather than a rally so I was well out of my comfort zone but I needed to go show support). Luckily all passed off without event and it was actually very nice. I got talking to some wonderful Lithuanian children afterwards, so much more polite and confident than the local English ones ( generally). The local media reported on only one aspect of the whole thing- one quote from the vicar who relayed the story about a local foreign lady who had been spat at. It was her children I'd been talking to as it turned out. How very helpful of the local news.
  • Leadsom is worrying. A lot of her ideas and beliefs are just plain old conservative, and her ideology of making Britain '"the greatest country on Earth" is basically just like listening to Nigel Farage except in a more aesthetically pleasing exterior. Her fox-hunting, gay-marriage banning bizzare-o brain is not one I have a lot of trust in tbh. Not that I'm endorsing May, as at the minute it really is like trying to find the lesser of two evils, but Leadsom really wants to push the Brexit into action. Triggering Article 50 is going to be an absolute shit show for whoever steps up to the plate and by the looks of things, she, for whatever reason, wants it.

• Read this but, in a nutshell, ask 10 constitutional lawyers about whether the commons needs to vote on envoi get Article 50 and 5 will tell you one thing and the other 5 something else. A Judidcal revue is an evens bet at this moment.
    https://www.herbertsmithfreehills.com/-/media/Files/PDFs/2016/brexit-triggering-article-50-final.pdf
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
  • Whatever the case there needs to be more serious, thoughtful discussion on this before we go all trigger happy on it. This isn't something that can just be changed in 5 years by another vote, it's much bigger than that and deserves a lot more respect. The way it's been handled is atrocious. 

• I've ranted enough about this on Twatter as UT will confirm - In my humble opinion we had two weeks to start sorting this out and nothing has, visibly, happened. We're stuck in partisan politics which is so temporary in the scope of thingsl. What we need is a cross party coalition group to start planning what we're going to do - what ever way we choose it's going to be difficult. I voted to remain firmly in the belief that we were better off fighting from within. Yes to EU is largely defunct democratically but I fear they will now progress to a Federal Superstate without the UK there to resist. Whatever the remainers bleet on about we are where we are and need to suck it up and get on we it (or at least something)
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?
  • I see the government have pissed on that petition, surprise surprise- but is that legal? Gosh, it's all so complicated, my little brain can't cope anymore. I'm going to make like an ostrich. Wake me up when it's all over ( there'll only be my arse left after Armageddon!).
  • Mrs Leadsom will be first on Catherine's and my wedding list. After UT and Mrs UT of course. We've planned to dispense with clothes and just wear rainbow body paint. Guests must adhere too.
  • KatRobin said:

Mrs Leadsom will be first on Catherine's and my wedding list. After UT and Mrs UT of course. We've planned to dispense with clothes and just wear rainbow body paint. Guests must adhere too.

Ahh are you getting married
  • Sometime! Some of us have bought hats !
    :-w
  • Been on hold now for two years due to my health issues and Catherine's life being overtaken by work. But it's on the cards..
  • KatRobin said:

I'm going to make like an ostrich. 

Best approach in my opinion.  I seldom get past the headlines, they are enough to remind me of the stupidity of the human race at this juncture.
  • I was in a General hospital today. It's like a League of Nations in there!
    Let's face it, if Brexit requires all the foriegn nationals to go home, that wonderful institution, and us, are fucked!
    Viva the NHS!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!