Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • Seeing as the concerts are coming up I thought I'd ask.

What are your thoughts on gig merchandise? Not just frapp gigs too. Are you the type to get a t shirt and other goodies from a show if you like the band enough?

What's your fave piece of merch etc....
  • 81 Comments sorted by
  • A sizeable majority of the "upper-bodywear" I own is gig t-shirts (and yes, I still have some from the late seventies/early eighties...most of which still fit, sort of)

But that doesn't make me a bad person, right? (Just deeply unfashionable)

APL

"Cleanliness and chickens. Those are two concepts I will always stand by"
    Geddy Lee
  • Hi, my name is Dreeke and I'm a merch t-shirt junkie....

Even though I think recently merch has been criminally overpriced. 20-25 euros for a t-shirt and 40-50 euros for a hoodie.

But yeah. I tend to buy t-shirts and/or albums at gigs. I'm even being a bit disappointed if there's no merch at a gig.

For example: I'm already hoping CHVRCHES will have their new t-shirt on sale at the Pitch festival next saturday. Seen a picture of it and me want! ;)

My favorite piece of merch is a brown Dévics t-shirt I bought at one of their Push The Heart tour gigs. Lots of runners up though...
    Post edited by Dreeke at 2013-06-30 16:46:20
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I think it is our job to dream"
  • ^in 2008 ;)
  • I always find t-shirts kinda boring, not to mention insanely over-priced. I like when they put more thought into it, they had it good on the 7T tour and that's sort of the best line up of merch i've seen for any group. For their US tour Garbage had a limited edition poster designed for each date, and they sold guitar strings used by the band as necklaces, that was pretty clever. Then they toured the UK and only brought t-shirts and badges, yawn! I quite like tour booklets, something with exclusive stuff in it. Live stuff is always good.
  • softlad said:

I forgot those long sleeve tops.... I nearly bagged one...
  • Thoughts on merch, who doesn't like it, rarely in a position to purchase the merch though as Dreeke rightly points out the prices are high, that's not including the cost of the entrance to concert and any refreshments. I like band merch yes. Some Goldfrapp badges would be cool, or maybe a tea towel, key ring or mug, anything you like really.
    It's a re-creation
    Again I live another life
    My imagination
    Can't cross the borderline
  • Dreeke said:

^in 2008 ;)

FIVE! years ago.

£15 for the water bottle.

Post edited by softlad at 2013-06-30 17:08:12
  • key ring.

I'll never understand why they didn't mass produce these for merch

And then there's this, i don't really know the story of these. I know they were put out during the Black Cherry era but i dunno if it was just at a small number of gigs or if it was promo only like the keyring. I do know it's kinda hard to photograph :P If you can't make it out i don't blame you, it's a leather wristband with the stamp logo embossed on it.

Post edited by rewak at 2013-06-30 17:39:25
  • I never understand why band CD's are sold as I would have thought if you like that band hence paying for a ticket to see said band you would already have the CD?? Maybe that's just my thinking?
    T-shirts £20 or more usually but 99% of the time I will buy one (two maybe). Mugs, key rings, tea towel (for my Mum obviously), etc. I will be there kicking people in the shins so I can get something and then moan 24 hours later about the price 
    $-)
  • rewak said:

key ring.

I'll never understand why they didn't mass produce these for merch

And then there's this, i don't really know the story of these. I know they were put out during the Black Cherry era but i dunno if it was just at a small number of gigs or if it was promo only like the keyring. I do know it's kinda hard to photograph :P If you can't make it out i don't blame you, it's a leather wristband with the stamp logo embossed on it.

Thanks rewak the key ring yes lovely, the bracelet isn't my style really
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Bells said:

I never understand why band CD's are sold as I would have thought if you like that band hence paying for a ticket to see said band you would already have the CD?? Maybe that's just my thinking?

It kind of depends on how 'big' a band is.
    Most of the bigger bands don't sell CD's at gigs.
    Some of those band sell their "exclusive" releases at gigs. (Like Goldfrapp did with the Head First live double discs)
    If I go to relatively low key gigs it's always nice to buy a CD from the band.
    Have a small chat with them at the merch stand. Often it's even cheaper to buy CD's at gigs.
    And then there's bands playing at festivals or support acts you've never heard of.
    If you like them it's a good thing you're able to buy a CD from them after the gig.
    Post edited by Dreeke at 2013-06-30 18:20:17
  • APL said:

A sizeable majority of the "upper-bodywear" I own is gig t-shirts (and yes, I still have some from the late seventies/early eighties...most of which still fit, sort of)

But that doesn't make me a bad person, right? (Just deeply unfashionable)

APL

That sounds pretty cool to me, on a few levels haha

tell us some of your faves? :)
    It's a re-creation
    My imagination
  • Dreeke said:

Bells said:

I never understand why band CD's are sold as I would have thought if you like that band hence paying for a ticket to see said band you would already have the CD?? Maybe that's just my thinking?

It kind of depends on how 'big' a band is.
    Most of the bigger bands don't sell CD's at gigs.
    Some of those band sell their "exclusive" releases at gigs. (Like Goldfrapp did with the Head First live double discs)
    If I go to relatively low key gigs it's always nice to buy a CD from the band.
    Have a small chat with them at the merch stand. Often it's even cheaper to buy CD's at gigs.
    And then there's bands playing at festivals or support acts you've never heard of.
    If you like them it's a good thing you're able to buy a CD from them after the gig.

KT Tunstall last week had a guy called Brian Lopez as support (even though he's now part of her current band) and his album was there for £10. Admittedly it is surprisingly good but it cost more than what I paid for her album! Crazy (:|
  • Thing is though, at gigs you can be pretty sure a large percentage of those £10 will go to mr Lopez himself if you bought it there. And that's how it should be imho.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!