Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Dreams, and your subconscious mind...
  • 107 Comments sorted by
  • Oh, wow...do you mind if I interpret? Just my thoughts, so may be taken with a grain of salt.

It's your health whisper..crimes against your body "the Earth". You are the Native..the crime is losing touch with nature, represented by the earth tattoo leaving his "your" body. Losing touch with Nature, as in not eating a natural diet and taking chemical drugs could kill you..the teeth sinking into your chest. It's the subconcious alerting you. The Goldfrapp reference is a play on "Solar Plexus". The similarity to "Yellow Halo" is just another reminder of possible death. Your chest or heart is being attacked. There is a reminder when you awake..the pain.

Just my thoughts whisper. I am part Native American- Iroquois, and often feel we are losing touch with the natural world..so maybe it's even my own projections (?)

Found this interesting explanation of dream symbols by Jung-

U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Thanks, PG, that was grand. Connection with the Earth is one of the things I often bore people with, so you are pushing on an open door there. In fact, this morning, I woke with a resolution to review my meds and be ruthless about only taking the really necessary ones. Lots of dreams again last night...I could probably keep a whole faculty of Jungian analysts in business at the moment!

How about yours?   
  • I've been having nightmares lately...I've deciphered them though- they're about work. Dreams about being stranded in lifeboats and monsters...i'm not gonna get into it, but all work related. 8-|
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2016-01-13 23:41:38
    U R I E L
  • Has anyone ever read any articles or research into how the dreaming process changes as we age ( if it does)? I mean, I assume it does, what with memory and brain deterioration? There must have been studies done into the dreaming experiences of people with differing degrees of environmental and sensory stimulation or isolation too? I ask because I'm interested from a nerdy educationalist's point of view. I see more and more kids deprived of environmental stimulation for instance ( and I'm not linking that to their academic ability..but it could be proven one day maybe?)...and I'm just curious about how it links to their imaginative faculties etc...
    Just musing.. :-/
  • I had a look at some research, Kat. Apparently, in old age, dreams are slightly fewer - probably because sleep overall is more disrupted. Some people also report that they tend to be less emotionally intense too, but this might be a defence reflex rather than an absence of affect per se. Otherwise, I cant find any systematically reported differences.

Sensory/experiential deprivation is a different situation. Deliberately inflicted sensory deprivation is a known torture technique, of course, and people also use flotation tanks etc to give themselves brief experiences of sensory deprivation. What's interesting is that the response seems to be that the brain starts to over-compensate, and generates not only vivid dreams, but also quasi-hallucinatory states when awake.

But your "under-stimulated" kids may be in a different situation. If they have not experienced appropriate stimulation in the first couple of years of life, their brains may not wire up with rich/complex connections. Maybe this would  result in impoverished dreaming?
  • Very interesting Whisperit...thank you for your comments. It's a fascinating subject. I wonder if we will ever invent the technology one day to see another s dreams? I hope not. I guess I, like most people, thought that death was the final taboo..but I guess exploring another person's subconscious ( or your own!) is even more whacked out than that..
  • Interesting thoughts Kat. Hypothetically, what if one person could see into another person's mind? How would you explain it? This is veering off into 'psychic' territory..but still is dealing with a subconscious part of the brain, like in sleep. How does one explain psychic ability? I have a hard time getting my head around it. Say you think about something, then quite literally that thing will happen. Or say you know a person's name or history without them telling you. Did the brain construct a thought, then energetically the thought manifested..or was there precognition? We are all connected somehow. Through waves? I'm rambling...gonna leave it here..
    U R I E L
  • Such a lot of "psychic" power seems bogus to me - not deliberately so, but more in the way of the way we have a natural inclination to seek out patterns, connections and coincidences, and to discount the times when our intuitions and hunches lead nowhere. So its just statistics that sometimes these things work out.

But I do also think that we *are* all connected like you say, PG. We have unconscious processes at work all the time to help us "read" other people - their emotional states, intentions etc. We are looking for these "tells" all the time without being aware of it. We have all sorts of neural systems to do this - mirror neurons being a particularly fascinating one. We're also wired up to make associations between certain physical cues from the environment and our historical experiences. I'm sure you've read research into how our decisions appear to be made by our bodies before our minds have had the time to formulate our thoughts about it - as if the brain operates to justify the decisions our bodies have already made.

Obviously, some people have much more sensitive systems than others, and can make these associations, decisions and "readings" more easily and flexibly than others. That's what  "psychic" means to me, anyway.
    Post edited by whisperit at 2016-01-22 06:36:47
  • I think we should ask Alison. She's wired to the world and knows everything. God, that must be a drag!
    failing that, let's ask the lake. It knows all the answers. Somebody pass me my waders!!
  • I guess being wired to the world is the only way to change the bad transistor sister ;) Oh and I asked the lake too, she said come on over and bring your pole. :D
    Post edited by Ponygurl at 2016-01-24 12:37:00
    U R I E L
  • I need to get to that lake, pronto.
  • I had the strangest dream, like a waking dream. Does that make sense? I'll tell you. There is a rampant chemical company in crop science. They deliver genetically modified corn to Latin America. Within several years, severe birth defects show up in newborns with the corrupt gene. The population cannot explain it, they were told the corn was safe. A Nazi propaganda machine starts, telling the native population..it's an insect causing your problems. The local government unknowingly starts fumigating and telling pregnant woman to apply pesticide. Of course, this is to sell more pesticide and knock out the population. In the dream I am thinking..."How do I tell these Latin American countries they've been deceived and it's the poisonous corn crop causing these horrific genetic mutations? How do I get the word out?" An awful nightmare really...then I awoke. Wake-up, wake-up...was the alarm bell as I opened my eyes-
    U R I E L
  • Do we need to revive the Conspiracy Theories thread PG?
  • No, I need a direct line to the Brazilian CDC..for realsies.
    U R I E L
  • :-bd
    I plan to watch a programme that was on British TV last night, shortly. About Donald Trump. That'll give me plenty of bitch-fodder lol for a few days!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!