Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
Dreams, and your subconscious mind...
  • 107 Comments sorted by
  • First you need to mop up it sounds !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Lol. Never happens to me. Crocodiles in the sewers yes, Alison in the backseat, nah.
  • I had a bad dream this morning. I was tossing and turning and it was actually hard for me to come out of the dream- but somehow I forced myself awake. It was about perfection and love. Perfection was this curse keeping me from the one I loved. It ran in a loop, where I wanted my life to be perfect before I allowed myself love- so I was wrestling with myself...my physical appearance, my worldly possessions, my talents, etc. and this need for perfection was keeping me alone. I guess the dream kind of speaks for itself- glad I woke up and can address it now.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Wow!  You have some seriously detailed dreams, PG!
  • LOL! I dreamed that I was on the Kardashian reality show, but I didn't know any of their names (which I don't). To compensate, I simply started blurting out anything that started with K.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Do you dream in colour PG? I cannot remember my dreams at all but Mrs T has the most vivid, technicolor dreams that go into very fine detail. They run like a movie plot with a script and you can quiz her on the content afterwards to get even greater detail. Weird !
  • Post edited by iuventus at 2015-07-20 20:40:57
  • I do dream in color UT. Mine are also vivid. I don't remember many dreams..I'd say prob one every week or two and when I'm in the process of waking up. They normally leave me with an emotional feeling and the more I explore it, the more its meaning becomes apparent to me. It's as if when brainwave activity shifts, your subconscious mind is activated and allowed to send, receive and process wave information on a deeper level. I say deep, because it may be things you're actually experiencing and/or aware of in waking hours- but for some reason deflecting or avoiding. Can the brain repair and correct its own pathways in sleep like the body heals itself? Is it a form of psychological repair?

@iuv That's a neat article- its like hypnosis, or an assimilation of wave patterns received more clearly because the other senses are not in process mode...maybe sleep allows the brain more focus in certain areas, such as auditory. So interesting.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Have you ever explored lucid dreaming, @Ponygurl?
  • Ponygurl said:

It's as if when brainwave activity shifts, your subconscious mind is activated and allowed to send, receive and process wave information on a deeper level.

That sure makes sense to me.  So many times have I been in that not-quite-asleep state, usually in the morning, in which something that I have been pondering, during my waking hours with little success, becomes crystal clear.
  • certain systems of the brain are shut down, and others ramped up during REM sleep, of course. One of the most interesting features is that although your body's response to movement commands is switched off (unless you sleepwalk), dreamers typically report much higher levels of physical movement in their dreams than in real life (for example, it is very unusual to dream of sitting down and just writing or watching something passively for an hour - in our dreams we inevitably get to run, leap, swim and fly.) In other words, once actual movement is prevented, our brain requires us to *imagine* movement in order to generate a sense of self.  

Another feature is that our emotion centres are especially active in REM sleep, so that most dreamers report intense emotions, which aren't congruent with the superficial dream content. ("I felt a terrible sense of dread, but all that was happening was that I was running down the street", or "I was at a dance and was filled with total blissfulness and peace")

Post edited by whisperit at 2015-07-21 11:49:57
  • Last night, Mrs T was hobnobbing with Robbie Williams and Robin Williams. There was a band and she was trying to get them to sing a duet with them.
  • Nice insights, Whisperit.  Are dreams like a vocation for you or just a hobby?

whisperit said:

our brain requires us to *imagine* movement in order to generate a sense of self.  

That makes sense to me as it seems most people feel they are not alive unless they are active.
    Post edited by Whickwithy at 2015-07-21 18:48:43
  • ^Those insights are not mine, btw - they are from proper science type people like J Allan Hobson.

To add my thought to yours on the movement/selfhood question, WW -  doesn't it mirror some of our earliest learning about ourselves? The earliest stage of "play" is "embodied" activity, when the infant learns which stuff in the world is a part of her, and which is not; how much space she takes up; what she can do to manipulate stuff; how high, how heavy, how fast...all those things.
  • Yes, indeed, Whisperit.  But, when does thinking come into the equation?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!