Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
It is too quiet on here right now. So talk about anything.....
  • 372 Comments sorted by
  • Still, there's got to be some connection between how looker and keeper, in whatever slang generated them, flipped from agent to patient.
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • iuventus said:

Still, there's got to be some connection between how looker and keeper, in whatever slang generated them, flipped from agent to patient.

One would think so, wouldn't one?
  • That's the thing.
  • She's definitely not a 4 pinter !
    One who pints. Construe that one playmates !
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • To pint is not a verb.  To pant is a verb.  To panth is not a verb (or any other manner of word), but there is such a thing as a panther.
  • She certainly is a stonker.
    One who stonks? (We can keep this up all night as I have a profanasaurus by my right hand).
  • Pet, linguistics hasn't been prescriptive in decades; so, we generally don't say things like "You can't say that," or "That ain't a word."

In the case of pinter, it's the verbification of the noun converted back to a noun with agent function (rather than the patient function of looker and keeper) ; cf. party (n) > party (v) > partier. Seems that pinter skips the middle step altogether (unless in the UK one can pint). Another paper-worthy phenomenon.

Still trying to figure out how to categorize those agent-patient conversions. Agent-patient conversion...hmmm...
    Post edited by iuventus at 2014-11-12 15:22:53
  • Without wishing to be overly-prescriptive, I doubt whether 'panth' is a word.  (Except for people with lisps, who may well wear panth -- but they'd better not let a panther catch them at it.)   My introduction of 'panth' and 'panther' into the discussion was a species of joke.  (The species may be Panthera pardus.)

As to 'stonker', there is a word 'stonking'... but a verb 'to stonk' may possibly be a back formation.
  • Stonk is a military word; artillery actually. It means to deposit ordanance onto a target, either a building or people/soldiers. It can be a verb, as in 'stonk them' and a noun as in 'take cover, it's a stonk'
    To pick up on Iuventus' point about the modern habit of bending linguistic rules, this is true of English, which is flexible and withstands such abuse, but does not work in French, due to its stricter rules. Many a time I have been in France and have used the right word in conversation but mixed up its gender assignment and the French will look at you as though you are speaking gibberish.
  • I was referring to pint as a verb, Pet. However, I'll have you know that I was panthing just the other night (under my future boyfriend's bedroom window). Hence, I am a panther. You surely wouldn't argue if that had been one of Shakespeare's inventions, would you?
  • Isn't it odd that we use the word "fucker" as derogatory? I mean, in reality, you're all just a bunch of fuckers. Strange how the English language has perverted the meaning into something negative. Come to think of it, I guess I'm a fucker too on rare occasion.
    U R I E L
    What is done in the dark will always come to light
  • Looker / Lookee
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Ponygurl said:

Isn't it odd that we use the word "fucker" as derogatory? I mean, in reality, you're all just a bunch of fuckers. Strange how the English language has perverted the meaning into something negative. Come to think of it, I guess I'm a fucker too on rare occasion.

Even more odd is using "cunt" in such a way.  Not only is a cunt a wonderful thing, but it's where we all come from.  It's the gateway to the world.
  • Stonk is a military word; artillery actually. It means to deposit ordanance onto a target, either a building or people/soldiers. It can be a verb, as in 'stonk them' and a noun as in 'take cover, it's a stonk'
    To pick up on Iuventus' point about the modern habit of bending linguistic rules, this is true of English, which is flexible and withstands such abuse, but does not work in French, due to its stricter rules. Many a time I have been in France and have used the right word in conversation but mixed up its gender assignment and the French will look at you as though you are speaking gibberish.

My Dad was in the Royal Artillery during the war.  But, as he was a bombardier in charge of a searchlight lorry, he wouldn't have done any stonking.  I never heard him use the word.

• LuDux said:

Looker / Lookee

Lookyloo!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!