Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
It is too quiet on here right now. So talk about anything.....
  • 372 Comments sorted by
  • I know what you mean, i get a little giddy when i hear the Ooh la la iphone adverts come on. You rarerly ever hear them here in the U.S. So, having them jump out at you from the TV set is a fun little thrill.
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-01-05 18:19:05
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • And now it is made it into the paper i buy 6 days a week, The Bolton News. It is on their website too.
    JAMIE CARRAGHER= LEGEND
  • Couldn't remember which thread it was where we were mentioning odd names? so this one will have to do.

It was my brother who had the honour of knowing someone (female) going by the (real) name of "Aynel".

I've just had an e-mail enquiry about a room/work here.. from someone (presumably a lady) called "Tytti". Now, come on... really?! :-)
  • Readers of the Swallows and Amazons books will recall that the youngest girl is called Titty.  This was the genuine nickname of the real little girl on whom the Titty character was based.  Evidently, Arthur Ransome saw nothing odd about it.  Without looking them up, I forget the details, but the name Titty stemmed from a character (a mouse, I think) in a children's book.
  • Pet, some of my favourite books as a child.
    The BBC renamed one character played by Susan George as 'Kitty Walker' in the mini-series filmed in the 1960s
    Post edited by Bottlehead at 2014-07-09 09:05:23
  • Random confession: I can't wait for this World Cup Fifa thing to be over. A months worth of soccer/football is just way too much. Thank God it's only once every four years! There's far too much emphasis and money spent on ball games as it is. Sorry, I'm not that sporty.
    Post edited by A_is_A at 2014-07-10 19:13:31
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • A_is_A said:

Random confession: I can't wait for this World Cup Fifa thing to be over. A months worth of soccer/football is just way too much. Thank God it's only once every four years! There's far too much emphasis and money spent ball games as it is. Sorry, I'm that sporty.

I would imagine there are a lot of people hanging from lamp posts in Brazil this morning.
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • Pet, some of my favourite books as a child.
    The BBC renamed one character played by Susan George as 'Kitty Walker' in the mini-series filmed in the 1960s

They're brilliant books.  Well worth re-reading as an adult.

"Kitty Walker" -- pah!  She's Titty Walker.  Get over it!   Actually, if the original Titty was a mouse, and a Kitty is a cat...
  • A_is_A said:

Random confession: I can't wait for this World Cup Fifa thing to be over. A months worth of soccer/football is just way too much. Thank God it's only once every four years! There's far too much emphasis and money spent ball games as it is. Sorry, I'm that sporty.

I agree 100%.  I can see why people enjoy playing with balls, but watching them is another matter.  And way too much money is spent on it.  Playing games should be about enjoyment, not spending millions.
  • 2 Hollywood actors and a famous ball player likely make more money than a football field full of teachers and scientists. It's sickening.
    LOVE tasted CRITICAL
  • Likely? If I told you what I made as a teacher and how many I hours I had to work...
    If I were dead, could I do this?
  • Don't get me started.....! That's why Catherine and I were on strike yesterday.....the media warps everything so much, that's what sickens me too.and Minger Gove claiming that those on strike do not represent " the future of the profession" ( was that a veiled threat FishFace?! ) or "care about the children they teach". Well....given that there's an exodus of good teachers from the profession he needs to be careful what he says about it's future. Of course, what he really meant was those who do strike can piss off out of it and be replaced by younger, malleable , apathetic, apolitical and even lower paid newbees .
    Yet we are still expected to work til 68! And standards need to be raised even higher! Hmmm.....the whiff of academy!

Feel free to move this post to the Raaaant! Or Conspiracy Theories thread. Or start a new one...but that could just be me blowing off steam and stamping my hooves, grrrrrr!!!!
  • Something that annoys me is when television newsreaders say that someone earns an obscenely huge sum.  'Paid' and 'earned' are not interchangeable words.  It's like the often repeated phrase 'gambling industry'.  In my view, industry makes things.  Of course, gambling makes misery.  Perhaps I wouldn't mind the phrase 'misery industry' for betting shops, payday lenders, etc. etc.
  • Hmm...Suarez is "worth" £75 million ( I just heard on the news). Worth- another word Pet that makes my blood boil....
    :D
    (Thought I'd use that smiley, not cos I'm happy with the fact but in honour of that pathetic snivelling little cannibal's gnashers!!!).
    Oo dear......you can tell it's nearing the end of term lol!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!