Welcome to the new Goldfrapp forum. Enjoy your new home! X
  • 88 Comments sorted by
  • Oh!  Just realized I missed a word.  When I said "hard core atheist", I should have said, "and narcissist".  Heck, probably solipsist, as well.
  • I once called out to see if there were any other Solipsist’s in my area but it seemed nobody was listening,
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ.
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit.
    Shall lure it back to cancal half a line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
  • I think you understood when I said, "no matter what they verbally profess about their beliefs".  That was kind of key to the statement.

There are all kinds of people that profess their religious beliefs whereas their actions belie their words.  Most people, not just managers (I really can't call any of them- government or religious - leaders), profess what they find convenient with no shred of sincerity or contemplation.  Religion is no more than a bludgeon used to justify whatever nonsense they wish.... The managers (ceo's and such) are just genius at aligning their nonsense to suit their animalistic ('sinning' nature) needs...

Thanks.

But atheism isn't defined as "a hypocritical profession of religious belief". Neither is it, "having god beliefs that coincide with one's personal interests".  

Clearly, many people are hypocrites. Many (perhaps most) choose god beliefs that fit with their world view. And I'm sure that to be the CEO of a fossil fuel corporation necessitates a degree of practical sociopathy. But when Doug McMillon declares he is a "born again Christian", regularly prays to a Christian God, attends church and carries out tasks that he believes that God mandates, to insist he is a "hard core atheist" is nonsensical.
  • I do not think I disagree with any of what you are saying.
  • As long as they are not doing sociopathic, self-serving, or other things that do not align with the teachings of their "saviour".  I can't think of a one, though, that I know, that are such.
  • I can think of one exception for christians but, even the use of that out, would prove the case.  The christian religion (or, at least some branches) teaches that anyone can be forgiven.  If a person goes to church while letting his soul get chipped away by the "exigencies of career", then he is using the religion, not following it.  

I'd put that in the category of atheist.
  • Many of those that teach Jesus teachings "love thy neighbor", "be good or burn in hell" etc actually don't believe in God and Jesus and are hard core atheists. Prove me wrong
    I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • This guy, Kenneth Copeland, I supposed to be a Christian. My Dad had a saying, “If he’s right, I’m glad I’m wrong” & if Copeland is truly a Christian, & not just some charlatan soaking desperate suckers for cash, then I’m glad I do not identify with a religion; particularly his brand of it. 

• Apparently, a conservative estimate of Copeland’s wealth is $300 million.
    What more is there to be said.
  • I guess one could envision a person that goes to church due to a sincere desire to 'become good'.  Still, there isn't a single corporate executive that I think could make that argument.

As I was pondering this idea, I kept envisioning some grasping, greedy, self-involved executive (of which I've known quite a few) "desperately seeking to become good".  Yeah, right.

• This guy, Kenneth Copeland, I supposed to be a Christian. My Dad had a saying, “If he’s right, I’m glad I’m wrong” & if Copeland is truly a Christian, & not just some charlatan soaking desperate suckers for cash, then I’m glad I do not identify with a religion; particularly his brand of it. 

I take the needle off the Technics and put it in my vein
  • Kenneth Copeland's eyes make my spine twitch. He's the clearest example of a sociopath exploiting the gullible and uneducated.  

• Sociopath?
    I would elevate him up to full psychopath status.  
  • There is no real difference between sociopathy and psychopathy other than connotations.  If there is any difference, it is a fine line.

Psychopathy: A personality disorder characterized by deceitfulness, manipulation, grandiosity, lack of empathy or guilt, and often aggressive or violent behavior. It is sometimes considered a subset of antisocial personality disorder.

Sociopathy: Anti-social personality disorder

Anti-social personality disorder: characterized by a conspicuous disregard for the rights and needs of others.   A lack of maturity, unwillingness to take responsibility, and emotional instability. The chief characteristic of such persons is an apparent lack of conscience.

I won't theorize
  • We were always told that the main difference between A Sociopath & a Psychopath was their relationship with agressive behaviour & violence. Sociopaths do not, generally, take part in such behaviour, but are comfortable in it being a consequence of their actions. Psychopaths are generally much more ‘hands on’ in that respect.
    Some politicians could/should be identified as Sociopaths whereas, in the UK, Fred West & Myra Hindle/Ian Brady & the Kray twins would be Psychopaths.
    Post edited by Urban_Tribesman at 2020-12-15 09:00:59

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!